Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Low level D&D games are either auto attacks against low level kobolds like BG1 or massacre like putting a CR 20 Balor against a lv 10 party, in the plane of fire, like ToEE did. Took me almost two hours to beat on my first try and if wasen't by meta knowledge, the skull and summons, i would't have won. BG3 seems that will be low level but with high CR monsters nerfed to accommodate low level parties. Which combines the worst of both approaches... And my guess is that Larian will put tons of gimmicky fights on it.

Throwing intellect devourers against two lv 1 guys poorly equipped is so ridiculous...

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
We've already been through this. An intellect devourer is a CR 2, it's a tough fight, but totally doable.

CR made against 4 and his CR is 7.

VdrVaXT.png

https://www.5esrd.com/gamemastering...s-by-type/aberrations/intellect-devourer-3pp/

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
CR made against 4 and his CR is 7.
I don't think you know how challenge ratings work in D&D 5. A CR 2 is a (very) deadly encounter for a group of 2 level 1 characters, but they can still overcome it with a bit of luck or with very favorable conditions. This is the description of a "deadly" encounter:

A deadly encounter could be lethal for one or more player characters. Survival often requires good tactics and quick thinking, and the party risks defeat.

With "easy", "medium" and "hard" encounters, characters are supposed to overcome the challenge without risking death:

Easy. An easy encounter doesn't tax the characters' resources or put them in serious peril. They might lose a few hit points, but victory is pretty much guaranteed.

Medium. A medium encounter usually has one or two scary moments for the players, but the characters should emerge victorious with no casualties. One or more of them might need to use healing resources.

Hard. A hard encounter could go badly for the adventurers. Weaker characters might get taken out of the fight, and there's a slim chance that one or more characters might die.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
There is also the whole thing of the DM adapting the monsters to fit the players. There's a manticore fight in one of the first quests (you can actually do it as the very first quest) in Dragon of Icespire Peak, and if the players somehow fuck up a diplomatic approach to the encounter the DM must weaken the manticore in some way unless they are hardcore-ing it up and aren't opposed to rolling new characters. My group had to fight it as a first quest and I removed its multi-attack and said it looked crippled. I think the bigger problem is the focus on epicness rather than nerfing of monsters, the nerfing is a symptom.

Low level D&D games are either auto attacks against low level kobolds like BG1 or massacre like putting a CR 20 Balor against a lv 10 party, in the plane of fire, like ToEE did. Took me almost two hours to beat on my first try and if wasen't by meta knowledge, the skull and summons, i would't have won.

OT: Solid Fog + Magic Missile + Wands allowed me to pull it off the first time, just barely. The Balor is so large that its melee attacks are always affected by concealment. The reduction in movement also allows you to kite him, while your spell casters go to work. If he dominates for scares any of your party, the fog will protect you from them, as they won't move quickly, won't detect your other members easily, and have their attacks impeded. The second time I knew about it and had discovered the power of crafting in ToEE, so it was hard, but not insane.

Shrimp

Arbiter
I think the bigger problem is the focus on epicness rather than nerfing of monsters, the nerfing is a symptom.
I feel like this is something that very frequently makes it way into video games. Everything has to be grand and epic right from the start. Nothing is allowed to be plain and mundane any more.
I have no idea when and how this trend started but my uneducated guess would be that a major culprit is modern movie franchises always having to out-do their previous instalments just so they can be labelled as "X but better" which creates a sort of grandeur powercreep where everything has to capture your attention as fast as possible. Fighting epic fantasy creatures makes for a more memorable and interesting experience than the same pack of wolves or goblins that you've already massacred somewhere down the road.
I know there's been made plenty of studies about how modern technology has lowered our attention span, but I don't know if it'd be on the verge of tinfoil hat territory to expect there to be some sort of connection between this and the general preference for more 'epic' content in RPGs (or any other entertainment medium for that matter)

Elex

Arbiter
WFTfQrH.jpg

Yhw7E7y.jpg

JTN3dFL.jpg

huMNkze.jpg

TL ; DR

demons and devil appear in BG3 and their alignment (of course) matter.
also Souls coins will be in BG 3.
not only the start of BG3 is going to be in hell.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
I have to ask - what the fuck did you expect? The story of Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 is thoroughly done and tied up. Since then three editions of D&D came out and the setting had massive changes.

It's called "Baldur's Gate 3" because "Baldur's Gate" is a known brand and, presumably, some game time will be spent in Baldur's Gate. Expecting it to be a narrative sequel to Baldur's Gate 2 is retarded, and I don't know why you'd want it to be that way.
i don't want that. I literally want no one to ever make a baldur's gate 3 ever. I expected people to stay in their lane and not touch the series ever again. Mods included. Those people are a bunch of degenerates.

Vatnik Wumao

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Really, you like the character who joins the party as two enemy npcs read lines about how cool, edgy, handsome and powerful he is?
First of all, yes. Second of all, they call him a dumb, ugly animal, soooo. Third of all, I like how you don't play psychiatrist with him and he can change in BG2.

Our Bulgarian pederast got all wet at the description. :M
Pederast means something different in English.

Vatnik Wumao

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom