Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Random Adventure Game News Thread

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Good find, thanks, I spent my Sunday on the game and just completed it. Past the initial disappointement because there's no class nor utility skills and the specific Quest For Glory part is limited to combat and a few combat stats which increase, the game is alright. The music is nice, when it works, since the only technical problem about the game (or is it some compatibility with my config?) is with the music, it often does not work, also the RAM taken by the music (it's a process independant from the DOSBox) explodes and you need to quit the game and restart from times to times, that's nothing but it's worth mentioning because it's unsettling at first. The game is not particularly easy nor particularly hard (well it's easy by Serria's standards), the story is standard Quest For Glory fairy tale.

Some screenshots :
JDj0mhq.png

m3AwJ88.png
Hk5s2OE.png
CU1aJhq.png
ANpJKOD.png
B8o6rg0.png
G25X0Z9.png
RLJ3kn5.png
5oHLKvZ.png
TSiBzZ2.png
LwUtwJZ.png
eUQXOd8.png
lVwPTXw.png
udBCTgL.png
vWYoSPX.png
8mAqtHh.png
TZ4JF1c.png
Lbu8Tzo.png
8VKYibB.png
lHChTmX.png
s21GAOk.png
XlcIJV2.png
KajrHc5.png
BcLehTC.png
1gkqmAY.png
V0h76m3.png
Jcqj0UQ.png
fycdDzx.png
Eb621vN.png
shFaipO.png
cJb2AZc.png

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Antiquarian returns to Legend Entertainment with Superhero League of Hoboken: https://www.filfre.net/2020/08/superhero-league-of-hoboken/

Unfortunately, Superhero League of Hoboken‘s course after its release was markedly different from that of Band on the Run. The game got a lot of support from the all-important Computer Gaming World magazine, including an extended preview and a very positive review just a couple of issues later that proclaimed it “the first true comedy CRPG ever”; this wasn’t strictly correct, but was truthy enough for the American market at least. And yet it sold miserably from the get-go, for reasons which Legend couldn’t quite divine. Legend was no Sierra or Electronic Arts; they averaged just two game releases per year, and the failure of one of them could be an existential threat to the whole company.

But they got lucky. Just after Hoboken‘s release, the book-publishing titan Random House made a major investment in Legend; they were eager to make a play in the new world of CD-ROM, and, having been impressed by Legend’s earlier book adaptations, saw a trans-media marketing opportunity for their existing print authors and franchises. This event took some of the sting from Hoboken‘s failure. Random House’s marketing consultants soon joined in to try to solve the puzzle of the game’s poor performance, informing Legend that the central issue in their opinion was that the cover art was just too “busy” to stand out on store shelves. This verdict was received with some discomfort at Legend; the cover in question had been the work of Peggy Oriani, Bob Bates’s wife. Nevertheless, they dutifully went with a new, Random House-approved illustration for the CD-ROM release, splashed with excerpts from the many glowing reviews the game had received. It didn’t help; sales remained terrible.

Steve Meretzky would later blame the game’s failure on its long production time, which, so he claimed, made it look like a musty oldie upon its release. And indeed, it was the last Legend game to use only VGA rather than higher resolution SVGA graphics. Still, and while the difference in sharpness between this game’s graphics and Legend’s next game Death Gate is pronounced, Hoboken really doesn’t look unusually bad among a random selection of other games from its year; there were still plenty of vanilla VGA games being released in 1994 and even well into 1995 as software gradually evolved to match the latest hardware. The real problem was likely that of an industry that was swiftly hardening into ever more rigid genres, each of which came complete with its own set of fixed expectations. An adventure game with hit points and fighting? A CRPG with no dungeons or dragons, hurling social satire in lieu of magic spells? Superhero League of Hoboken just didn’t fit anywhere. As if all that wasn’t bad enough, unlicensed superhero games of any stripe have historically struggled for market share; it seems that when gamers strap on their (virtual) spandex suits, they want them to be those of the heroes they already know and love, not a bunch of unknown weirdos like the ones found here.

A few months after the release of the CD-ROM version, Legend received a cease-and-desist letter out of the blue from Marvel Comics. It seemed that Marvel and DC Comics were the proud owners of a joint trademark on the name of “superhero” when used as part of the title of a publication. (This sounds to my uneducated mind like a classic example of an illegal corporate trust, but I’m no lawyer…) While there was cause to question whether “publications” in this sense even encompassed computer games at all, it hardly seemed a battle worth fighting given the game’s sales figures. Already exhausted from flogging this dead horse, Legend worked out a settlement with Marvel whereby they were allowed to continue to sell those copies still in inventory but promised not to manufacture any more. In the end, Superhero League of Hoboken became the least successful Legend game ever, with total sales well short of 10,000 copies — a dispiriting fate for a game that deserved much, much better.

That fate makes Hoboken a specimen of a gaming species that’s rarer than you might expect: the genuine unheralded classic. The fact is that most great games in the annals of the field have gotten their due, if not always in their own time than in ours, when digital distribution has allowed so many of us to revisit and reevaluate the works of gaming’s past. Yet Superhero League of Hoboken has continued to fly under the radar, despite its wealth of good qualities. Its sharp-edged humor never becomes an excuse for neglecting the fundamentals of good design, as sometimes tends to happen with forthrightly comedic games. It’s well-nigh perfectly balanced and perfectly paced. Throughout its considerable but not overwhelming length, its fights and puzzles alike remain challenging enough to be interesting but never so hard that they become frustrating and take away from its sense of fast-paced fun. And then it ends, pretty much exactly when you feel like you’re ready for it to do so. A lot of designers of more hardcore CRPGs in particular could learn from this silly game’s example of never exhausting its player and refusing to outstay its welcome. The last great narrative-oriented game of Steve Meretzky’s career, Superhero League of Hoboken is also the one most ripe for rediscovery.

V_K

Arcane
The Antiquarian returns to Legend Entertainment with Superhero League of Hoboken: https://www.filfre.net/2020/08/superhero-league-of-hoboken/

That fate makes Hoboken a specimen of a gaming species that’s rarer than you might expect: the genuine unheralded classic. The fact is that most great games in the annals of the field have gotten their due, if not always in their own time than in ours, when digital distribution has allowed so many of us to revisit and reevaluate the works of gaming’s past. Yet Superhero League of Hoboken has continued to fly under the radar, despite its wealth of good qualities. Its sharp-edged humor never becomes an excuse for neglecting the fundamentals of good design, as sometimes tends to happen with forthrightly comedic games. It’s well-nigh perfectly balanced and perfectly paced. Throughout its considerable but not overwhelming length, its fights and puzzles alike remain challenging enough to be interesting but never so hard that they become frustrating and take away from its sense of fast-paced fun. And then it ends, pretty much exactly when you feel like you’re ready for it to do so. A lot of designers of more hardcore CRPGs in particular could learn from this silly game’s example of never exhausting its player and refusing to outstay its welcome. The last great narrative-oriented game of Steve Meretzky’s career, Superhero League of Hoboken is also the one most ripe for rediscovery.
This guy's tastes are so damn weird. Hoboken is an ok game, a solid 6.5, maybe 7 on a good day - but a classic? In what world?

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
The game has many flaws, the world basically opens only via finishing a chapter, equipment is only +attacks or +defense, there are very few combat skills, these full square maps to uncover are just boring and as an RPG it could have multiple ways to solve puzzles, I don't think there's even one navigation skill, the adventure part is really only about solving totally scripted puzzles.

Yet, I love it. The main reason is that I love party-based adventure games anyway, and I think the humour is really on point, it's not the only game which does that but there's nothing more fun than solving puzzles via hilariously retarded skills, and overall the adventure part is solid in my opinion. Despite what I said I think opening the world is still somewhat satisfying, I really don't hate the structure, it's just that I prefer when it feels less linked with advancing the story. You don't create your party but the narrative never goes into the kind of things which can make pregen narrative unbearable so it's alright. The combat is simple yet it's fast and uses stats and you need to spam the appropriate skills, it works, which is not a given, and that's really what I think about the overall RPG part, it works, at very worst I'd say it adds nothing to the game.

Last edited:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
This guy's tastes are so damn weird. Hoboken is an ok game, a solid 6.5, maybe 7 on a good day - but a classic? In what world?
It's the cliche divergence between the tastes of an academic or professional critic and the tastes of a normal person. The critic prizes novelty, subversion, even roughness because that gives him or her something to discuss from the vantage of expertise. A hamburger regular people can enjoy on a regular basis doesn't lend itself to commentary, even though it is almost by definition the "classic burger." Some crazy umami-flavored burger where the ground beef is steeped in oxtail stock and the cheese is moldy and so on is a conversation piece for a critic; after all, he can expatiate on what the hell "umami" is.

With gaming, the absolute ideal game for a critic is short, weird, referential to non-gaming works, and iconoclastic. A critic can discuss that game from a privileged position vis-a-vis his audience of gamers. By contrast, an extremely solid and unpretentious work that's squarely in a genre's core -- your King's Quest V, Doom II, Might & Magic III, Warcraft 2, what have you -- here there's nothing a critic can add other than going outside the game itself and talking about development drama or whatever. It's nearly certain that the run-of-the-mill adventure game player is better able to assess KQV than the run-of-the mill game critic. Half the time, when I read mainstream criticism of games in genres I regularly play, the review is embarrassingly bad.

Within that framework, Hoboken is of course going to be a "classic" while, say, Amberstar is going to be an also-ran mediocrity, even if for RPG players at the time, the latter might have been more appealing than the former. Today, there's not much to say about Amberstar.

Last edited:

V_K

Arcane
As an actual academic working in media/cultural studies, I take offense to this slander :argh:
Besides, I don't agree it really applies to Hoboken. I mean, I can see how Undertale or Dear Esther could be of theoretical interest even if I don't enjoy them as games. But the thing about Hoboken is that it's painfully by-the-numbers, its only distinguishing feature is the parody superhero setting - which, outside of gaming context, isn't terribly original either.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I skimmed the article and my favorite element is that the urge to share Deep Lore is so great that he ends by trying to narc on GOG for offering the game for sale, even while praising it as a game more people should play. :)

jfrisby

Cipher
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong
http://sierrahelp.com/forums/viewto...AUixjD5IfN5z1-HMzfIlf9hJfCrfWzW4vX_y04#p75751

w1cBq8Q.jpg

Ken Williams wrote:
Just finished writing the first pass at the book. 300 Pages. Now starts the editing. Lots of editing... It still feels like I'm on track to have some draft copies by early September. After I get feedback I'll do another round or two of editing with a goal of finishing by November.

I took a quick break from the editing to think about what the book cover might look like. Here's my first effort. Once I get something I like I'll turn it over to an artist to do something prettier...

Grin. I'm a little worried it will be TOO interesting. I'm making an edit pass now to look for all the things I probably shouldn't have said. I'm about 2/3rds through the book. It appears that if I remove all of the things I shouldn't have said, the book will dwindle from 300 pages to 1 paragraph. Darn!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/npfnwv29rdm9a ... 4.MOV?dl=0
mp3.gif
Untitled.mp4
Video from Ken's Dropbox
(3.47 MiB) Not downloaded yet

Ken Williams wrote:
Greetings Sierra Alums! After 25 years of sulking about Sierra’s destruction I’m finally working on a book about the rise and fall of Sierra. The book is mostly written, although my plan is to send 50 printed draft copies to various ex employees of Sierra and solicit feedback, from which I’ll add content (and, delete content).

Before you get excited (or frightened) about what I may have said, I should say that the book is written at a high-level overview level. Very few names of individuals appear in the book. It’s more of an autobiography. It discusses the strategies that made Sierra and the behind-the-scenes crap that brought sierra down.

As a side note, I just read a great book about Sierra, by Shawn Mills. I think it was called “The Sierra Adventure” and I have no idea how to get copies or when it will be released to the public (Shawn leaked me a copy). But, it is kind of the opposite of my book and in many ways probably more interesting to many Sierra ex-employees. It has a lot of trench-level behind the scenes blow by blow on various games we produced. There was lots of inside info that I didn’t know. If you find a copy, it is recommended reading.

Anyway .. back to my book.

If you are an ex Sierra employee, and want to pre-screen my book, email me your physical address (to ken@kensblog.com) Say a sentence or two about what you did at Sierra. I’ll pick 50 people to send copies to for comment. I’m mostly looking for people who were in a position to have a fairly broad perspective on events at the company. My memories of things are not great and I’m hoping that people can save me from embarrassing myself by screwing up dates or giving bad information. Apologies to people who don’t make the 50 copy cut, and I need to do another edit pass on the book before printing, so ...don’t expect anything until September.

Writing the book has had me reliving the Sierra adventure, and thinking about all the awesome things we did. It’s still tough for me to think about or talk about those days. I will never understand how such a great company could have been so brutally destroyed. It is a tragedy of epic proportions.

Stay safe everyone! These are some crazy times!

-Ken W

Boleskine

Arcane
Ken needs to make some upgrades on his boat, eh?

Better milk those Sierra fans a bit more with the same old story about how the evil businessmen came along and ruined the company.

I will never understand how such a great company could have been so brutally destroyed.

Yawn.

Ken fucked Sierra. He wanted a high bidder to buy the company and that's exactly what he got, albeit in surprise/hostile fashion.

WallaceChambers

Learned

Description

Join Kristal as she sets out on her journey to better understand herself and the world around her in a point and click adventure game, featuring turn-based combat and hand-painted environments.

Key Features

discover3.png

walk_short.gif

The Girl of Glass is set in a fictional mid-20th-century European country ruled by a tyrant eagle. You play as Kristal, the girl of glass, who is struggling with growing up, letting go of the past, and finding a future to believe in. On your journey of discovery, you will visit numerous places and meet a wonderful cast of characters to interact with – all in very detailed, hand-painted graphics.

visual_novel3.png

narrative_short.gif

The Girl of Glass tells a charming coming-of-age tale with its unique characters, beautiful settings and many dialogue options and choices that impact the story. You first meet Kristal at a circus where she is slaving for an ungrateful circus crew. One day a boy arrives and convinces her to run away with him. Together, they embark on the adventure of their lives. But it seems every road only leads her closer towards an inevitable confrontation with the eagle.

combat2.png

combat_short.gif

Battle your foes using a simple yet rewarding fighting system. Gain new skills and meet powerful allies as you make your way to face the ultimate evil. Every encounter is like a puzzle that you must solve by figuring out the strengths and weaknesses of your opponents. Predict what your enemy does next and you might just consider yourself victorious.

Adventure/RPG Hybrid coming out this summer, apparently.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Next up, Death Gate: https://www.filfre.net/2020/08/death-gate/

Nothing too interesting in this article other than a commentary on Computer Gaming World's negative review:

All of these good qualities serve to make the rather negative review of Death Gate which Computer Gaming World published after Johnny Wilson’s positive preview seem all the more jarring. Peter Olafson dinged the game for its supposed inconsistencies of tone, for thoughtlessly mixing the serious with the comedic. This really is a problem with many adventure games then and now, which tend to collapse into comedy as a crutch for their ridiculously convoluted puzzles. And yet I don’t see Death Gate as one of those games at all. On the contrary: it strikes me as doing an admirable job of sticking to its guns and avoiding this tendency. The humor here is actually of a piece with the humor of the source material, as even Olafson admits in a tossed-off sentence that desperately needs further elaboration: “Even though this comic relief is present in the books, it seemed distracting and inappropriate in the game.” (Why exactly is that, Mr. Olafson?) Whether or not one finds the befuddled old wizard Zifnab, who wandered into the Death Gate universe from a dimensional warp in the Dragonlance world of Krynn, as hilarious as he’s obviously meant to be, his portrayal in the game isn’t notably different from his portrayal in the novels.

But another of Olafson’s criticisms is more telling, so much so that I’d like to quote it in full here:

I occasionally was haunted by a feeling that Death Gate’s technology has outstripped its genre. All the amenities lavished on the game — the enormous reservoir of digitized speech, the SVGA graphics, the animated cut scenes — build expectations for a game mechanism to complement them. And as agreeable as the engine may be, the game proper is essentially the same old object-oriented adventuring: take everything that’s not nailed down and use it in a conspiracy to take everything that is. There is something inherently trivial about inhabiting a lavish world and being stranded simply by want of a certain item. [It] is rather like having an orchestra play “Row, Row, Row Your Boat.”​

If there is an overarching criticism to be raised against Death Gate, it’s this lack of will to innovate beyond the traditional confines of its genre. Indeed, the same criticism can be leveled against Legend’s catalog as a whole. While their adventures were the most consistently fair and literate in the industry during the 1990s, they were far from groundbreaking in formal terms. But then again, this eschewing of dizzying leaps in favor of keeping their feet planted firmly on solid ground does much to explain just why their games remain so playable to this day. In an industry that often fetishizes vision at the expense of craft, Legend’s games show how satisfying the tried and true can be when executed with thoroughgoing care.

Death Gate is a typical Legend game in another respect: it sold in reasonable but not overwhelming numbers; its sales figures remained in the five digits rather than the six or even seven to which the flashiest releases could aspire by 1994. Despite that, it wound up playing a role in Legend’s long-term evolution which was belied by its middling commercial performance.

Like many other small publishers, Legend found themselves increasingly threatened by the winds of change which blew through their industry as the 1990s wore on. The arrival of CD-ROM increased budgets enormously, thanks to the voice acting and richer and more elaborate graphic presentations that became not just possible but expected in this new era of 650 MB of storage. Meanwhile there arose a CD-ROM-fueled bubble in the marketplace, an ironic parallel to the bookware flash in the pan of exactly a decade earlier: titans of old media, from Disney to Random House, once again turned their attention to computer games as the potential Next Big Thing in publishing. How could little Legend hope to compete with the likes of them?

Well, as a wise person once said, if you can’t beat ’em, join ’em. By this point, Legend had established a solid relationship with Random House, first through their adaptations of Frederick Pohl’s Gateway novels and now with their work on Death Gate. With Random House eager to jump into computer games in a more concerted way, it made sense to both parties to cement the relationship — to, as they put it in their corporate-speak press release, “intensify the synergy established between them.” Mike Verdu spoke to me about it recently using more recognizably human language:

What drew Random House’s attention was the identity we had developed as a company that could take literary licenses and create properties out of them with the respect their authors thought they deserved. We had credibility as people who could take other authors’ worlds and build essentially new fictions in them, and take care of them and be a trusted partner in doing that. That had become sort of our trademark. As Random House was surveying what was then called “the new-media landscape,” they saw this as a very natural extension of their strength; it seemed like a very happy partnership.​

Random House injected $2.5 million into Legend in the fall of 1994, at virtually the same instant that Death Gate was hitting store shelves. The first fruits of the investment would appear the next year, when Legend released a three-CD full-motion-video extravaganza starring Michael Dorn, the actor best known as Worf from Star Trek: The Next Generation. That game cost almost an order of magnitude more to make than the ones Legend had been making before it, but its budget didn’t stem from arrogance or decadence. Legend was just trying to survive. And, accordingly to the conventional wisdom anyway, this was the only way to do it in the midst of the CD-ROM bubble.

In the end, the Random House deal would prove a mixed blessing at best. It gave the larger company a great deal of control over the smaller one — more control in reality than the latter had realized it would. It was structured to indemnify Random House against loss, such that Legend was on the hook to pay much of the investment back if they didn’t meet certain financial targets. For this reason not least, Random House would play an outsize role in the future in deciding which games Legend got to make. Not coincidentally, licensed games would come to dominate Legend’s output more than ever. In fact, during the entirety of their existence after the Random House deal Legend would release just one more game that wasn’t based on someone else’s preexisting intellectual property.

It was good, then, that they had a special talent for building upon the creativity of others. For they’d be doing a lot more of that sort of thing, sometimes for reasons that perhaps weren’t quite as pure as the honest love for the books in question that had spawned Gateway, Companions of Xanth, and Death Gate. Such was life if you wanted to run with the big boys.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
It's a Legend game. It may not be one of their text games, but finding all the far-fetched ways to get yourself into a Game Over and realizing the writers actually accounted for that is still some of the best fun to be had in the genre.

Of note, while Olafson's review wasn't very positive, the other two (including Scorpia's) were more favourable. The two criticisms that I do level at the game are that the cutesy aspect is really quite jarring, and that Sang-Drax appears too abruptly and doesn't make for a great villain. Both problems are inherited from the books though.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
That honestly sounds like its fun as hell to screw around in, but does it have a bunch of tedious find the pixel puzzles?

WallaceChambers

Learned

ABOUT THIS GAME
When a recent breakup lights Holland’s social media ablaze, she hopes to find some breathing room out in the real world—but as plugged-in as everyone is, it seems impossible that she'll ever get a break. In Land of Screens, guide Holland on her new mission to ditch the social media saturation and discover some real-world relationships by enlisting the help of a few new friends, some synthy chiptune jams, and the inimitable chemistry of small children and adorable animals.
A Point-And-Click Adventure of Internet Escapism
Put on your fanciest mingling cap to conquer harrowingly familiar challenges such as:
  • Navigating an impromptu party where your only choices of company are strangers—or worse: friends you haven’t seen since high school.
  • Meandering through a hotel lobby to force awkward introductions with fellow attendees of a professional conference.
  • Making the best of last-minute concert plans where you’ve never heard of the band, been to the venue, or met any of the people you’re there with.
  • Family. Reunions.
  • Getting your friends excited about doing nature stuff so they can convince other people to start doing nature stuff so you can all spend the day doing nature stuff.
Just Get Everyone to Stop Looking at their Phones… No Problem.
No matter where Holland goes to try and get away, everyone is glued to their screens. She’ll need the help of old friends and new acquaintances—and they’ll need help from her—to dodge the online madness and finally unplug for a while. By diving (or stumbling) into fresh experiences, new relationships, and accidental adventures, Holland might just stand a fighting chance of escaping the ever-present creep of social media drama.
Remember How Nice it is to Talk at People’s Actual Faces?
In a world stuck on digital connections, the only way Holland is going to get through this breakup with her sanity intact is to go analog. Fortunately, she’ll soon learn just how many enticing adventures are out there, away from the continuous social media commentary. Sure, she could obsess over an online thread of opinions about her breakup like everyone normally would, but maybe there’s another way…

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom