Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ The systemic anti-psionic discrimination needs to end!

Codex Year of the Donut
Now that I have your attention,
list your favorite RPGs that have psionics.

Codex Year of the Donut
first we need to ask ourselves, what is a psionic?
psion.jpg

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
Underrail, Dark Sun. That PSP D&D Tactics game had Psionics, but I don't really remember much about it.

Wow, I like psionics but I'm having trouble thinking of more. Doesn't Encased have something? I didn't want to touch that one until it's out of EA.

overly excitable young man

And here i thought "psionics" is only an excuse to have magic in settings other than fantasy like post-apoc (Underrail) or cyberpunk (SS2).

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Wizardry 8 and System Shock 2. In Wiz8 they kinda suck and in SS2 I never actually did a pure psionic run. Might be a good idea for a next playthrough.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Persoanlly, I've never liked psionics in fantasy.
It just feels wrong in a "generic western medieval world in vacuum"; same as dragonborns and oriental monks.
It's ok if it's an innate power of some monsters or "alien" races, like Ilithids (and the gith), but not something widespread and available to players.

To me the rightful place for psionic is in modern, post-apoc and sci-fi settings.
And if we look in that direction, there's a number of games of all rpg sub-genres with psionics -
from Mass Effect (they call them biotics, just because), to Startcrawlers (2 kinds of psykers), to X-Com.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Please be more creative, the "fantasy" label implies that you're allowed to use your imagination.

That reminds me about a short discussion about what is fantasy I had in Solasta discord.
It's akin to the eternal question of what is an rpg.

I know a lot people would call "fantasy" almost any shit they can't find a better word for, maybe with additional desriptors like "medieval fantasy", "urban fantasy", "whatever fantasy". And I'm ok with that.

But for me pure, without any additional buzzwords "fantasy" is always associated with basically a fairy tale for grown ups, set in a medieval setting with magic.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Wizardry 8 and System Shock 2. In Wiz8 they kinda suck and in SS2 I never actually did a pure psionic run. Might be a good idea for a next playthrough.
I wouldn't count Wiz8 psionics here, as they are basically just another sub-class of casters with bit different spell repertoire.

Beside SS2, I think that good example would be ciphers from PoE - they're played differently than wizards, have entirely different spells/abilities, and you can go with several different builds for them, instead of regular 'backrow caster' one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom