Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild for Wii U and Switch

You are wrong. BotW is a great game on its own. Can it be a foundation of even better games in the future? Sure, but it's already great, you edgelord.

Lilliput McHammersmith

but either one of them said that Zelda came about from wanting to emulate the sense of wonder when they explored caves in their youth.

Not just caves but the outdoors in general.
The Overworld was the most interested thing to explore and interact with in the 1st game not the Dungeons - they only became the center focus with LttP (and all subsequent titles). Even the items that were gained in the dungeons had at least an equal amount of utility in the Overworld as they had in Dungeons (contrary to the LttP formula were items are mostly for Dungeon use).
With BotW the Overworld is once again the central aspect that connects to all others and all other aspect feed to.

d2q4jmm-7b3ab8c0-668c-44e7-a1f1-e93f6e9490b0.jpg

best-zelda-games-9.jpg

I think ALttP and the original LoZ have way more in common than the original and BOTW.

My argument above already disproves this, but then you also had the fact that BotW is the only Zelda title, aside from the original, that is non-linear in how you can progress through the campgain and it's challeges (in this regard it even surpasses the original).

Be fucking honest.
The formula reached it's potential a long fucking time ago.
The last 15 years before this game is the proof that they were unable to do anything good or least anything with the potential to be good.
If BotW followed yet again the LttP script nobody here would've played the fucking thing and we would be bitching how the formula should dead and buried.
Even to Nintendo this couldn't be "yet another 3D Zelda main line title" because the series is not their main money printing franchise like Mario, it's their most acclaimed franchise.
The one that should be "The Next Big Thing" on market everytime a main title is dropped, and they've been unable to achieve that ever since Wind Waker.

Like I've stated in previous pages, the problem ultimately is the fact that BotW lives and dies by "the journey is what counts not the destination" motto.
So while the beggining and middle of every adventure is memorable and full of promise, the end most of the times just falls flat.
They need to remove filler, improve and expand the core aspects and possibly makes some sort of synthesis with the old way.
But as the foundation for a new style of games, BotW is brimming with potential.
And that is something the series has been lacking for way too long.
I think it’s been a long time since you have played LttP or Link’s Awakening. They both have an excellent overworld, which is enriched with excellent dungeons. I especially love Link’s Awakening’s overworld, and I think that it, not BOTW, is actually the perfection of the first Zelda. There is some level of linearity and non-linearity to Zelda 1, LttP, and LA.
Once again, Zelda 1 has well-crafted dungeons, while BOTW’s are fairly meh. The interactions with the world are cool, but I think they give you the Bombs too easily and too early.

I don’t hate BOTW at all. I think it is much more like OOT than Zelda 1, though. 2D Zelda is one of my favorite styles of game, and I disagree with the notion that BOTW is the “true” spiritual successor.

I find it laughable that you think that LttP’s overworld is weak, and not the focus. It is expertly crafted, and I find it more fun than Zelda 1’s overworld. Zelda 1 was an incredible experiment, and LttP and Link’s Awakening perfected the fantastic ideas that were introduced in Zelda 1.

The fact that you think the items have only dungeon use in LttP supports my theory that you haven’t played it recently. There are many secrets in the overworld that are only accessible through the hookshot.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I think it’s been a long time since you have played LttP

2015/2016 I think

Once again, Zelda 1 has well-crafted dungeons, while BOTW’s are fairly meh.

Once again the focus of BotW much like Zelda 1 is the Overworld not the Dungeons.
Also BotW has some great Dungeons of it's own.

I don’t hate BOTW at all. I think it is much more like OOT than Zelda 1, though.

You're kinda contradicting yourself.
You say that BotW is nothing like LttP but at the same time you say that BotW is much more like OoT - a game that is pretty much LttP in 3D.

2D Zelda is one of my favorite styles of game, and I disagree with the notion that BOTW is the “true” spiritual successor.

See your opinion in this matter is coming from your bias towards the LttP formula, when the evidence points otherwise:

Zelda 1 - Overworld focus; mostly non-linear campaign structure
LttP - Dungeon focus; linear campaign structure
BotW - Overworld focus; non-linear campaign structure

I find it laughable that you think that LttP’s overworld is weak

Never said that.
I said that the Dungeons are important to that game's experience and exploration.

and not the focus.

Because it clearly is not.

Last edited:

Machocruz

Arcane
One of the key distinctions of the original LoZ is it is a world of desolation. Relatively muted palette*. What few NPCs there are are hermit-like and cryptic, strange. The dungeons are gloomy battle gauntlets. Sounds very FromSoft-like, btw....

What we see over the course of the series is a livening of the world, Hyrule blooming. More vibrant, more populated, more friendly, cuter. The Hyrule in LttP is a drastically different world then what it was. A true successor to the original would maintain its tone, none of the following games did (until BotW? Haven't played it). AoL comes closest, it's dungeons are still strictly battlegrounds and not the puzzle palaces of later games. The palette is similar. But already we have the introduction of settled towns. Then we have pink haired Link, and cheery, goofy NPCs all over the place and we are off in another direction altogether, one that persisted over several hardware generations.

*I believe to be intentional even when taking hardware limitations into account. NES was capable of more florid colors than found in LoZ.

Lilliput McHammersmith

I think it’s been a long time since you have played LttP

2015/2016 I think

Once again, Zelda 1 has well-crafted dungeons, while BOTW’s are fairly meh.

Once again the focus of BotW much like Zelda 1 is the Overworld not the Dungeons.
Also BotW has some great Dungeons of it's own.

I don’t hate BOTW at all. I think it is much more like OOT than Zelda 1, though.

You're kinda contradicting yourself.
You say that BotW is nothing like LttP but at the same time you say that BotW is much more like OoT - a game that is pretty much LttP in 3D.

2D Zelda is one of my favorite styles of game, and I disagree with the notion that BOTW is the “true” spiritual successor.

See your opinion in this matter is coming from your bias towards the LttP formula, when the evidence points otherwise:

Zelda 1 - Overworld focus; mostly non-linear campaign structure
LttP - Dungeon focus; linear campaign structure
BotW - Overworld focus; non-linear campaign structure

I find it laughable that you think that LttP’s overworld is weak

Never said that.
I said that the Dungeons are important to that game's experience and exploration.

and not the focus.

Because it clearly is not.

I don’t agree with your point about LttP. It’s also somewhat nonlinear (not even LoZ 1 is totally nonlinear, contrary to what you’re saying, remember the ladder).

Let’s just talk pure gameplay: caves, sword that shoots a missile at full hearts, sword combat, dungeon puzzles. All of that both LoZ 1 and LttP share in common.

OOT plays pretty differently, as does BOTW. BOTW has fragile weapons (much like Skyward Sword), emergent gameplay, infinite bombs, weather mechanics, magnet puzzles, time stasis puzzles (like Skyward Sword), Z-Targeting, etc. Dungeon puzzles in the 3D Zeldas are pretty different from the 2D Zeldas.

Dungeons are important to both Zelda 1 and LttP. They’re really not as different as you’re making them out to be.

And even 3D Zeldas haven’t departed hugely from the first Zelda, which is overworld focus with excellent dungeons. Some of the later games became very linear (Skyward Sword). But I always played Zelda for the overworld, whether it was Zelda 1 or Wind Waker, that’s what I love about Zelda. I also think that LttP and LA have the best overworlds of the whole series.

The only thing that I see that BOTW “does the same” as Zelda 1, that differs from the other games, is the desolate world. But even there, LttP does the desolate world better with the Dark World. LttP’s beginning is much more cheery and bright than Zelda 1, for sure. But as soon as you get into the Dark World, it has much of the same tone and atmosphere of Zelda 1. BOTW has the desolation from the beginning, which is cool, but the colors are pretty vibrant, which isn’t the same as the muted palettes of Zelda 1 and LttP Dark World.

Raskens

Learned
Patron
I personally wouldn't say that LoZ is that more overworld focused than Alttp. Alltp has the dark world in addition to the standard one, and the you can use the mirror to transfer between both worlds at anytime, and by doing so solving puzzles in the overworld. I checked some maps and guides and it seems the amount of secrets are probably more in Alltp, but then Alttp has the dark and light world so secrets per square meter might be less.

I would say that LoZ focuses more on open ended exploration, while Alltp is more focused on puzzles.

Last edited:

cosmicray

Savant
f BotW followed yet again the LttP script nobody here would've played the fucking thing and we would be bitching how the formula should dead and buried.
Well, since BotW was my first Zelda, I actually wanted that "normal" Zelda everyone grew tired of.

Lilliput McHammersmith

f BotW followed yet again the LttP script nobody here would've played the fucking thing and we would be bitching how the formula should dead and buried.
Well, since BotW was my first Zelda, I actually wanted that "normal" Zelda everyone grew tired of.
It’s ok man. Not everyone is tired of Zelda. I personally love the series. I especially like the 2D ones because they play very well, and have a different gameplay than the 3D ones. Personal favorites are A Link to the Past and Link’s Awakening. The remake for Link’s Awakening is really good too.

Vyadhis

Learned
Link's Awakening and LTTP to the past are two of my favorites as well. I enjoyed what I played of the LA remake with the exception of the music, I wish they had included a mode to play the original gameboy tunes. Reminds me that I have to pay to get my switch fixed (sister bricked it) :negative:

cosmicray

Savant
It’s ok man. Not everyone is tired of Zelda. I personally love the series. I especially like the 2D ones because they play very well, and have a different gameplay than the 3D ones. Personal favorites are A Link to the Past and Link’s Awakening. The remake for Link’s Awakening is really good too.
Probably should try it out. My Switch's been gathering dust for a long time.

Machocruz

Arcane
The theme being so archetypal (boy goes on heroic adventure. It's also arguably the prototypical action-adventure game), the series can accommodate numerous visions and a person is bound to enjoy at least one of them, unless they are not into action gameplay at all. The original and TP are my favorites, and I've only not liked PH and ST. I don't like some of Nintendo's aesthetic and tonal choices, but objectively this is one of the best series out there afaic

Latelistener

Arcane
I've been playing this game for some time now.

While I'm not a fan of the open world, as it can be boring, repetitive and Ubisoft-like (towers are here too), I'm surprised how good this game at being an immersive sim, while not being advertised as one.

I'm a little sad too, because I don't think we will get anything even remotely close, considering that the genre is in decline.

You are wrong, btw, about it being Ubisoft-like. The problem with Ubisoft-like games is that they are entirely meaningless checklists of tasks to be done. BotW, on the other hand, has lots of meaningful encounters everywhere, hidden away in every part of the map.

Sentinel

Arcane
You are wrong, btw, about it being Ubisoft-like. The problem with Ubisoft-like games is that they are entirely meaningless checklists of tasks to be done. BotW, on the other hand, has lots of meaningful encounters everywhere, hidden away in every part of the map.
lol wut
the only difference between BotW and every Ubisoft-like open world is that BotW doesn't have markers telling you where all the collectibles are. All the filler content and worthless trash is still there.

Latelistener

Arcane
For example there are Korok seeds, but they can be obtained if you complete a certain puzzle. However, there are 900 seeds and only like 9 types of puzzles.

This just screams of Ubisoft game design. Make 5 types of quests, then multiple by 100 and paste it everywhere on the map.

Also, towers.

But the main thing that frustrates me is the fact that you need to collect those seeds to unlock inventory that in certain games is unlocked from the start.

Lilliput McHammersmith

Breath of the Wild has some things going for it. Meaningful encounters is not one of those things. Finding hidden secrets, however? Still not one of those things.

You are supposed to ignore that kind of thing. But what I mean is in Ubisoft games, everything is meaningless. Like for example, in Odyssey/Origins, you run across these forts/fortresses everywhere. So you fight 100 people there, just to get a checkmark on the map, or complete some soulless quest. Or side with Sparta/Athens in a battle to control some province, but without any actual point or effect. It's all just mindless checklists of shit to do.

In BotW, there are meaningful things to find and do everywhere. Different areas of the map have unique towns, novel NPCs and quests, cool equipment or story pieces to find, or activities to do.

I've been playing Zelda since the very first one, in 1988. Have played most games and like most of them to varying degrees. While I thought BotW was a cool game filled with detail, it never really hooked me and I gave it up after about 20 hours, thought it was too meandering. The open world formula (and especially crafting) didn't really do anything for me. I prefer tighter gameplay and the old fixed dungeon formula - shrines were occasionally cool, but there were too many of them without no overriding theme. The great beasts were kind of lite-dungeons, but there were only 4 of them and they fell far short IMO.

It's a game made for a newer generation, and I'm ok with that. Definitely not for me.

Latelistener

Arcane
I've been playing this game for some time now.

While I'm not a fan of the open world, as it can be boring, repetitive and Ubisoft-like (towers are here too), I'm surprised how good this game at being an immersive sim, while not being advertised as one.

I'm a little sad too, because I don't think we will get anything even remotely close, considering that the genre is in decline.
Instead of explaining what kind of stuff you can do in this game. I tried searching for videos that probably did it in a more elegant way.

I'm not agreeing with everything in this video, but it scratches the surface a bit about what you can do and expect from Breath of the Wild.

Maybe it was already discussed, but that's my 2 cents.

Neuromancer

Augur
EDIT: Here's the video again

Thanks to LESS T_T for sharing it.

Seeing this video from the very first post in this thread, I am kind of sad.

It is a shame, how they purposefully crippled the Wii U Version of this game.
It would have been so cool to see and control the map, inventory and other functions with the gamepad.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
I do think the gamepad was supposed to have a big impact on the overall gameplay. Like realtime item change and usage. Like WW HD and TP HD. No way the made that animation of Link eating food just for the inventory screen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom