Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

FriendlyMerchant

>It doesn't seem like power attack cares about your STR
I think it does. Here's a character with 20 STR. He's doing more damage with Power Attack. I think its working.
YOj8Cz4.png

That's just the flat STR bonus. 1d4+ 5 (str) + 1 power attack. It's only 1 because it looks like the game is interpreting the weapon as an off-hand or maybe it just acts weird with finesse weapons. Switch to fists or test out a long sword. It will be 1d3 + 5 (STR) + 2 power attack.

FriendlyMerchant

Try Pirhanna strike instead of power attack for the build. 14 Dex is enough for it. It seems that the daggers and finesse weapons aren't getting the full bonus from power attack. But they get the full damage bonus from Piranha strike.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
It doesn't matter though. The bonuses to damage from Power Attack increase when you reach +4 BAB. I guess I was just wrong in thinking that STR makes it scale.

FriendlyMerchant

It looks like I am only getting +2 from power attack?
Yeah. feat says it's only supposed to be +2. All the damage increase you got when you upped the str was from the str bonus. You can get an extra +1 if it is a weapon that can be wielded in to hands (and wielded in two hands) like a longsword or greatsword. That, other than the halved damage it seems to be giving the kukri (not mentioned in feat description) is all the feat cares about.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
It looks like I am only getting +2 from power attack?
Yeah. feat says it's only supposed to be +2. All the damage increase you got when you upped the str was from the str bonus. You can get an extra +1 if it is a weapon that can be wielded in to hands (and wielded in two hands) like a longsword or greatsword. That, other than the halved damage it seems to be giving the kukri (not mentioned in feat description) is all the feat cares about.
Yeah. That sounds about right.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Going for a Rogue/Cleric sounds like punching yourself in the dick, to be honest, especially for your first playthrough. Out of 12 companions, 2 are clerics and 2 are different breeds of rogues. Obviously you can immediately multiclass Tristian and Harrim, while Octavia and Nok-Nok would still play very differently from your MC, but I still can't see what the advantage of a Cleric/Rogue would be over a more straightforward character like a pure Cleric or Inquisitor.

Robber Baron

Savant
Was pleasantly surprised to find out that the game has a dedicated control layout for Steam Link. Plays surprisingly well on a tablet, Owlcat should consider android release at some point.

edit:
oops wrong thread, was meant to post in PFK one

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
but I still can't see what the advantage of a Cleric/Rogue would be over a more straightforward character like a pure Cleric or Inquisitor.
Playing the character concept I like.
Sure, I get that. I love playing Druid/Rogue characters even if usually there's little to no point in doing so.

It's just that, in Kingmaker, I usually find very underwhelming every possible "martial" multiclass combination of clerics with anything else than a level of Fighter or Monk.

FriendlyMerchant

Yeah. That sounds about right.
It looks like unless you want cornugon or something like that, it might be better for a knife master to go with piranha strike for now. For some reason, the game is giving the knife master weapons (also tested this with short sword, dagger, and punching dagger) only half of the power attack bonus, +1 instead of +2. I guess bug maybe since there's nothing in the feat that says those weapons would get half the bonus damage when used in your main hand (only off-hand).

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
>Piranha Strike
Just in case: https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/piranha-strike-combat/
You know just to clear up any confusion. You know.

Hey didn't mean to be an asshat with the link. But I know where you thought it scaled with STR, it was STR scaling back in 3.5. Famous builds stacking ungodly amounts of STR and then picking Leap Attack for that delicious multiplier.
Lol relax. You weren't a jerk about it. I had to link the Piranha Strike here just to make sure I didn't make any mistakes this time, like last time.

Takamori

Learned
>Piranha Strike
Just in case: https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/piranha-strike-combat/
You know just to clear up any confusion. You know.

Hey didn't mean to be an asshat with the link. But I know where you thought it scaled with STR, it was STR scaling back in 3.5. Famous builds stacking ungodly amounts of STR and then picking Leap Attack for that delicious multiplier.
whoever said citation needed, yeah my memory was flawed. But the build is Shock Trooper and you sacrificed AC instead of STR.

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?349661-Leap-attack-Or-shock-trooper-3-5&p=17489260

Still for knowledge

FriendlyMerchant

Okay. It looks like you were right. So its recommended for his cleric/rogue to go Piranha Strike instead of Power Attack.
0cbzlG8.png
j7s5i86.png

I didn't realize such a thing happened until you posted the picture of the 20 STR guy only getting +6 damage from power attack + STR. There's nothing in the power attack feat description that says a dagger should be getting only half of the power attack bonus. There's nothing in the rules that I know of that would say you would have to take half the bonus from power attack with a dagger so I think this is just a bug. If this were P&P, it probably wouldn't make a difference. Piranha is for low STR high DEX builds. But Power Attack is for STR builds. If this bug gets fixed, power attack will probably be better just because it's actually a prereq to more feats in the game where piranha is not a prereq for anything.

xjnnl5whac931.png

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Do you have any idea if his build will work on Unfair? Up to now I've only been testing it on normal.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom