Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best PC gaming news/reviews websites?

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
With emphasis on reviews. I don't want to miss these good indie/less known games, that slip under radar.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Gamebanshee has good RPG reviews usually, which are critical but not try-hard. Honestly though I usually just watch some extended Youtube footage with light or zero commentary and get everything I need from that.

As for news, Infinitron is pretty good at posting stuff relevant to our interests. I sometimes scan the headlines of PC Gamer or Eurogamer just to make sure I don't miss some important general gaming news, but stay far away from their editorial style content. There's a ton of angry boomer blogs out there I'm sure someone will link to soon, if that's your thing.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Since its general gaming forum, please don't focus on RPG games only. We have codex for that ;)
And as i said, i like sites that reviews also more niche game, not AAA or AA games. Indie reviews are very welcome too. In fact if you know a news/reviews site focused solely to indies i would be most welcome to hear it.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
As for news, Infinitron is pretty good at posting stuff relevant to our interests

j1Kfqin.gif

You probably know of it already but I'd recommend www.homeoftheunderdogs.net

All the good old reviews are still up and are generally on point.

Sjukob

Arcane
Don't neglect codex. You can read some of my stuff, for example, I write something new once in a while, here's my latest piece. Actually, there are plenty of reviews on the codex, it's just kind of a pain in the ass to look for them, since you have to browse specific threads. For example, Ninja Destroyer, cretin and durandal write something about FPS games occasionally, I'm sure that if you're willing you can find many more.

Nyx

Novice
Not PC focused, but I haven't felt annoyed reading nichegamer and videogamer yet.
Nichegamer is the best video game news website out there!
Don't neglect codex. You can read some of my stuff, for example, I write something new once in a while, here's my latest piece. Actually, there are plenty of reviews on the codex, it's just kind of a pain in the ass to look for them, since you have to browse specific threads. For example, Ninja Destroyer, cretin and durandal write something about FPS games occasionally, I'm sure that if you're willing you can find many more.
That's a huge review thingy, so sad that got buried in that thread. Someone should make a thread only for reviews of games, mods and maps so they can be more easily found.

RingerTheZinger

Literate
check out these ones ! https://mimidoshima.wordpress.com/
this is not only for video games , its for japanese media as well , he talk about alot of obscure (indie?) japanese games
this blog has alot of posts

https://quofvnrw.wordpress.com/
this is another personal blog which is more foucused of games , also he have top 10 games of decade , which i didnt heard of most of the games it , you may wanna to know about these games

also this is another friend of them https://hadlerblog.wordpress.com/

also im sorry for the wrong grammars and spelling (even in this apoligize ?)

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Do people seriously still read gaming reviews? The last review I read was Dragon Age: Origins in like 2009 or so. It kept me from buying the game for a long time because, at the time, I only bought games >90 or something scores. Anyways, bought in 2010 and wasn't disappointed. One of the best AAA titles I've played.

FML, I just noticed it's been 10 fucking years! My life is just fucking oozing through my hands since I graduated high school.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, I stopped reading 99% of reviews when it became easy to watch a chunk of unedited gameplay video in HD.

Silentstorm

Learned
Not PC focused, but I haven't felt annoyed reading nichegamer and videogamer yet.
For those who aren't aware, it's basically the anti-Polygon or Kotaku site, if there is anything related to censorship or talks about how games portray stuff, you can bet the comments will be full of anti-SJW stuff, for instance, a lot of places regarding the Lab Zero Games debacle are fully against Mike Z, Nichegamer is the only place i found where the comment section is in support of Mike and no one believes the sexual harassment allegations and believes the others are the jerks.

I know there are people here who really hate anything to do with SJWs, so Nichegamer is a great option, and they also just talk about games at times.

Honestly, it's a good option, but i barely actually read anything, these days i just go at sites to see what games are upcoming and leave without reading the reviews most of the time or not going too deep at the comment sections.

Anytime i find a decent looking site, it stops getting regularly updated or i find some really off gaming scores that make me more wary of the tastes of the reviewers there.

Naraya

Arcane
After noticing a potentially interesting game, I made it a habit to type "g rpgcodex $GAMENAME" in the URL bar of my browser. And usually, after reading the related Kodex thread and acting accordingly (playing the game or staying the fuck away from it) - I am not disappointed.

Sometimes it can backfire horribly though...
...(case in point: Oblivion).

lycanwarrior

Scholar
Wccftech is good for both gaming and general tech news.

PCGamer can be entertaining as well, although the SJW diatribes and political commentary (recently with Trump and the Capital riots) gets tiresome real fast.

Deleted member 7219

There are none.

PC Gamer and Eurogamer tend to post about relevant stuff, but they have a SJW agenda and hate gamers in general, so take what they report with a pinch of salt.

Gematsu seems to be the only publication that gives a shit about Trails. Good luck getting any western site to sit up and take notice.

The news and thread updates posted by Infinitron tend to be the most informative, but he's also a bit of a troll and I'd say 25% of it is bait.

ferratilis

Magister
PC Gamer is terrible. Not only because of the SJW stuff, but because every other article is an ad for some hardware or an article about Epic Store. Also, the layout of their website (and most other gaming websites) is ugly. And let's not forget they gave Dragon Age 2 94 describing it as "RPG of the decade," while Pathfinder got 69 because it wasn't "as good as Pillars of Eternity or Divinity Original Sin" If you want to read interesting opinions about games, make sure they're not written by journalism school rejects.

Codex is my go-to source of gaming news, but here's what I have also bookmarked:
Blue's News - it's more like a news aggregator where you can get daily gaming news at a glance. Pretty useful.
DSO Gaming - the site only posts news; reviews or opinions are very rare. Most importantly, they post news about mods, which most other websites ignore. Also, the site is maintained by a few regular guys who are not journalists, so no SJW shit, luckily.
/r/pcgaming - sometimes you can see dumb posts, but mostly it's good for staying up to date with latest news. Surprisingly, this subreddit can be pretty based. When the Chris Avellone accusation came out, most of the posts were defending him. But, moderators being pussies that they are, they locked the thread. Also, every Saturday, they post a collection of best gaming deals for the weekend, it can be useful. Avoid most other gaming subs, it's nothing but circlejerk and low-tier posts.
gg.deals and /r/gamedeals - if you want to check out what's on sale

Silentstorm

Learned
Honestly, i just read the headlines and some more if there is something that looks interesting and go from what other people recommend or say, a lot of articles can get political rather than being about games, fine for actual news, but for everything else?

Not really, i tend to just avoid anything that is blatantly SJW or Anti-SJW because holy crap, they can't seem to stop to insert a line about how the other side sucks when i just want to read about an upcoming game, both are equally annoying.

That being said, Niche Gamer doesn't do much political comments, when i say Anti-SJW, it's the comment section, oh boy, no one needs to worry about reading SJW comments there at least.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom