Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 3 Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Takamori

Learned
Is this good?

I'm not sure why some devs are so focused on their RPGs being fully voiced. This has always proven to be a detriment for dialogue-heavy games, and adds on untold hours to dev when it could've been spent on other things.

I dunno, maybe I'm a cheap bastard.
Depends on the budget, also like jack above mentioned sadly the broad audience wants fully voiced stuff. How much money Microsoft gave to Wasteland 3 is a damn mystery but given the quality it seems it was a lot.

I'm kinda optimistic, I enjoyed W2 even with its flaws.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
As my last Kickstarter, I really hope it's decent. Despite everything, it would be nice to close that chapter on a high note.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Simple. Broad audience is requesting it. They cba to read lines and lines of text from a couch or something. Why do you think Larian recorded tons of additional VO for already a released game - D:OS?

.... But D:OS was shit. Also broad audience is shit. Maybe I just don't like money.

Depends on the budget, also like jack above mentioned sadly the broad audience wants fully voiced stuff. How much money Microsoft gave to Wasteland 3 is a damn mystery but given the quality it seems it was a lot.

I forgot Microsoft was backing it, that makes more sense. Wasteland 2 wasn't fully voiced, and despite it being ported to console, I don't think there was much of an incentive to target a broader audience.

This probably changed with the third installment. Eh, I'm expecting much less quality when it comes to dialogue then. Full VO puts a ton of restrictions on writing, especially if you need to make changes later on. Will have to see how it turns out.

Takamori

Learned
Simple. Broad audience is requesting it. They cba to read lines and lines of text from a couch or something. Why do you think Larian recorded tons of additional VO for already a released game - D:OS?

.... But D:OS was shit. Also board audience is shit. Maybe I just don't like money.

I forgot Microsoft was backing it, that makes more sense. Wasteland 2 wasn't fully voiced, and despite it being ported to console, I don't think there was much of an incentive to target a broader audience.

This probably changed with the third installment. Eh, I'm expecting much less quality when it comes to dialogue then. Full VO puts a ton of restrictions on writing, especially if you need to make changes later on. Will have to see how it turns out.

I will make sure to report the dialogues decline if it suffered from the VO. As for hating money depends you just love too much your craft , avoiding to make it faceless for the broad audience in artificial ways(Full Vo, Streamers, Not touching in serious subjects and so on). Doesn't mean that your product can't have the luck to be recognized by its merits and get you rich.

jackofshadows

Magister
.... But D:OS was shit. Also broad audience is shit. Maybe I just don't like money.
What you like is irrelevant in this case however seems that Inxile sure do love money, so they're making VO for catering to broader audience. That's not a great sign for sure, but we'll see soon enough.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Got my CrowdOx email (but I already took the code from the site).

Digital Deluxe Edition:

The Wasteland 3 Digital Deluxe edition bolsters your adventure into post-apocalyptic Colorado with digital guides, novellas, art, and the official soundtrack.
  • Wasteland 3 Manual
  • Desert Rangers Wasteland Survival Guide
  • Digital Soundtrack (mp3/16bit 44k/24bit 48k)
  • The Art of wasteland 3
  • Digital Novellas
  • Hi-res Wallpapers

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Wasteland 2 wasn't fully voiced, and despite it being ported to console, I don't think there was much of an incentive to target a broader audience.

Wasteland 2's director's cut added full va, much to the annoyance of many (low quality, obvious change in quality when it comes to Angela Deth's new lines).

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Got my CrowdOx email (but I already took the code from the site).

Digital Deluxe Edition:

The Wasteland 3 Digital Deluxe edition bolsters your adventure into post-apocalyptic Colorado with digital guides, novellas, art, and the official soundtrack.
  • Wasteland 3 Manual
  • Desert Rangers Wasteland Survival Guide
  • Digital Soundtrack (mp3/16bit 44k/24bit 48k)
  • The Art of wasteland 3
  • Digital Novellas
  • Hi-res Wallpapers

DLC of "in-depth lore"? I know what I'm getting Darth Roxor for Polish Independence Day!

Codex Year of the Donut
Is this good?

I'm not sure why some devs are so focused on their RPGs being fully voiced. This has always proven to be a detriment for dialogue-heavy games, and adds on untold hours to dev when it could've been spent on other things.

reading is for faggots

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Anyone played beta of this? It is good game? Also it is rail-roaded or you can explore and take missions out of order?

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2

So the Codex received a copy of Wasteland 3 for review purposes?
If so, who's making the review?
Will there be 3 reviews like Pillars of Eternity had?

PS: Encased will be better game than Wasteland 3.

cb.spike

Educated

Those times when it looked like Farto will have to fondle some codex´s balls after nuTorment are long gone. They no longer need this site since Microsoft will handle mainstream press.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Is this good?

No, I agree. Voice acting really massively hurts these games. I always turn off all voices when playing games like WL2 or others, like pillars of eternity, with no regrets.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2

Those times when it looked like Farto will have to fondle some codex´s balls after nuTorment are long gone. They no longer need this site since Microsoft will handle mainstream press.

are you kidding me?
they didn't even sent a review copy?

after they gave that lengthy interview to Codex in the wake of Numenera launch fiasco where they groveled?

lol. is this for real?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
None of the developers of any of the major crowdfunded RPGs over the past eight years have ever proactively sent us review copies. If we wanted one we could ask for one, but that's generally not been necessary.

Saduj

Arcane
That’s some cast!

A guy who had a non speaking part in a movie 40 years ago mainly because he had a bit of a monkey face as a kid. A comedian nobody cares about anymore’s great granddaughter. And the gal who said that thing!

I hear they narrowly missed out on landing Charo’s pool boy.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
That’s some cast!

A guy who had a non speaking part in a movie 40 years ago mainly because he had a bit of a monkey face as a kid. A comedian nobody cares about anymore’s great granddaughter. And the gal who said that thing.
Yes,the writing in the game will clearly be superior.....if you are 60 year old boomer.

Takamori

Learned
That’s some cast!

A guy who had a non speaking part in a movie 40 years ago mainly because he had a bit of a monkey face as a kid. A comedian nobody cares about anymore’s great granddaughter. And the gal who said that thing!

I hear they narrowly missed out on landing Charo’s pool boy.
Well at least we know they paid pennies for the VAs

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
It’s better that they didn’t opt for ”actual” celebrities.

It’s a pointless expense for any game, big or small.

Ask me, though, they should’ve kept VO’s for ”special” characters only.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom