Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The EVE online thread

a game is fun as long as you're playing it. it's not a bad built tautology, let me explain.
when you do pve and learn how to manage distances and tracking, you're the protagonist. when you move to small groups pvp in low sec you learn even more things and you're still the protagonist of your actions. once you move to 0.0 you're a faceless cog among a thousand more cogs, you're being told what to do and where to go, you stopped being the protagonist, you're somebody else's pawn. and during the years eve moved completely, totally, unilaterally toward 0.0 and gigantic numbers, with even devs scamming their way through the ranks, all that's left is solo pve. i don't want to pay a monthly for a solo pve.
(unless your name is "tabula rasa", but this is another story)

tindrli

Arcane
i don't want to pay anything monthly to just be able to play. fuck it.. one exception is god damn electricity but that is another story

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
How is it possible that best MMO around is not on first page of this subforum!?!

Couple of things:
1. no need to pay monthly to play eve. You can play for free as alpha. Sure your ship selection is bit limited BUT lots of corps take alphas anyway. The content I'm currently doing, Triglavian Invasion, has a fleet that takes pretty much anyone who can fly a cruiser (frigs die too easily to take into this).
2. agree on 0.0, if you join some big alliance you'll be an f1 monkey. That sucks and is boring.
3. I just did fleet command for the first time ever, doing some edencom forward posts. It's awasome, I'm going to learn more of it.
4. PvP in eve is intenese and really cool. there's tons of options, and lots of places where you can fight cheap frigates 1v1. Small gang is also cool, it's only the gigantic fleets that are super boring.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
4. PvP in eve is intenese and really cool. there's tons of options, and lots of places where you can fight cheap frigates 1v1. Small gang is also cool, it's only the gigantic fleets that are super boring.

Small-gang PvP in lowsec is the best gameplay EVE has to offer, but it can be time-consuming to find gudfites. Frigate jousting isn't a real gudfite. The most skill-intensive part of EVE is knowing from experience what each ship hull is capable of, its general role(s), how it can be fit, how it's most often fit in a given context, and how the presumed fitting/doctrine of the target ship/gang match up to the fitting/doctrine of your ship/gang. Frigate jousting doesn't help you learn any of this.

Before you can get to the fun, you need to log on, get on VoIP, see who's around to fly with, engage in the usual bullshitting and small talk, and (hopefully) get organized to go out. The only way around this is to schedule a time to meet up, which can be a pain in and of itself. Time-consuming group dynamics are pretty common in old-school MMOs in general, mind you, and are superior to shit like waiting in queues.

Then you have to actually find targets that are worth going after. Too weak, and they'll dock or warp to a safe, and you likely won't catch them if they know what they're doing; if they don't know what they're doing, it isn't a gudfite anyway. Ganking idiots and scam victims is boring. If you're outclassed, then you'll be the one docking and warping to safe points.

Don't get me wrong: When gudfites do happen, the adrenaline rush and the thrill are second to none in all of online gaming. But man, finding them can be tedious, and after a while I found it just wasn't worth it for me anymore. In fact, I retired shortly before I registered here at the Codex, and had started playing competitive arena shooters instead for the simple reason that you could jump right into the fun.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard

Don't get me wrong: When gudfites do happen, the adrenaline rush and the thrill are second to none in all of online gaming. But man, finding them can be tedious, and after a while I found it just wasn't worth it for me anymore. In fact, I retired shortly before I registered here at the Codex, and had started playing competitive arena shooters instead for the simple reason that you could jump right into the fun.

it's godawful you can literally fly around for 4+ hours and find nothing.
literally you have better chances walking around aimlessly irl finding
pussy
than you do getting a fight in eve
speaking of pussy much of eve playerbase is total pussy and will bail out of any fight they're not 99999999% certain of winning

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
speaking of pussy much of eve playerbase is total pussy and will bail out of any fight they're not 99999999% certain of winning

I think it's written in The Art of War somewhere that that's the correct thing to do... of course, the consequences of losing a battle in real life are a lot more dire.

The law of entropy applies to all things in the universe, from the obvious and fundamental right down to the obscure and esoteric. Planets will crumble to dust; stars turn to embers or go nova; the universe will expend all potential energy (and possibly suck itself up its own butthole and spit itself back out again, if you're an optimist); species will go extinct; human civilizations will fall; towns and cities will be deserted and abandoned; houses will fall to ruin; and even EVE Online must have a beginning, a peak, and an end.

The more the game ages, the more set, entrenched, figured-out, standardized, and tame it becomes, despite all appearances and efforts to the contrary.

Last edited:

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I think it's written in The Art of War somewhere that that's the correct thing to do... of course, the consequences of losing a battle in real life are a lot more dire.

The law of entropy applies to all things in the universe, from the obvious and fundamental right down to the obscure and esoteric. Planets will crumble to dust; stars turn to embers or go nova; the universe will expend all potential energy (and possibly suck itself up its own butthole and spit itself back out again, if you're an optimist); species will go extinct; human civilizations will fall; towns and cities will be deserted and abandoned; houses will fall to ruin; and even EVE Online must have a beginning, a peak, and an end.

The more the game ages, the more set, entrenched, figured-out, standardized, and tame it becomes, despite all appearances and efforts to the contrary.

I remember the players being pussies like this when I played the game 8 years ago, too. I mean, I get not wanting to pick fights you can't win, but you need to be some special type of
fucking batshit
to search for pvp for 4+ hours, find nothing, then log in the next day and do it again.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
to search for pvp for 4+ hours, find nothing, then log in the next day and do it again.

It all depends on personal preferrences.
Some people like to gate-camp for hours, and I always thought it to be boring as hell.

I've tried it all, low-sec pirating, small/large fleets in nullsec, huge-ass allied CTAs, factional warfare, high-sec corp wars, even a wormhole eviction.
And there's nothing better then small-sized (4-6 ships) roaming gangs.

Even when you can't take on a much larger fleet, you are mobile enough to at least try to grab what you can, bite off scouts and tacklers, and then run away.
But even then there were days when after several hours of roaming the kill-board had nothing to show.

eklektyk

Erudite
so i was bored and rolled freeloader ... so far pretty chill and zenish pve expierience

what i should definetly do before i dump this since free acc is full of aids and barrs any fun toys from being used ?

stuck in destroyer using energy turrets since doing anything else would require lotsa isk and time for skills - aside from it being shit trial version disquised as freeplay its okish

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
so i was bored and rolled freeloader ... so far pretty chill and zenish pve expierience

what i should definetly do before i dump this since free acc is full of aids and barrs any fun toys from being used ?

stuck in destroyer using energy turrets since doing anything else would require lotsa isk and time for skills - aside from it being shit trial version disquised as freeplay its okish

Can bait other noobs or fit warpcore stabs and troll noob can-baiters. :)

EVE without pvp is like non-alcoholic beer, you can have it, but what's point?

eklektyk

Erudite
i liked fishing and cotton harvesting in ultima online .... its just me and my weird taste ... pvp is ok but it can get you only so far ....

Last edited:

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
i liked fishing and cotton harvesting in ultima online .... its just me and my weird taste ... pvp is ok but it can get you only so far ....
Sadly are are banned from pretty much all the fun stuff on alpha accounts. The old trial account system was much better IMO. Especially for PVE.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
eklektyk the triglavian content is really fun way to do pve now. it won't bring you much isk, but the community is great. Join The Triglavian Community in game channel. The swarm fleet has alpha friendly fleets, with fits posted. Even have dedicated frigate/destroyer doctrine for lowsec. Super easy to get into. I *very occasionally* FC swarm, as I mostly fly logi with zeta.
On the other hand, if you are into ganking, we do have Kappa Fleet - you need around 1m sp for all the skills, you get a catalyst and then kill Edencom high-value targets. FCs are good, logistics are handled for you 100%.

eklektyk

Erudite
looked ship fittings some more ... will fiddle with that further - as always will require time for skills but for now dont have anything better to play anyway

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
PvE is an abomination and you should never do it, unless it specifically involves PvP or is in some way parallel to PvP mechanics. Wormholes (shortly after Apocrypha's release, anyway; not sure how they are now) are a fairly good example of this.

The highest form of PvP (and therefore gameplay) that EVE has to offer is tootling around in lowsec with a gang. The lowest form of PvP is probably nullsec blocs, and I'm not even trying to be an asshole in so saying. Nullsec-dwelling is just particularly lucrative PvE but with sentries and very occasional, unenjoyable huge battles. Bloc ganking does occur, but for my money, it's not very entertaining for anyone involved unless a very high-value target is caught being piloted by an idiot and then destroyed.

Nullsec blocs only become entertaining when two huge blocs struggle with each other in an interesting and unique fashion, such as World War Bee. Even then, the entertainment is mostly enjoyed by observers rather than the actual participants.

Yup, just couple of days one of my friends in TEST said they were just finishing grinding a super important Keepstar - 10th or so in a row. To those unfamiliar with EVE, keepstars are big stations, shitton of HP. To kill it, line members go to the system, and press f1 to shoot their guns. Then wait couple hours, while seeing the system grind to a crawl with time dilation (something that takes 1s suddenly takes 10, a measure for lag compensation). If they are lucky, they are anchored on FC, so at least move a bit. If they are in a dread, they just sit still. Fucking boring, bit less if you are an FC involved on the strategic level.

After Triglavian Invasion content is done I hope to hang out with some nice low-sec piraty dudes I met during this. They have shown me how much of a carebear I was and how much better I can be at this game.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Yup, just couple of days one of my friends in TEST said they were just finishing grinding a super important Keepstar - 10th or so in a row. To those unfamiliar with EVE, keepstars are big stations, shitton of HP. To kill it, line members go to the system, and press f1 to shoot their guns. Then wait couple hours, while seeing the system grind to a crawl with time dilation (something that takes 1s suddenly takes 10, a measure for lag compensation). If they are lucky, they are anchored on FC, so at least move a bit. If they are in a dread, they just sit still. Fucking boring, bit less if you are an FC involved on the strategic level.

Keepstars didn't exist when I played EVE, which was from 2006-2012. I started playing shortly after Revelations released.

Revelations had the best expansion theme ever. It's the music I associate most strongly with EVE to this day.

After Triglavian Invasion content is done I hope to hang out with some nice low-sec piraty dudes I met during this. They have shown me how much of a carebear I was and how much better I can be at this game.

Piracy is where you first learn to be free. I found an in to a small but capable pirate corp via the Scrapheap Challenge forums in 2006, and never looked back.

I started playing around Revelations as well. Fully agree on the theme being really awesome. This and Below The Asteroids is EVE

Mordru

Educated
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Have any of you checked out Eve Echoes, the mobile port? Bluestacks works really well for emulation. We have a super organized industrial corp in the Amarr region. Spreadsheets in space at its finest!

Mordru

Educated
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I can't even imagine playing eve on a phone lmao

I have a toon that runs on bluestacks on my PC and another on my ipad. The ipad plays it awesomely for my combat toon. I've always wanted to play EVE but didnt want to join an established universe. Echoes starts fresh.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Have any of you checked out Eve Echoes, the mobile port? Bluestacks works really well for emulation. We have a super organized industrial corp in the Amarr region. Spreadsheets in space at its finest!

Absolutely everything about this post is repugnant to me.

It's not a "port," by the way, because the ship and outfit statistics, underlying mechanics, and controls are absurdly simplified compared to the actual game, as a quick search engine query readily proves. It's a completely different game that simply borrows and reuses broad concepts and art assets from the original.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom