Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So they took sweet, sweet Chinese Epic money to run an extended beta test?

Togukawa

Savant
Patron
So they took sweet, sweet Chinese Epic money to run an extended beta test?
Not even that. Beta tests are for feature complete software. It wasn't even remotely feature complete at release, and they are still adding essential things like the promised evolution system now.

This was Epic money for early access / alpha test. So far the game doesn't immerse me at all, and I have very little hope of that changing for the steam release.
Hopefully the true release will still be a game worth playing, but I expect it will forever remain a massive missed opportunity.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I think the next patch will be very good version of the game and unless they also introduce some nasty bugs with it, it will be a good time for people that have waited to finally jump in.

Especially those that like to play on hardest challenge might find the game worth playing.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Didn't read the thread, is this complete shit or mildly entertaining? How does it compare to nuXC?
Much better. Gollop was mostly inspired by Xcom Apocalypse. It was released very buggy and unfinished but they have been slowly improving it over the months. The next patch might bring it to a very nice state (one that comes this month with DLC2) where it is fun and balanced at same time. For now it lacks balance (in way that it is too easy atm).

Archangel at current state is this game really better than enemy within long rebalanced?
Depends on how much you hate mechanics of new Xcoms. LW and LW Rebalanced just gives you more of that. It does not fix any of the basic problems but only expands on what is already there.
But current state of PP is not awesome (although miles better than at release), but upcoming patch and DLC2 should be cool and finally challenging.

lightbane

Arcane
Where's UnstableVoltage? Did he get fed up with pointlessly shilling for the game?

d699540685a003e868efd85f014f2633.png

And with that the last breath of horror was snuffed away. Those designs won't look out of place alongside some of Skyrim's dwemer ruins. Double down on the NuXCom vibes and call the next DLC3 Phoenix Point: Manticore Team.

ArchAngel

Arcane
d699540685a003e868efd85f014f2633.png

And with that the last breath of horror was snuffed away. Those designs won't look out of place alongside some of Skyrim's dwemer ruins. Double down on the NuXCom vibes and call the next DLC3 Phoenix Point: Manticore Team.
They cannot please everyone. There is nothing wrong with these enemies.

ArchAngel

Arcane
So this is the last DLC? Along with the next patch it should be the complete experience, right?
No. There is still DLC3 coming and more patches for the Steam release. But they also plan DLC 4 and 5 for next year. But current version of the game is pretty good (DLC2 + 1.7 patch one), if they released with this instead of what they did the game would have gotten much more favorable reviews.
You can play it now and then play it again once Steam release is finished. Steam release will feel more like an expansion to what is being released on 26th in my opinion.
ArchAngel do the maps have some variety now? i remember it was really repetitive a while ago
There is more variety to maps now, and DLC2 maps are all completely new and very beautiful. Hopefully whoever did DLC2 maps also gets to make some of the older maps prettier.
Are they still going with "single difficulty-level; doesn't fit anyone" -approach?
What are you talking about? There are 4 difficulties in the game and each plays differently. Especially with upcoming patch 1.7 where we got them to make even bigger difference between chosen difficulties.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
What are you talking about? There are 4 difficulties in the game and each plays differently. Especially with upcoming patch 1.7 where we got them to make even bigger difference between chosen difficulties.
I think there was some talk before release, that there was only going to be only one difficulty level.
Glad that they dropped that idea.

TheSoul

Scholar
These new designs are mmo-tier. Weren't the enemies supposed to involve more body horror instead of knockoff star wars?
Back to JA2 then

ArchAngel

Arcane
These new designs are mmo-tier. Weren't the enemies supposed to involve more body horror instead of knockoff star wars?
Back to JA2 then
Lets just say these are not pandorans but ancient human machines that survived until today (I don't want to spoil too much).
But if you are looking for a game to replace JA2, there is no such game out and I doubt there will be in the future. You will have to decide yourself to play something different.

Last edited:

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I think the next patch will be very good version of the game and unless they also introduce some nasty bugs with it, it will be a good time for people that have waited to finally jump in.

Especially those that like to play on hardest challenge might find the game worth playing.
Thanks, might actually pirate this after all I guess, just to see how it is.

TheSoul

Scholar
But if you are looking for a game to replace JA2, there is no such game out and I doubt there will be in the future. You will have to decide yourself to play something different.
I've seen some of the tactical stuff on this forum and the only ones that interest me are Troubleshooter and Battle Brothers. Phoenix point seemed like the last chance to have that ja2/x-com energy with a decent budget. I'm probably just too stubborn since what I want out of this genre is different than what the people who buy them seem to want.
At least this didn't use a 2AP system, so I might check it out if I'm still stuck in quarantine hell.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom