Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic play Gothic 1 first or go straight to 2?

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
On a PB kick. I finally got gothic 2 running with minimal stutters. But the amount of callbacks to previous events and characters makes me think i should play through G1 first

worth it or skip G1?

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Well the penal colony in 1 is at least an original premise
Yes, a medieval fantasy RPG with the protagonist starting out as a prisoner for some unspecified crime is extremely original.

Penal colony in which you spend a whole game is quite different from a prison that merely serves as a first dungeon... or a character creation system.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Yes, a medieval fantasy RPG with the protagonist starting out as a prisoner for some unspecified crime is extremely original.

These RPGs let you go in the first 5 minutes RPG and you are free to explore your standard fantasy cities, pretty much like Gothic 2. In Gothic 1 the entirety of the game takes place in a penal colony. As far as I know the only other game that does it is an obscure Russian Fallout clone.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

These RPGs let you go in the first 5 minutes RPG and you are free to explore your standard fantasy cities, pretty much like Gothic 2. In Gothic 1 the entirety of the game takes place in a penal colony. As far as I know the only other game that does it is an obscure Russian Fallout clone.

You forgot Bastard Bonds!

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Play G1. Then mod G1 and re play G1. Then Play G2. then re play G2 with overall mods like returning. Then pÄşay G3 and never touch the abomination which G4 - ArcaniA is.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Stick with Gothic 2. Gothic 1 is pretty clunky.

Why? I foudn the controls very intuitive. Actually, you can play G1 with no mouse and I an playing G2 - returning 2.0 as a water magician using G1 controls.

Wait for the remastered editions.

Wrong. The G1 remake is pure trash. Dialog wheels, destruction of the trade exchange zone with no consequence cuz "hur dur cool explosion", retarded low lethality combat, they are doing everything that they can to make gothic another generic UNimmersive boring game.

Konjad

⛏
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Gothic has much more interesting story than Gothic 2. Trying to free yourself from a prison is at least more interesting than SLAYING DRAGONS TO SAVE THE WORLD in my opinion.

Gothic has also more gloomy atmosphere, which really fits it well. G2 feels a bit more happy-trippy fantasy adventure.

Gameplaywise both are practically the same.

Story is interrelated. In G2 you meet a lot of people from G1 and you are supposed to know them.

If you have any issues running Gothic, then I wrote a guide:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2201586820

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Trying to free yourself from a prison is at least more interesting than SLAYING DRAGONS TO SAVE THE WORLD in my opinion.

I strongly agree. Also, Gothic has better factions IMO. You get 3 camps with complete distinct ideology and mindset. You have Gomez ruling Old Camp with iron first, you haveb the crazy weed addicted templars/gurus and the water mages/mercs on new camp, some guys wanting to maintain the status status quo, some trying crazy escape plans, IMO skipping G1 is a big mistake.

Not mentioning. Re visiting the valley of mines is more interesting than just visiting the valley...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom