Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Video Game Corporate War: Epic Games vs Apple and Google

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The saddest part is that you literally have to have made *Fortnite money* in order to challenge the monopoly of these dystopian corporate titans in what should be a very open and shut antitrust case.

abija

Prophet
The entire idea behind this is ridiculous to begin with. Why should Apple get a 30% cut from something you sold inside your app to a customer?
Imagine if you bought a game on Steam and Microsoft butted in and said "Hey bud, give me my cut now." Ah, what's that, bought something on Amazon? Better give Microsoft their cut.
Then they should ask for an option to pay Apple a fee based on number of installs of their software. Apple getting a 30% cut from their in app sales is as fair as them giving the product for free and selling inside it.

Codex Year of the Donut
The entire idea behind this is ridiculous to begin with. Why should Apple get a 30% cut from something you sold inside your app to a customer?
Imagine if you bought a game on Steam and Microsoft butted in and said "Hey bud, give me my cut now." Ah, what's that, bought something on Amazon? Better give Microsoft their cut.
Then they should ask for an option to pay Apple a fee based on number of installs of their software. Apple getting a 30% cut from their in app sales is as fair as them giving the product for free and selling inside it.
Why is it fair? Why does Apple deserve anything?
Should Ford get a 30% cut on the money I spend on putting gas in my truck?

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Damn they really missed by not hiring you for their lawyer. "But your Honor, it's not fair! "

To be honest their real case is not that much different.

abija

Prophet

Did you check the repair part prices at official dealerships? They extra charge on whatever they can claim ownership of.

And seriously, are we really talking about fairness in pricing when they make most of their money through licensing engines and selling virtual goods? Maybe we should calculate the markup on their products and decide if 1000000000% is fair.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Last edited:

V_K

Arcane
Does Ford own and manage the petrol station where you buy your gas?
Does Apple own and manage fortnite?
Not, but it does own and manage the Apple Store.
This argument is going in the wrong direction. Fords run on the same kind of gas as any other car. Now, imagine they required a special kind of fuel, whose formula Ford patented. Under current laws, it would be quite logical that if a third party wants to produce Ford's fuel than it should pay Ford a license fee for its patent - and Ford would have every right to revoke it if they breech the contract.
It's more or less the way it works with GMO produce, for example.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
I just don't understand why Apple should be forced to allow on its store a piece of software of a company that doesn't want to comply with its terms of service.

Are those terms of service bullshit? Probably, but good luck trying to do anything about it.

Is it dumb that you can install software only through the Apple Store? Sure, but that's a problem between Apple and its consumers. If Apple's users are fine with anti-consumer practices, I don't see what Epic can do about it. It's not like there are no alternatives to Apple's products on the market: if you buy an iPhone, you buy into Apple's philosophy.

Viata

Arcane
Apple's users are retarded. They were able to accept that not having headphones on phone was not only great, but having to buy airpods was even better. I still wait for the day Apple start selling iPhone without battery charger, force them to buy one and still have users praising their idea.

Pegultagol

Erudite
Apple's users are retarded. They were able to accept that not having headphones on phone was not only great, but having to buy airpods was even better. I still wait for the day Apple start selling iPhone without battery charger, force them to buy one and still have users praising their idea.

They might really do that now as some tech outlets report that IPhone 12 will not come with the charger, hailed by the Apple users as being forward thinking and environmentally friendly.

Codex Year of the Donut
I just don't understand why Apple should be forced to allow on its store a piece of software of a company that doesn't want to comply with its terms of service.
Because the most rich and powerful globohomo corporations should be held responsible when they abuse their dominant position to push anti-consumer practices.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Because the most rich and powerful globohomo corporations should be held responsible when they abuse their dominant position to push anti-consumer practices.
Okay, I fully agree with you on this.

I didn't know you where a fellow comrade, rusty. I will vote for you in the next Favorite Codex Communist poll. :salute:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Communist rusty confirmed. I knew all that Trump-shit he posted on the poliboard was just trolling for trolling sake.

Codex Year of the Donut
Okay, Bernie Sanders.

I didn't know you where a fellow comrade, rusty. I will vote for you in the next Favorite Codex Communist pool. :salute:
Trust busting is as American as baseball and apple pie.
If you enjoy bootlicking, be my guest.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane

Standard Oil was allowed to get away with taking the piss as well... Until it wasn't.

Apple have had over 10 years now of reaping the benefits of their position, so much so that their market cap just hit 2 trillion ZOGbucks. They'll be fine for the next 1000 years.

What's the time limit on drug patents and generics again?

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
kwa cellular/internet bills are what happens when you dont apply anti monopoly/competition laws. Its not about communism. You guyz know... its almost if it would be good to have balance :balance: between capitalism and communism
My face when I was supposed to lead humanity to a brighter future, but I wasted my life designing videogames:

josh-sawyer-pillars-of-eternity-r225x.jpg

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Windows isn't a closed system though, nor is it tied to specific hardware. Game consoles would be a much closer analogy here - and something tells me, MS controls the X-box market just as much as Apple.

UWP, you forgetting Gabe Newell shitting his parachute sized underpants and the whole linux thing? It's not over, don't mistake microsofts ineptitude for them giving up.

Okay, Bernie Sanders.

I didn't know you where a fellow comrade, rusty. I will vote for you in the next Favorite Codex Communist pool. :salute:
Trust busting is as American as baseball and apple pie.
If you enjoy bootlicking, be my guest.

If anyone is Homo Sovieticus it's these cocksuckers.

abija

Prophet
I've seen this defended: https://imgur.com/pUJhCB7 . Yeah it's exactly how it looks, can't use the mouse while charging.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
kwa cellular/internet bills are what happens when you dont apply anti monopoly/competition laws. Its not about communism. You guyz know... its almost if it would be good to have balance :balance: between capitalism and communism
I like it how for Amis any kind of governmental control over market or social support is "MUH KOMMUNISM!11 RED MENACE!". Like, German worker of early XX century had more social support and protection than average Ami worker today, with Kaiserreich being a fucking monarchy.

And if we look at consolidation of American economy - with players getting bigger and bigger, almost rivaling the power of the state (in case of Microsoft quite successfully for they were able to f-off even the mighty IRA), the border between USSR-style "government owns everything" and USA-style "Few corporations own everything" gets less and less pronounced.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom