Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 from Hardsuit Labs

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Roguey
That's right up your alley.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Wait, what? How'd I miss this? https://www.bloodlines2.com/en/production-in-the-age-of-covid-19

[...] In some cases, the destination isn’t even really known. Continuing the bus analogy - it’s the job of production to listen to those giving directions and then filter, mediate, and align those voices to one direction; while also marking it down on the map so everyone knows the plan. [...]

[...] The other parts of production come from soft skills that revolve around integrating with teams, understanding their needs, and supporting them in more profound ways than planning. To me, a producer should be someone who can advocate for their team (or teams) and affect real change because they genuinely trust and understand their perspective. They should also have built trust with the members of their team because it has to go both directions. A good producer should be listening to and supporting the developers they oversee - but at the end of the day, they are responsible for getting the project across the finish line. This can result in a conflict between what their department leads want and what the budget, timeline, etc., allow for. Building trust with their team(s) is crucial because it helps make those conversations more about the project’s quality and less about the business aspect of development.

That trust and understanding is not usually something that is easily cultivated or maintained. Like any relationship (work or otherwise) effort needs to be applied to keep things in a healthy state. This has become more difficult in the age of COVID-19 because popping over to someone’s desk to chat or taking a coffee/lunch/walking break with a coworker isn’t possible the same way it used to be. Those types of human interactions help build a relationship more organically and naturally.

This doesn’t mean it’s impossible to build those connections, but more effort is required to develop and maintain them. I guess the easiest way to put this is: the same types of learning and adjusting that we have had to do socially – during COVID - also applies to how production staff have had to shift to maintain the aspects of our jobs that are less about “paper work” and more about “people work”. [...]

:makesyouthink:

compvet24

Educated
What in the name of fuck...I knew the game was having some issues and was on a one way ticket to turn into a dumpster fire, but literally firing Brian Mitsoda? :what:

I am now completely convinced that there is not a single person working at Hardsuit Labs nor Paradox that has a functioning brain.
We're at the point now where even redditors are saying 'fuck this game'. What a monumental waste of 5 years and resources. Hope all the ones behind this decision never work or touch any other beloved franchise again, let alone another job. Truly saddening.

Zyondyne

Learned
You just don't fire Brian Mitsoda.

Oh come on, this isn't some tiny Kickstarter project. The market they're aiming for doesn't even know who Mitsoda is, let alone care greatly about his termination.

The poor marketing they've done pretty much ensures newcomers won't care about the game either.

They just alienated most of the fans of Bloodlines 1. That means lost sales and angering the vocal minority of old Bloodline fans in exchange for...what?

And let's be honest, if the game is in a poor state, it isn't because of the narrative lead. We've all seen that one gameplay trailer and story & dialogue were the last problem it had.

What's the new narrative lead gonna do in the little time they have left? Redesign all the game by himself? Restart the game from scratch? Redo all the disappointing facial animations by himself?

They identified the wrong problems and they stirred sh*t for nothing.

Last edited:

Wunderbar

Arcane
vtmb isn't some household name like fallout, paradox were heavily banking on fans of original.
Fallout was not a household name with the mass market before Fallout 3, so you're making my point for me. Also "Fallout" is different from "Brian Fargo."
no one on Fo3 was loudly fired just a few months before the release, no one famous at least. Plus Fallout wasn't a brainchild of a single person, Fo1 and Fo2 were designed by different people.

Firing Mitsoda now would be like firing Avellone from the official PST sequel. Or firing Kojima from MGS5.

Vatnik Wumao
Brutal. Poor Brian, he must be devastated.

Don't know how anyone would recover from that shit. Seriously blows.
Quislings deserve everything they get.

Edit for Prime Junta: Once you tacitly approve of IdPol lunacy (which is a given in most Western gaming studios), then there's no pity to be had when you get burned by the radicals.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Firing Mitsoda now would be like firing Avellone from the official PST sequel. Or firing Kojima from MGS5.

Both of these men have WAY more social recognition than fucking Mitsoda, and even with them I doubt it matters much. Maybe if you made a niche targeted Planescape 2 Kickstarter Avellone would be important, but not with a bigger mainstream game like this one wants to be. Did MGS5 fail? Wikipedia says best sales in the franchise and extremely high critical reviews, so I'm guessing it didn't. You guys seriously have to recognize what a small niche we're in even knowing these names let alone caring about them. Saying "you do not fire Mitsoda!" is a big wet fart outside of sites like this one.

Prime Junta

Magnat I mustn't have been paying attention, when did Brian go full idpol? And is there any indication that Being Problematic is what earned him the bullet in the back of the neck?

Vatnik Wumao
Magnat I mustn't have been paying attention, when did Brian go full idpol? And is there any indication that Being Problematic is what earned him the bullet in the back of the neck?
I was going by what other 'dexers posted, particularly the MCA comparison.

Why would they fire him otherwise this late into production anyhow?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
DalekFlay You might have had a point if this game was riding on some epic hype, but right now these guys need all the goodwill they can get. What can he have possibly done that wasn't worth continuing to pay his salary until the game released?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom