Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Brian Mitsoda fired from Bloodlines 2

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Brian Mitsoda; Hardsuit Labs; Ka'ai Cluney; Paradox Interactive; Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2

Following much speculation about the state of Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 after its recently announced delay, today Paradox and Hardsuit decided to publish an additional update detailing what they meant by "organizational changes". Shockingly, it turns out that in addition to creative director Ka'ai Cluney, narrative lead Brian Mitsoda has also been removed from the project and fired from Hardsuit Labs for unspecified reasons. Replacing them for the final stages of the game's development is one Alexandre Mandryka, a creative consultant who has previously worked at Relic Entertainment and Ubisoft.

Hi everyone,​

Paradox Interactive and Hardsuit Labs have some important updates to share today. We recently shared that we were making some organizational changes to the Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 team, as promised, we will now give an update on what that means.

Lead Narrative Designer Brian Mitsoda and Creative Director Ka’ai Cluney are no longer part of the team at Hardsuit Labs. This was a joint decision made by the leadership of Hardsuit Labs and Paradox Interactive.

We appreciate, and value, the contributions of Brian and Ka’ai, which were instrumental in establishing the game's storyline and dark tone and have helped to ensure that we are making a true successor to the iconic Bloodlines. We wish them both the best in their future endeavors.

With that, we are excited to announce that Alexandre Mandryka has come aboard as Creative Consultant, filling the Creative Director role for Bloodlines 2, and will help us in the final stages of development. Alexandre is committed to following the vision that is in place, and successfully bringing Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 to the fans.

Alexandre has been in the industry for more than 20 years and has worked on iconic franchises such as Assassin’s Creed, Warhammer 40,000, Far Cry, and more. With a long history of shipping excellent franchises, we are excited with what Alexandre brings to the game and the World of Darkness.

These changes to the team are focused on one thing: to bring you the best possible Vampire: The Masquerade game. We will share further updates as they occur.

We thank you all for understanding.
The drama doesn't end there. Brian Mitsoda has reacted in a statement to Rock Paper Shotgun, revealing that he was fired last month, suddenly and unexpectedly. He claims that his work as narrative designer had nothing to do with the game's delay and that he'd never been led to believe that he'd failed in his duties.

Until recently, I was the Narrative Lead on a videogame called Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines 2 for Hardsuit Labs, Inc being published by Paradox Interactive (which owns 30% of Hardsuit Labs). After almost five years involvement with the studio, I was suddenly terminated on 7/16/20.

That this came as a shock to me is underselling it. I’ve worked on Bloodlines 2 for almost five years. The story and main cast was initially conceived in my living room. I helped develop the pitch for Hardsuit Labs and helped pitch the project to Paradox in Las Vegas. I’ve been in charge of the narrative since the beginning, working long days and sometimes weekends to deliver a successor to Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, and I’ve never been led to believe that I hadn’t succeeded. Very obviously, I have also been involved in the PR and marketing side of things, even though it was one of the most difficult parts for me. I’m a pretty private person – press and crowds tend to heavily trigger my social anxiety (which, if you’ve ever wondered about the gloves, they are “armor” that make me feel less exposed in situations that trigger my anxiety).

Bloodlines and the fandom of the game mean the world to me. So I lent my legacy with the franchise, my name, and my participation in marketing efforts for the game, even when it was intensely difficult and took a mental and physical toll. This is all because I wanted to do what was best for the game and the team.

The pride in the work, the fan expectations, and the support from co-workers who started out as fans kept me going through this long five years. And I’m incredibly disappointed and frustrated to say that this is where it ends for me on the project.

I was not part of the conversations that led to the decision to delay production, and to my knowledge, there were no delays caused by the Bloodlines 2 narrative development. I am confident and proud of the work that I and my team put forward. When that work will be seen and what form it will take is unknown to me.

It was a pleasure to work on this game and with many people at Hardsuit Labs and Paradox and I’m sorry I won’t be able to see it to the end. I spent years on some of the best characters and dialogue that I ever wrote. It’s meant a lot to hear from the Bloodlines community and I do hope that what’s finally delivered is as satisfying as I intended it to be. Thanks to all of you who supported me throughout the project.
Poor Brian. This is now the second time he's been fired from his own pet project (the first being Alpha Protocol). But seriously, what could he have done that was worth the bad publicity that will result from this? It seems crazy. Oh and before you ask, this being 2020, they've already clarified that it's not a sexual harassment thing.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Not surprising, in the interviews Mitsoda was in the back and those female faggots and other leftists were given more importance. I knew then that it doesn't bode well (post below is from May 2019):

It's indicative that that female faggot is talking and not Brian Mitsoda (suggesting she's more important than Brian Mitsoda). Doesn't bode too well for the game if you ask me.

Codex Year of the Donut
Not surprising, in the interviews Mitsoda was in the back and those female faggots and other leftists were given more importance. I knew then that it doesn't bode well (post below is from May 2019):

It's indicative that that female faggot is talking and not Brian Mitsoda (suggesting she's more important than Brian Mitsoda). Doesn't bode too well for the game if you ask me.
saved before they remove their ratings and tuck their tail between their legs
QQidjTi.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
He was probably not woke enough to be in line with nu-Bloodlines. It's always the politics.

Lots of people on the Codex are going to automatically assume this because they like Mitsoda, but in his case it's probably more likely that he'd be removed because Paradox want to cut woke content.

I mean if the game is behind schedule, it's likely that some content will need to be cut. Maybe they think Mitsoda and Cluney aren't up to the job.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This is just highly suspicious.
His work on the game was pretty much done and THEN he gets fired? Did they just want to save some money near the end or what?

Other than being lead writer, he wasn't really organizationally involved, was he?
That might have explained it, considering their last update.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Lots of people on the Codex are going to automatically assume this because they like Mitsoda, but in his case it's probably more likely that he'd be removed because Paradox want to cut woke content.
If that were the case they would have told him so and if he wouldn't comply THEN they would go for a different approach. I don't see how they would assume that Mitsoda just wouldn't do what they would tell him to do (especially if it really was cutting our current politics and political correctness from a game that shouldn't have such elements) before asking and from Mitsoda we know that his termination was unexpected and there wasn't even a hint of it. He's just as shocked about this decision as we are for a good reason.

If anything the game will get even more woke, especially considering that studio is located in negro-Seattle.

The Great ThunThun*

How DARE you!?
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Hello men.

What I find surprising is that Brian Ohnefizz came to complain after a month since the news was known to him. Was he under some kind of a binding agreement? Why now? He is clearly quite annoyed with this, so I assume that he has no culpability. It is most certainly not that they have cut costs because they immediately made a new hire.

Infinitron suggests that this was because he wrote "woke" content. I mean, lul, right?

Earth to Infinitron: this is WoD we are talking about.

I speculate the reason being sinister and Ohnegas telling us all about it soon enough a la MCA. I personally like the chap and I am hoping that he gets some reprieve... This is a bad time to be unemployed.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Other than being lead writer, he wasn't really organizationally involved, was he?.

This. The fact they sacked the lead writer p. much rules out it was due to some delay in the final stages of production.

It must've been due to something, well, writing related. So it could be something related to rewrites of the main game content or maybe to planed expansions that might be in pre-production now.

Whether Mitsoda was too woke or not woke enough or if wokeness was involved at all, who the fuck knows. My guess is Paradox is not the kind of publisher that would push for more wokeness even at the cost of firing a legendary developer. I don't see something that extreme happening even in most American publishing houses. But who knows.

(Btw on an unrelated note, wasn't that clown Laidlaw sacked from Ubisoft for being too woke and then the dude who sacked him was meetooed or some such?)

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
What I find surprising is that Brian Ohnefizz came to complain after a month since the news was known to him. Was he under some kind of a binding agreement? Why now? He is clearly quite annoyed with this, so I assume that he has no culpability. It is most certainly not that they have cut costs because they immediately made a new hire.

It could have also been a cost-cutting measure, or else maybe they would have tried to keep him around in a reduced role. The guy they hired sounds like a contractor, not a full employee, and he's replacing two guys. Remember that Mitsoda is not the only one who was fired here (which is another reason not to jump to the conclusion that he's gone because somebody found the words "All Lives Matter" written in his notebook)

As for why he reacted only now, probably it's because they announced it now and he thought it would be poor form to talk about it before then.

The Great ThunThun*

How DARE you!?
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

It could have also been a cost-cutting measure, or else maybe they would have tried to keep him around. The guy they hired sounds like a contractor, not a full employee, and he's replacing two guys. Remember that Mitsoda is not the only one who was fired here (which is another reason not to jump to the conclusion that he's gone because somebody found the words "All Lives Matter" written in his notebook)

As for why he reacted only now, probably it's because they announced it now and he thought it would be poor form to talk about it before then.
My dear Infinitron...

Let us say you wish to "cut costs". Let's say you are apple. Do you fire 100 low tech employees or do you fire the CFO?

What is you first thought when you hear they fired the CFO: They are covering up for his crimes/stupidity. The brand suffers due to such decisions.

So unless the man has committed some strange crime, I can not see how this is "cutting costs".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom