Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

George Ziets opening a new RPG studio - Digimancy Entertainment

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
So the team is completely remote huh

Would be interesting to see how that would turn out, project-wise. Video game development have been infamous to be less than reliable management wise (missed deadline, crunch/excessive overtime, still shipping with questionable quality and bugs even after all of those).

Remote working is certainly not going to help with that I think? Especially when you are going full production after getting the funding.

George Ziets's Dead State. And like Dead State, it's a game that isn't delivering what the writer's fanbase expects from him. :M

Harthwain

Magister
Finding out it was a strategy-RPG already made me lose interest, real-time just punctuates it.
"Strategy-RPG"? Where the intel on the strategy part comes from? It only says "hybrid" and "real-time combat", which could mean an action-RPG.

could be really slow real-time ya never know
Real-time with pause isn't off the table either yet.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I mean, games like cultist simulator are real time too. There are a lot of ways to implement a real time system.

Harthwain

Magister

G Ziets

Digimancy Entertainment
Developer
I think he's making what he envisioned for BG3 (I think he mentioned something similar in one of his MattChats). Wish him the best in chasing his dream, but not all that interested personally.

I'm not allowed to say much about the new project yet, and we're only a couple weeks into our first phase of work. (It's been a lot of fun to build a team from scratch and get back to making games with some old friends.) However, I *can* say that we're not making anything WotC- or D&D-related, and the game has no connection to my BG3 pitch from a while back.

I think he's making what he envisioned for BG3 (I think he mentioned something similar in one of his MattChats). Wish him the best in chasing his dream, but not all that interested personally.

I'm not allowed to say much about the new project yet, and we're only a couple weeks into our first phase of work. (It's been a lot of fun to build a team from scratch and get back to making games with some old friends.) However, I *can* say that we're not making anything WotC- or D&D-related, and the game has no connection to my BG3 pitch from a while back.

Excited to see whatever you put out. Any chance it has any connection to the King of Dragon Pass clone in the Fallout setting you spitballed about a few years ago?

Codex Year of the Donut
On LOTRO, I designed some quests and zones, including the human / hobbit newbie area, wrote a lot of dialogue, and developed the main story on Shadows of Angmar (though I left to take a job at Obsidian before the game shipped, and I suspect the story evolved further after I left).
Recently played LOTRO and The Shire was perfect, exactly as imagined when reading about it.
If you were responsible for that then
rating_thanks.png

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Spellforce 3 is RPG RTS hybrid and is a great game.

Literally no reason whatsoever to ever play Spellforce. Back in the day it was an inferior third-rate franchise, much like the Divinity games or Risen. It was just something you pick up when there was an utter drought of RPGs (very rare) and play for one afternoon.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Spellforce 3 is RPG RTS hybrid and is a great game.

Literally no reason whatsoever to ever play Spellforce. Back in the day it was an inferior third-rate franchise, much like the Divinity games or Risen. It was just something you pick up when there was an utter drought of RPGs (very rare) and play for one afternoon.

Shrug. It is a better game in my opinion than Divinity OS event hough Divinity OS is a muh turn based RPG.

I won't be debating here as I've done it in other threads but TB doesn't make a game good. Overall game design is.

deuxhero

Arcane

Would be interesting to see how that would turn out, project-wise. Video game development have been infamous to be less than reliable management wise (missed deadline, crunch/excessive overtime, still shipping with questionable quality and bugs even after all of those).

Remote working is certainly not going to help with that I think? Especially when you are going full production after getting the funding.

As I mentioned earlier, a lot of software industry is looking into remote working with wuhan flu shutdowns. Whoever is publishing it likely doesn't have a choice: It's either remote work or no new games.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

As I mentioned earlier, a lot of software industry is looking into remote working with wuhan flu shutdowns. Whoever is publishing it likely doesn't have a choice: It's either remote work or no new games.

I mean yeah with Covid we really don't have much of a choice and software devs is probably the one sector that is mostly digital anyway.

I am really asking the question in long term sense because from the description it would seem that Digimancy is a remote-only studio regardless of the existence of Covid. Like, next year after Covid relatively died down due to vaccine or whatever (and a lot of countries are already opening up even today), would having remote-only studio works? Considering that even with strict "normal" game development condition game developments isn't really know for being spotless, project-wise.

ksaun

Arcane
Developer

I mean yeah with Covid we really don't have much of a choice and software devs is probably the one sector that is mostly digital anyway.

I am really asking the question in long term sense because from the description it would seem that Digimancy is a remote-only studio regardless of the existence of Covid. Like, next year after Covid relatively died down due to vaccine or whatever (and a lot of countries are already opening up even today), would having remote-only studio works? Considering that even with strict "normal" game development condition game developments isn't really know for being spotless, project-wise.

Digimancy Entertainment's decision to be a completely remote development studio predates the known existence of covid-19. (And we deny the salacious rumors that Digimancy genetically engineered the virus to increase our ability to win a development deal. (I knew that organic chemistry class I took, the one that included a SATURDAY lecture, would prove useful someday!))

To get ahead of any false expectations, though I see others have already helped us with this (thanks, guys!): Digimancy's first game will certainly be considered an abject failure by the hive mind that is RPG Codex. No one who would post here, present company included, is sufficiently sophisticated to appreciate the fine craftsmanship of such talented developers. But we look forward to reading the debates over which way we most failed true RPG fans.

Ninjerk

Arcane

Digimancy Entertainment's decision to be a completely remote development studio predates the known existence of covid-19. (And we deny the salacious rumors that Digimancy genetically engineered the virus to increase our ability to win a development deal. (I knew that organic chemistry class I took, the one that included a SATURDAY lecture, would prove useful someday!))

To get ahead of any false expectations, though I see others have already helped us with this (thanks, guys!): Digimancy's first game will certainly be considered an abject failure by the hive mind that is RPG Codex. No one who would post here, present company included, is sufficiently sophisticated to appreciate the fine craftsmanship of such talented developers. But we look forward to reading the debates over which way we most failed true RPG fans.
We're sharpening our knives as we speak.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong

That cracked me up! And, it's great to hear you've joined Digimancy.

guestposting

Educated
Fuck, Saunders has the heart of a shitposter. I imagine Olga Moskvina does, too, since she worked on Disco.

Didn’t Paradox’s former CEO say something about wanting to make strategy-RPG hybrids a couple years ago? Seems like something that would be in their wheelhouse.

Bulo

Scholar
Invest more points into the Leadership tree to command a greater number of troops across the battlefield and unlock additional useful formations

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom