Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline My Wife's Mod for Arcanum

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
My wife's favorite RPGs are Icewind Dale and Arcanum. I never understood why that is, mine are Fallout and Baldur's Gate.
She often nudges me to play those games, and sometimes you just feel that it's time to replay one of those classics. I felt the call about Arcanum two weeks ago.

But before I got into it, I explained to her my position on the early 00s isometric RPGs. I have a bone to pick with their resolution situation we're in right now.

Before '95, games used pixelated graphics, so it's very simple with them - you just upscale them through Nearest Neighbor and you're good to go. Lossless Scaling allows just that.
Modern games are fine, too.
But there is a period between '97 and 2003 that saw isometric games with a realistic graphics. They can't be upscaled using nearest neighbor, they'd look jagged.

For them, we have "high resolution" mods that shoot the camera into the sky. Everything becomes minuscule, but displayed at its true resolution.
The downside of that approach is you can see too much of the area.
The camera becomes less intimate, you can see shit you have no business seeing. You also concentrate on a tiny rectangle on your monitor where you characters are. It's bad.
Some people even keep their old monitors just for those games.

Those of us who aren't lucky enough to own a CRT, we can render the game at a compromise resolution of 1366*768 or 1600*900 and play in full screen.
This technique upscales the image to 1920*1080 through linear texture filtering. This makes the image so blurry, it's like looking through a wet window. It's bad.

So how do you fix it?

I explained it to my wife, who decided to write a better upscaler. She spent 2 weeks writing a program that would grab my 1366*768 image and upscale it to 1920*1080 through bicubic interpolation.
This makes the image look crisper, sharper, the details look amazingly well.
I'm enjoying the fuck out of it, and decided to show you how I'm currently playing Arcanum.

fe7b00580f2a1d9c168c52ea37fb2e1a.png

c62553cfec5718bef6db6bf19a4e4e9a.png

What the mod does is this:
- Captures the image in Arcanum's window
- Upscales it to... no, scratch that, it took 100ms for a single frame on the CPU to upscale it
- Passes the image on to the GPU instead
- GPU upscales it
- Renders it gloriously at full screen on another monitor

Which means I need two monitors for this, but I have them, so I'm good. She says it could be done with one monitor, maybe, but capturing things in an inactive window in older games is very difficult.
There are libraries for capturing things in DX9-12 games, but Arcanum is based on DDraw, which is like DX7 or less. And maybe if she was Drog or if Drog's High Res mod was open source,
she could do it, but she's thankfully not Drog, and Drog is a mercantile asshole who keeps mods hostage until payment is sent to his Patreon, never sharing his code.

Anyway, that's how I'm playing Arcanum. Wanted to share with you guys.

Last edited:

Silly Germans

My wife's favorite RPGs are Icewind Dale and Arcanum. I never understood why that is, mine are Fallout and Baldur's Gate.
She often nudges me to play those games, and sometimes you just feel that it's time to replay one of those classics. I felt the call about Arcanum two weeks ago.

But before I got into it, I explained to her my position on the early 00s isometric RPGs. I have a bone to pick with their resolution situation we're in right now.

Before '95, games used pixelated graphics, so it's very simple with them - you just upscale them through Nearest Neighbor and you're good to go. Lossless Scaling allows just that.
Modern games are fine, too.
But there is a period between '97 and 2003 that saw isometric games with a realistic graphics. They can't be upscaled using nearest neighbor, they'd look jagged.

For them, we have "high resolution" mods that shoot the camera into the sky. Everything becomes minuscule, but displayed at its true resolution.
The downside of that approach is you can see too much of the area.
The camera becomes less intimate, you can see shit you have no business seeing. You also concentrate on a tiny rectangle on your monitor where you characters are. It's bad.
Some people even keep their old monitors just for those games.

Those of us who aren't lucky enough to own a CRT, we can render the game at a compromise resolution of 1366*768 or 1600*900 and play in full screen.
This technique upscales the image to 1920*1080 through linear texture filtering. This makes the image so blurry, it's like looking through a wet window. It's bad.

So how do you fix it?

I explained it to my wife, who decided to write a better upscaler. She spent 2 weeks writing a program that would grab my 1366*768 image and upscale it to 1920*1080 through bicubic interpolation.
This makes the image look crisper, sharper, the details look amazingly well.
I'm enjoying the fuck out of it, and decided to show you how I'm currently playing Arcanum.

fe7b00580f2a1d9c168c52ea37fb2e1a.png

c62553cfec5718bef6db6bf19a4e4e9a.png

What the mod does is this:
- Captures the image in Arcanum's window
- Upscales it to... no, scratch that, it took 100ms for a single frame on the CPU to upscale it
- Passes the image on to the GPU instead
- GPU upscales it
- Renders it gloriously at full screen on another monitor

Which means I need two monitors for this, but I have them, so I'm good. She says it could be done with one monitor, maybe, but capturing things in an inactive window in older games is very difficult.
There are libraries for capturing things in DX9-12 games, but Arcanum is based on DDraw, which is like DX7 or less. And maybe if she was Drog or if Drog's High Res mod was open source,
she could do it, but she's thankfully not Drog, and Drog is a mercantile asshole who keeps mods hostage until payment is sent to his Patreon, never sharing his code.

Anyway, that's how I'm playing Arcanum. Wanted to share with you guys.

The results of bicubic interpolation are pretty good. Did your good wife also try convolution methods, like Lanczos sampling ?

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I always thought Bester was just a smelly weirdo from Russia but it turns out he is actually a smelly weirdo from Russia who has a wife!

It's even better than that. It seems to me that Bester not only got a wife who likes to play computer games, but specifically likes RPGs, and then on top of that is prepared to mod those games. Certainly at least a roll of at least 18 in in INT, WIS, CHA stats there.

+ the Russian racial bonus of 1 for each (maybe 3 or more for CHA).

I did say in that incel thread that there are cool women out there. I believe it.

Lucky bastard. :argh:

Absinthe

Arcane
Also fuck you where is the source?
It's not release ready. All values are currently hardcoded for my particular setup, instead of detecting some values automatically and offering a configurable UI for some other stuff. I'm playing it, but nobody else can.
If you open source it other people can help chip in the remaining work to make it work with any setup.

jackofshadows

Magister
You sure know how to fucking show off. Respect.

Regarding game itself - dunno, just replayed it after a while, was fine with native resolution on a usual modern display, nothing too blurry. Would be nice to use the wide screen but cba, it's alrite as is. The game's looks are not the prettiest anyway.

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
Now tell her to run it with DLSS 2.0.

I am not sure how the mod works though, is it in the same process of the game? Are you screen grabbing from one screen and display it scaled on the other?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom