Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Microsoft Flight Simulator

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
That is pretty lame. Especially the overstressing which is worrysome as this is a crucial part of IFR flying under worst conditions.

Although crashes are a sensitive topic they are part of flying and important for immershun. They could as well have removed collision detection from all skyscrapers and buildings with more than x people. Nobody would cause a stir if they see you deliberatily crashing into 2 family mansions.

All in all, since the launch we learnt this is a sim-lite and that fits the picture. It's possible that 3rd party planes bring the mid air overstress back and only have a crash screen when you impact something.

Burning Bridges

photogrammetry fail:

581FA2F2140A90C501CD90A3DD13EC217EBDF11F

Zanzoken

Arcane
So my mom's husband isn't a gamer, but he called me today and was asking about the new Flight Simulator. I told him his laptop -- which I think is just a basic Samsung notebook -- wouldn't run it and he would need to build a gaming PC, which I could help with but it would be smarter to wait until November because of new hardware + Black Friday deals. I also told him the game was having some issues -- it's currently sitting at "Mixed" on Steam right now, apparently because of bugs / crashes -- but by then it should be more stable.

Did I tell the truth? He's a former pilot who can't really fly anymore due to illness, and I know he misses it, so maybe this would help him scratch that itch a little bit.

Burning Bridges

Probably you did the right thing. Its also be better to wait for a few patches, the installation is very problematic.

You should build him a great gaming PC for at least 1500$ and a good internet connection plus rudder and stick, and enjoy it in its real glory instead of a miserable shitshow.

People with somewhat weaker i5s can barely run it, even an i7 and GTX 1070 is low end for this sim, so most likely his laptop and his willpower would take physical damage.

Burning Bridges

My first impression: you don't need a monster PC but you could run into troubles with bandwidth limitations (memory, ssd, internet). My fps in small GA aircraft are actually higher than X-plane while it looks 10 times better.

No worries about this.

It does however stop sometimes for 2-3 seconds (once every 5 minutes or so) maybe because of my internet connection and it's not that great when it happens. I hope that can be removed by patches because it is a bit of a setback. Hopefully rolling cache could be a remedy because I have no problem giving 4 Terabyte rolling cache - I will get that much space if I delete X-Plane and all my Ortho bullshit.

It also looks fantastic but the accuracy is not that great. I flew over my home area and have problems seeing where I am, there are no power lines and even major roads are almost invisible.

There are countless buildings that have no resemblence to reality and don't belong into the type of villages. I live in a flat prussian country-house but it looks like a patricians home in Hamburg. In fact the entire town looks like that.

It's still fantastic though. The whole world looks realistic bit it's also still a far cry from being a perfect representation of the real world.

Mortmal

Arcane
Icon A5 is great indeed, a toy for the wealthy, pick a small airport and fly to small islands , starting from St barthelemy a well known area from french codexers of course. If you fail at piloting you can just land it on the sea, its easier to pilot this than to start some cars.Most touristic area are very well done, but if you stray away from that, the bugs, the glitches...It will be a DLC fest more than likely.

Burning Bridges

The strengths are the terrain, light and weather effects. The included airplanes are shyte. Good engine sound though.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
So i removed from inventory just to test this shit.

30 to 50 fps on high with a 5700 XT lmao, occasionally dropping to 20 fps or lower.

Burning Bridges

Impression from one more day of playing: The included aircraft are really extremely simple and unfinished. Iin the King Air 350 almost everything that's not required for flying says "inoperable".

Very positive: now that I fine tuned the settings I am getting even better fps. over Paris I get 40-50 fps on a i7 4790K and GTX 1070, that's quite phenomal considering how much is rendered.
Over rural areas I get close to 60 fps. MSFS makes excellent use of the available cores. RAM usage is also uncritical, my sim barely exceeds 6 GB of RAM.

A lot of people don't realize that settings can also be moved to the left and not everything has to be set to "ULTRA". with MEDIUM and HIGH it still looks extremely good and runs smooth as silk.

Another negative is the perspective. Some of the cameras either don't work or are glitched. You also cannot move the camera backward but zooming out distorts FOV, so you either have tunnel vision or look into a fish eye. This is especially apparent when you are close to mountains. The Teide in Tenerife is unnoticable, whereas in real life it's a breathtaking mountain that rises 4km in front of you.

Such stuff is irritating, but I'm still quite exstatic about the technological progress. Right now it falls short as a simulation, but as a game it's fucking amazing. If they added an economic mode like ETS2 I would probably be completely addicted.

The streaming is also uncritical, with 16Mbs I have no problem at all. The quality of the textures however is a joke to what was promised (ZL19 - reality is more like compressed ZL16 with dithering). There are also rapid color changes where aerial images meet. But it still looks extremely good compared to other sims because of the worldwide coverage and (relative) uniformity. That is to say Xplane with orthos can look better, but considering the average it looks shit compared to MSFS, horrible shit.

Look this is AI generated world is simply a game changer. I can fly over Paris, then over Dakar and then Patagonia and everywhere realistic scenery is provided by Microsoft. It's a dream come true for many people.

I have also talked to a few friends who are playing X-Plane again and say they want to wait another 6 months until good 3rd party planes are out. One who is particularly serious simmer called the physics "inacceptable".

I am popamole compared to those guys and satisfied.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I was watching a short stream about this game, and I noticed that when you crash the plane you can't see it blowing up or falling apart, you just get a black screen with a box that says "you caused critical damage to your plane". Even if you overstress the plane, you get this. This is so lame in my opinion, I want to watch the great ball of fire.

In Balance of Power [1985 strategy game], a [nuclear] war ends the game instantly, with the following message: "You have ignited a(n accidental) nuclear war. And no, there is no animated display of a mushroom cloud with parts of bodies flying through the air. We do not reward failure."

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I was watching a short stream about this game, and I noticed that when you crash the plane you can't see it blowing up or falling apart, you just get a black screen with a box that says "you caused critical damage to your plane". Even if you overstress the plane, you get this. This is so lame in my opinion, I want to watch the great ball of fire.

In Balance of Power [1985 strategy game], a [nuclear] war ends the game instantly, with the following message: "You have ignited a(n accidental) nuclear war. And no, there is no animated display of a mushroom cloud with parts of bodies flying through the air. We do not reward failure."
The game had no animations whatsoever. :D

Burning Bridges

Afterall it's a flight simulator, not a plane crash simulator.

It would be cool to have fully immersive crashes, especially with animated and screaming passengers. It would also be nice to have an avatar and be able to walk into the toilet and secretly smoke or masturbate. Or a survival game to play the crash in the Andes. But it also gets downright silly if people make a fuzz as if this was the sole point of the game.

Burning Bridges

Another fun fact.

At first people were really concerned that FSE would not support MSFS20, but it does. People were full of joy.

Now it turns out it has become completely unusable because of the rush of new players. It's insanity. The FSE site has become so slow and unreliable that I cannot load pages 75% of times. I did not do any flying but the last days it was so slow I was even hardly able to sell a few planes for several million, although I had persons willing to buy it.

Using the site to browse for jobs the way we used to do is competely impossible, unless you snatch a small time window when it's night time in the states.

Burning Bridges

IoYFaVp.png

Iquitos (SPQT)

i7 4790K @ 4.4 Ghz
16GB DDR3 1833 Mhz CL 8-8-9-24 1T
KFA GTX 1070 8GB (factory overclock)
16Mbit/s internet

resolution 1680*1024 (this is probably the key because many people run 4K and no older card is able to handle this)

I enabled the HIGH preset, set texture resolution to medium, TAA, render scaling 120 and shadows minimal. Also disabled Texture Supersampling (looks better without it) and reduced to 4XAF.

It's smooth like a frog vagina over 99% of the world (countryside) and a tad jerky (40 fps) over big cities like Paris or Berlin. Did not test New York but it seems New York is shit on every computer.

Like all flight sims there is some aliasing on straight lines but it is much better than the competition. Under ideal conditions the lighting and reflection (wet surfaces etc) looks like it runs on a new generation of computers to Xplane and such sims.

The cockpits are slightly shittier than X-Plane (its hard to read instruments and small numbers), but also brighter.

Mortmal

Arcane
You should test cairo instead, thats the only place i got a fps drop , ryzen 3600 16 giga and radeon 5700XT. Playing on ultra everything maxed . Everywhere else its 60fps+ . It's breathtaking , flying over it makes your realize how really large it is and shocking to see how close they built next to the pyramids too, a must to fly by . Thats a phenomenal game, the one you will show to relatives at home . Cant wait to see how it will goes on my new reverb G2 in october and the full VR support .

Burning Bridges

I have the impression that fps tank wherever they created VFR landmarks (pyramids was one of their showcase POIs). This is not surprising.

It also goes down on the hand edited airports, although to a lesser degree and over capital cities (hundred thousands of houses)

My prelimiary conclusion is to skip the premium version (the aircraft are garbage anyway) and wait with addons until I have a new PC. Which fortunately has time because it runs fine right now. This sim will take some years to fully show its potential, hopefully Asobo will get that much time (which will depend on the sales of course)

The steam ratings have moved to positive btw, which is much faster than RDR2 recovered. And they have not even released a single patch.

Burning Bridges

In case you have not noticed this already, Microsoft has created the best star field in any game right now.

They are using actual point lights for every star and not just a dumb skybox. Since I programmed starfields myself I assume they are all correct stars from a database (it's not that hard actually as the angles and magnitudes can be read from a simple table) and you could probably navigate by the stars. Space sims should take notice which all still use these ridiculous skybox textures, sometimes even with a noticable seam at 360'

I try to show a screenshot from the game but stars don't look the same on compressed images, better fly in a clear night over Africa and see for yourself - it looks fucking amazing.

(in game the stars are crisp as fuck)

uuSgzOj.png

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom