Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gotham Knights - open world action-RPG where Batman is dead

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
https://www.gothamknightsgame.com

unknown.png

Batman is dead. It is now up to the Batman Family - Batgirl, Nightwing, Red Hood and Robin - to protect Gotham City, bring hope to its citizens, discipline to its cops, and fear to its criminals. You must evolve into the new Dark Knight and save Gotham from chaos. Your legacy begins now. Step into the Knight.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Pretty much looks like all the others apart from with different models. Played through every one up to Knight, but couldn't stomach the same game for the fourth time. Will wait and see if they add anything else besides co-op, but based on the videos it just looks like a reskin.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Infinitron can move it to the RPG games category:)
EgC4eykXkAMu6qf

Mostly looks like more Arkham Knights with optional Coop and more RPG elements, I am actually surprised I expected full-on multiplayer game. Which pretty much confirms that Rocksteady's game will be a complete Destiny clone

Last edited:

Ghulgothas

Arcane
There truly can't be a new generation of games without some manifestation of the Arkham Formula.

The Suicide Squad Premier ought to be more entertaining, though.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
I thought WB Montreal was being sold off? Either way I’m finding it very hard to believe that they are dumb enough to squander the court of owl’s storyline on a Batman game that doesn't have Batman in it.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
I thought WB Montreal was being sold off? Either way I’m finding it very hard to believe that they are dumb enough to squander the court of owl’s storyline on a Batman game that doesn't have Batman in it.
Don't be silly. Of course he's in it.

Of course. It's going to be some shocking 1 minute to midnight reveal. But it just seems odd to me that the court of owls has been wasted like this instead of being the main focus of a Batman centric game. This co-op gameplay feels like it should have been DLC to the main game six months after release, not the primary focus.

ADL

Prophet
Is there any reason they can't make a Batman Beyong game? Is it beyond their capacity?
Honestly given the current state of consoles and their hardware limitations I'm glad they haven't done it. If they don't do it with PS5/XSX on the table, something's wrong.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Will almost certainly have Denuvo so... not interested.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Don't be silly. Of course he's in it.

Of course. It's going to be some shocking 1 minute to midnight reveal. But it just seems odd to me that the court of owls has been wasted like this instead of being the main focus of a Batman centric game. This co-op gameplay feels like it should have been DLC to the main game six months after release, not the primary focus.

I assume they will use the Court's errr skills to bring Batman back at some point during the game,but yeah doing the Court of Owls without Batman as the main character from the start is just weird.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Watched this live. Big disappointment ensued. Gib Batman motherfucker.
Also it smells like Game as a Service type of game.
Coop is off-putting on its own and this would just seal the deal. Hard skip.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Batman is one of the few superhero things I pay attention to, but I've hated the "Batman family" shit. It's just goofy, the character works ten times better on his own or with Robin at most. That's one big turnoff right away. Also didn't Barbara stay Oracle in these games? Blah.

Also co-op and open world RPG screams not my thing too.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The weak opinion is to cry about not having Batman despite all of those chars being interesting on their own. (Also if you really think he's actually dead and they won't have him playable in DLC or something you're a moron)
The true take is to be annoyed about forced and unnecessary grind with half-assed co-op.

Codex Year of the Donut
The weak opinion is to cry about not having Batman despite all of those chars being interesting on their own. (Also if you really think he's actually dead and they won't have him playable in DLC or something you're a moron)
The true take is to be annoyed about forced and unnecessary grind with half-assed co-op.
nobody cares about sidekicks

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
What immediately strikes me is that story-wise, this game celebrates the Bat-family while Arkham Knight brought all of these characters together just to take a shit on it, and on Batman as well. Incline, but not a hard bar to pass.

Everything else seems to be decline compared to Knight though. The story trailer is 4 minutes long and the gameplay trailer 7 minutes long, and all they manage to convey is that the game is dull and unimaginative. They use the same old Arkham combat/stealth design, made worse by turning it into a shitty RPG (he even brags about level scaling at 7:00). And the story part that they decided to show was "Mr. Freeze attempts to freeze all of Gotham", just like in a certain panned 1997 movie. How is that gonna catch anyone's interest?

It doesn't help that the hair physics on Batgirl looked really stiff and poor, or that the framerate was terrible at times. Pre-alpha or not, that framerate gives off a really poor impression for a AAA game.

If they had done a Batman Beyond game instead, they would have been forced to make notable changes to the gameplay formula, and probably cooked up a more interesting and attention-grabbing story for the preview video as well.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
To be fair to Freeze he tries to cold up Gotham like every week, goes well beyond the shitty film. It was even done pretty well in The Animated Series, had a really nice atmosphere and somber tone.

A batman beyond game... eh it'd be cool but it's so ingrained in TAS it'd be a little strange to just jump straight into that. At the very least I cannot imagine anyone being able to pitch that considering BB hasn't been relevant for years, has no one people really recognize, all on a big budget this style usually requires. If BB got a game, I'd prefer something cheaper and stylizied.

Also people love the Bat Family, they're more popular than other mainline heroes like Wonder Woman.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom