Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 from Hardsuit Labs

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I had no hopes that this was going to be good, but Cara being (presumably?) now in charge of narrative while Mitsoda can only watch just makes me laugh.

Part of me admires your casual cruelty, the other part of me is disgusted.

Yosharian

Arcane
The Bloodlines 2 Discord server was popping off. There were a shitload of corporate dick suckers who believe complaining about the direction the writing took and the firing of Mitsoda is all just an "alt-right dogwhistle" as you'd expect. I guess this is the game's audience now, virtue signalers. There was some god-tier shitposting though.
So post that shit...

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Management finally had enough of the gloves,eh? ;)

Seriously though, this is pretty grim news indeed. What could possibly be the reason for firing one of the key devs and inspirations for the game?
Seems extremely strange.

I expect Rogueyyyyy to get on it and investigate DEEP into this matter.

Harthwain

Magister
The speculation is they are rewriting the story, hence why Mitsoda was booted and the release is delayed even further.

Or maybe they want to capitalize on the preorder refund tax and will just cancel the game altogether once all refunds are done?

maximusriley

Literate
This sounds like cold hard business to me. They're running out of money, the writing is probably already done, so they fired the lead writer. Sucks for Brian, but we don't know how bad things are over there. It could be the choice between firing some people now, or the studio going bankrupt and having to fire everyone in a few months.

Longes

Augur
even they realize how fucking embarrassing it'd be to have to admit your game's writing is being headed by a fucking game journo (Cara Ellison) now.

She (?) worked on Dishonored 2 so she(?) already got some cred, even if there was dicksucking involved.
I'm sure their current target audience would prefer a stronk woman (?) over a wyte.
The problem is that role for D2 was a "consultant" one to my understanding so they must be really grasping for fucking straws if that's the case.
"Consultant" usually means overpriced (because your boss sells you for a thousand bucks per day) and underpaid (because you get a tiny fraction of that) gofer doing tasks contracted staff can't or won't do. It's exactly like being a freelancer, but instead of working for yourself you've got a pimp.

Cael

Arcane
Efy1WftXsAEwV8x

He was never a chad. He was the definition of an insecure cuck with muh alternative fashion look at me! he is a a homosexual or a wimp.
Is he the guy who is married to a tranny? Or was it someone else?

HumanAndHalf

Literate
How the fuck do we not know why this has happened yet? You'd think someone would have the balls to defy NDA or whatever
last time big Vampirse fuck up happened, White Wolf were prohibited from writing literature and their leadership got changed. Maybe they really fear Paradox in the studio.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Tyranny will probably be forever known as one of those games that had a lot of potential but ultimately fell short.

That's Obsidian in a nutshell.*

*With FONV the shining exception to this rule.

You're forgetting Grounded.

Meanwhile, Grounded goes on to become Obsidian's best-selling game and the studio switches gears to more casual games for younger audiences, as the codex can only collectively shake their heads and mumble something about 2020 being cancelled.

jackofshadows

Magister
Well at least from now on when the game will be released, any writing-related horse shit (SJW or not) could be shrugged off on Cara or the new guy :smug:

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
I can't believe Paradox is actually doing the same thing they had done with Tyranny. They used a mediocre studio for the technical and development aspects so the vision for the game didn't fit the budget, then the resources and manpower available wasn't enough to deliver it in time as a finished product, now they sacked the lead designers to hire a closer guy who will spend next few months cutting the game to size to release it for Q1 2021.

In case of Tyranny, project was being developed by Obsidian's B team and was looted to deliver Deadfire, I don't even know what's going on with Hardlab studios that necessitated this. Tyranny was a game with great potential and great act 1 and early act 2 but the whole game feels like it ends mid act 2 rather than a finished product, BL2 best case scenario will probably be the same but likely because as a game it requires a more coherent narrative to be like VTMB it will just feel disjointed and unfinished garbage. I guess it might be worth playing in 10 years after unofficial patches to restore content and developer mod by Mitsoda and a small team.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom