Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Space Wreck - post-apocalyptic space RPG inspired by Fallout

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
WIP for the map codenamed "wasteland". This is the cargo hull of the asteroid ore hauling rock ship.

SW-Kurbads-grandiose-shields.png

Notice the sense of scale - second image is typical game play zoom level:

SW-Kurbads-grandiose-shields-close-up.png

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
BTW Kamaz you need to update your Early Access FAQ:

Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?

“We expect around 5-7 months after EA release (fall 2020).

Originally the Early Access was going to be out in February 2020. Are you just delaying the game in six month chunks? :P

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
Well... caught in the act they say.

But yes, thanks for pointing this out. Steam page update is due for some time already, the video is also part of the endeavor.

BTW, for what it's worth, I've adjusted the video. Yesterday was some deadline, so it had to be finished no matter what, but this is more what I intended:

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
lol whoops. Should I delete my newspost until you're done with the full update?

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
A very short clip from the intro sequence we've been working on. Shows you arriving to the starting location - wreck of the rock ship KURBADS.

(If you watch with sound on, you'll get a sense of atmosphere I am going for)

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
This week showcase is the tiniest thing ever - NPC push functionality.

SW-push-mechanic.gif

When friendly NPC is blocking your way somehow (computer access or smth), you can try to ask her/him to step aside. The catch is that it depends on your SPEECH roll.

Probably useless quirk but hey, it's there.

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
This is starting to look cool as shit. I take it is now longer than a 1 hour game like the demo? I know you wanted players to be able to finish it in one evening, did you stick to that?

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
This is starting to look cool as shit.
Thanks!

I take it is now longer than a 1 hour game like the demo? I know you wanted players to be able to finish it in one evening, did you stick to that?
Hard to say now, before testing. I do have altered the main quest a bit and it is longer though I also have removed parts and made them optional, so it's hard to judge. Also, added are few longer side-quests that are optional but add more context on the world.

Ideally SW would be a game you play through in one sitting, in one evening. But you could play it again and have a different experience altogether.

And, if I expand the game, it usually is not to make it longer but instead offer more ways to play play through it.

Drowed

Arcane
Ideally SW would be a game you play through in one sitting, in one evening. But you could play it again and have a different experience altogether.

Not that I want to change your mind, because at the current stage of design I guess you are right now, I don't even think it would be possible to change the direction of the project without essentially throwing everything up. But I do think that's a shame - not for the duration itself, but for what it will probably represent in the skill curve within the game.

One of the most interesting parts of any RPG, besides creating your character, is watching that character develop gradually. Becoming more competent in whatever area you decided to invest your levels/experience. If the game is really that short, it can only mean one of two scenarios in my head: either your character gains experience extremely fast, which would be at least a bit jarring, or he doesn't change that much during the game, which means the game is more static and the weight is all on the character's creation rather than its development.

In both cases I feel that a bit of the 'essence' of an RPG is lost, but I still have high expectations for this project. Literally it's in the top 10 of the games I'm looking forward to seeing what the final result will be like after the release!

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
But I do think that's a shame - not for the duration itself, but for what it will probably represent in the skill curve within the game.
That is a very good and valid point. I feel that this is very much a possibility and thanks for raising that possible issue.

However, couple nuances -
1) I kind of dislike the power creep in most RPGs (Fallout included). I've noticed that the most fun I had was with imperfect character at low levels. So, this game might turn out an experiment to see what if whole game would be like that.
2) the progression system is a bit weird in SW. There's an attribute WORK, that determines how much experience you gain per quest (from 50% of baseline at 1 to 200% at 5). That means you can have a character that quickly gains levels, but has sacrificed other main attributes like PHYSICAL (kind of STR + AGI), PERCEPTION, CHARM or FOCUS - that cannot be raised by skillpoints and has to rely on skills. Or you can have chad-like character that has all the natural talents and excellent genes but cannot learn a shit. Point is, you can have a character that will have a lot of levelups or just few.

But that's just speculation and wishful thinking from my part at this moment, only as soon as I get someone to play it, it will be possible to see how it has turned out.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
When friendly NPC is blocking your way somehow (computer access or smth), you can try to ask her/him to step aside. The catch is that it depends on your SPEECH roll.
This will be more annoying than anything if it's up to a random roll, and it probably doesn't stop the player from spamming said ability until the NPC does step away, lest you're left stuck somewhere and forced to reload at worst.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Not that I want to change your mind, because at the current stage of design I guess you are right now, I don't even think it would be possible to change the direction of the project without essentially throwing everything up. But I do think that's a shame - not for the duration itself, but for what it will probably represent in the skill curve within the game.

One of the most interesting parts of any RPG, besides creating your character, is watching that character develop gradually. Becoming more competent in whatever area you decided to invest your levels/experience. If the game is really that short, it can only mean one of two scenarios in my head: either your character gains experience extremely fast, which would be at least a bit jarring, or he doesn't change that much during the game, which means the game is more static and the weight is all on the character's creation rather than its development.

In both cases I feel that a bit of the 'essence' of an RPG is lost, but I still have high expectations for this project. Literally it's in the top 10 of the games I'm looking forward to seeing what the final result will be like after the release!

Honestly, I think the world needs more short RPGs.

It's great to be able to play a game and go from start to finish in one or two evenings. Fallout is kinda like that especially when you focus on the main quest, and there's no lack of character development in it. It also makes a game more replayable because it doesn't force you through a lot of filler.

A shorter duration also means removal of power creep. It doesn't mean there's no character development at all, but it won't be so extreme that a max level character can one-shot every low level NPC in the game. It also means your initial build matters more as you won't be able to turn yourself into a master of all trades.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
1) I kind of dislike the power creep in most RPGs (Fallout included). I've noticed that the most fun I had was with imperfect character at low levels. So, this game might turn out an experiment to see what if whole game would be like that.
Oh, fuck yes, a whole game built around the hobo phase. I'm already loving this shit.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
The game doesn't have the visuals to sustain a long campaign therefore focusing on high quality quests is probably the best plan for it.

I will buy it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Welcome to the DEV ZONE:

In order to view and debug animations for the game, we've created a tool. In fact, this is actually entire backstage level, scripted entirely like games content, like rest of the game.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
SW-sneak-peek.gif

Sneak peek into the new ...uh....sneak peek system. Principle is simple: the better your sneak skill, the smaller NPC detection area. If you step into their FOV, roll for each tile.

TL;DR

Actually, it's the difference between your sneak skill and NPC's PERCEPTION attribute that determines the extent of the FOV field. However, when you step into the FOV, your sneak is rolled against NPC's FOCUS. Then there's also the concept of alertness - NPCs can have level of alertness and what it means is that sneak roll has to fail multiple times before NPC spots you. The less alert they are, the more forgiving they are (hence FOCUS). Also, if you are sneaking past some non-hostile humanoids, your CHARM plays a role as well - it decreases or increases NPCs alertness depending on how charming you are. If you are likable person (high CHARM), they will be more lenient, however if you are repulsive bastard (low CHARM), they'll be looking over your shoulder all the time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom