Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jagged Alliance The RPG genre is weak. Very weak. Probably the weakest traditional genre in gaming

Farewell into the night

I'm actually perfectly visible

Yes, please pardon me, I didn't know how to tag Lilura properly, so I just improvised with the quotes.

Curratum

Lilura, what would be the top 10 all-time GAMES list? I need to make sure I finish all of those games.

That's relatively easy, as most of the games are old! In no order of magnitude:

- Riven: The Sequel to Myst
- Quake 1
- Thief 1
- Stalker SoC
- Spacechem
- Baldur's Gate 2
- Witcher 3
- Dark Souls 2
- Amnesia TDD
- Dirt Rally 2

If you count user generated contend, replace Quake 1 with Doom 2 and Thief 1 with Thief 2. I really wanted to squeeze a VS fighting game in there, but couldn't.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In

Lilura, what would be the top 10 all-time GAMES list? I need to make sure I finish all of those games.

That's relatively easy, as most of the games are old! In no order of magnitude:

- Riven: The Sequel to Myst
- Quake 1
- Thief 1
- Stalker SoC
- Spacechem
- Baldur's Gate 2
- Witcher 3
- Dark Souls 2
- Amnesia TDD
- Dirt Rally 2

If you count user generated contend, replace Quake 1 with Doom 2 and Thief 1 with Thief 2. I really wanted to squeeze a VS fighting game in there, but couldn't.

Why put Dark Souls 2 over all the others?

mondblut

Arcane
If you're still on assumtion that strategy games should always be played with an AI by the same rules, let me remind you that it's not always the case.

HoMM is a strategy game about raising armies in your production centers and conquering enemy production centers.

Aren't you conquering enemy production centers in JA2 as well?

No need to walk in circles around semantics. This is what I've been answering to: "No, you really aren't".

Ihavenoidea

Educated
Heroes 3 and maybe THPS 2/Worms Armageddon deserve the top ten in my opinion, other than that - I have no idea.
I don't do console gaming, so that limits my scope further. Should Earthbound get in? Should Pokemon?
Should the game be rated compared to the time it was sold, or to present day? Based on popularity - so should Starcraft be there? Should MOBAs?
I mean I love Fallout, but most of the people would not put it in the top ten so I can see that it most likely woudn't make the list, since there is a threshold to enter.
The thread started with:
"Take the top-ranked Codex RPG, Planescape: Torment. Now, put it in a top 10 with DOOM. Everyone'd be like, "What? Get that OUT". Because it's mostly just words."
And based on that - it seems like games that are quick to throw you into action will fit the definition.
But compare Most Wanted to Porsche 2000 - which one would be on the list? Which one would deserve it?

Ihavenoidea

Educated
How many games have you played actually? I mean you're the kind of person that would have much more fun with excel spreadsheet, so I assume like 40 or so. Not to mention your top ten still haven't been posted, and if Doom beats Torment then Pokemon games beat Jagged Alliance 2 easily. That's just a fact.

Not to mention for example I have no mouth and I must scream, which is just wordswordswords for an excel lover like you and a great adventure game for people into the genre. Your problem is no clear criteria on what defines the list, which means you autistically wiggle screeching about the quality of ten games you played for 20 years.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
But JA2 rules aren't limited to combat. There are rules for picking and breaking open locks, for disarming traps, for carrying weight, for exhaustion - everything that AD&D does. Yes, there are no stats affecting conversations (or are there? I vaguely remember that the outcome of some dialogues may depend on how intimidating a party member is)

Yes, there are. Lots of them. Stracc displays the stats in the dialogue window.

mondblut

Arcane
But JA2 rules aren't limited to combat. There are rules for picking and breaking open locks, for disarming traps, for carrying weight, for exhaustion - everything that AD&D does. Yes, there are no stats affecting conversations (or are there? I vaguely remember that the outcome of some dialogues may depend on how intimidating a party member is)

Yes, there are. Lots of them. Stracc displays the stats in the dialogue window.

What I mean is that there are no dedicated talkie skills the storyfag RPGs of the last two decades are so fond of. That aside, depending on the context even explosives skill can be checked in a specific dialogue.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
That's just indicative of good game design in general. It's as relevant to RPGs as it to any other genre of games. And FTL isn't an RPG, obviously.

You got owned, son. Owned. Fact of the matter is even FTL -- even FTL -- does RPG better than RPGs you have fanboyed over and jacked yourself off to for the past 20 years.

As a rule of thumb, RPG devs don't know a damn thing about how to make RPGs. Also, they can't code combat systems, pathfinding routines or UIs.

It takes genre-transcending masterpieces like Jagged Alliance 2 to show these dummies how it's done.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Side question: what are all the RPGs besides JA2 and Battle Bros where you hire mercenaries but you have to pay them continuously? I don't even know if that's a hard and fast rule in those games, but that's why I haven't played them yet.

Lords of Magic (which is as much a cRPG than the ones you mentioned)
I'm not sure you have to pay wages in Fantasy General.
Same for Warbanners.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
What? There's no upkeep in HoMM, you don't have to pay anyone continuously.
Nah, don't take my HoMM spam seriously. I just try to counter "Realms of Arkania HD" and "Gorasul" spam with some based Russian-beloved variant.

Though you do recruit heroes and spend money keeping them stuffed on finest magic, amulets and units continuously, so it kinda counts? And if hero retreats, he could be hired by other player with all the goodies...

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Might and Magic 6-7 obviously. NPC helpers take a cut of all found treasure.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom