Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
you cant make him into shit lmao he has no fatigueeeee

Jrpgfan

Erudite
If he gets lucky with the fatigue rolls he could be a decent bro with lots of possibilities. You could soften the fatigue issue with brawny. And if he invests some points in HP + colossus you could make him into a decent 2hander or duelist. Not the best out there, but decent.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Even a cleaver/whip duelist would be viable, although a little fatigue heavy so not sure if the best option for this bro in particular.

vazha

Arcane
You can make a perfectly fine maceman murderhobo with minimum fatique which is what I'd go for with him. Swordmasters arent ideal for that role obviously (they arent ideal period, it's a trick class), but still. Wont do well as a backliner if you want to go double reap route, not enough fatique unless naked.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
20200822134223-1.jpg

In the middle of a holy war. Should I do it just for the lulz?

Harthwain

Magister
What's silly about it? X-com for example rigged the RNG in favor of the player. Why is it so outrageous to discuss this? And like I said earlier, I'm well aware of how human intuition can be biased and flawed, especially with emotions flared up because the game really doesn't forgive, but I'm mostly curious about this case in particular because I don't recall seeing this much controversy about RNG in any other game before. Not that I claim it doesn't exist - just that I myself am unfamiliar with it.
I can tell you I have seen complaints about RNG in pretty much every single game using RNG (and my library of turn-based games is pretty extensive).

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
I can tell you I have seen complaints about RNG in pretty much every single game using RNG (and my library of turn-based games is pretty extensive).
People don't realize how boring deterministic systems would be once they acquire meta knowledge.

Murk

Arcane
Weirdness with southern cities (since release of the DLC but also on most recent patch):

1) southern cities, even when next to water (right on it), really don't like having a harbor which makes travel a pain

2) you can spawn with only 2 southern cities

Last edited:

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
People don't realize how boring deterministic systems would be once they acquire meta knowledge.
Like chess? When the system is rich enough determinism does not lead to boredom but makes more intricate planning possible.
See also Eador. It has just a tiny bit of randomness in damage rolls but is still one of the best TBS games ever made.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
Like chess? When the system is rich enough determinism does not lead to boredom but makes more intricate planning possible.
It's a lot harder making a deterministic system as good as chess, it's easier to simply make it RNG based.
RPGs aren't chess, they're extremely static compared to it and the amount of variability is, obviously, nowhere near as close.
Battle brothers would get boring real quick if it was a deterministic system.
See also Eador
Haven't played it but from what little I've seen it's King's Bounty meets HoMM. Having RNG designed into the combat in those games would be pretty bad. Like having a deterministic system in an RPG.
RNG means that the game is going to be interesting even with a fully optimized and geared party, or at the very least that victory isn't a foregone conclusion.

RNG on skill checks on the other hand is the real problem, that should be deterministic as far as I'm concerned.

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
I wasn't arguing that Battle Brothers or RPGs in general should be deterministic, the chaotic nature of it is central to the game. You just made an unqualified statement so I responded generally.

Calcium

Educated
screenshots

E15EA9553C4BFE6EF11AFBC29836F679ECB06EA7

Can this guy be made into a decent nimble bro? I want to try out the new dagger for my nimble builds but I don't know if 63 starting melee is good enough. Fatigue and Initiative out the ass though.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Recruitment pools of southern cities seem pretty bad. No, I don't want your shitty slaves and daytalers. Maybe I'll start commuting and picking up stronk aryan farmers to tackle the new southern content.

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
Can this guy be made into a decent nimble bro? I want to try out the new dagger for my nimble builds but I don't know if 63 starting melee is good enough. Fatigue and Initiative out the ass though.
no stars on mattack = trash bin

vazha

Arcane
screenshots

E15EA9553C4BFE6EF11AFBC29836F679ECB06EA7

Not enough melee, sadly. Even one star would do it, but without stars I am afraid he'll never be optimal. Decent? maybe, but not elite.

Darth Canoli

Arcane

Not enough melee, sadly. Even one star would do it, but without stars I am afraid he'll never be optimal. Decent? maybe, but not elite.

This is horseshit, even with mods trying to make stars do what they're supposed to, there is some 0/1* stats getting a lot of 2/3 level-up bonuses.

Give him a try, he might become a fencer dodger superstar.

Calcium

Educated

This is horseshit, even with mods trying to make stars do what they're supposed to, there is some 0/1* stats getting a lot of 2/3 level-up bonuses.

Give him a try, he might become a fencer dodger superstar.

I passed him up. Definitely gonna roll some southern backgrounds for this dumb dagger meme.

Murk

Arcane
I'm still on the fence about the firearms, but this famed handgonne has really come in handy against unarmored enemies a few times. Bersker + crossbow mastery means you can shoot, reload, shoot in one turn. I imagine with the viper's bonus you can do it a few times over, but that'd be a waste IMO.

Overwhelm seems to work with it too so it's a nice AOE debuff in some ways.
3b256e307503542fd62da86e8440f00f.png

Tigranes

Arcane
A regular handgonne has been pretty good to me even through a holy war, where Ahab could regularly blast two or three Northerners' armour clean off with a single shot. Nice to be able to soften them up AOE then go in and shiv them one-hit. Only put it on a regular nothing-special soldier though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom