Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic play Gothic 1 first or go straight to 2?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Is there any reason whatsoever not to play both?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I played G1 after finishing G2NOTR, and I had a blast. It's not as big as G2, but indeed that helps with the pace.

After a bit of remapping, I brought the controls to a comfortable setting.

Nowadays, there have been patches and tools that improve the game engine overall and also the controls.

Gothic One Click Action
https://forum.worldofplayers.de/for...ick-Action?p=25357067&viewfull=1#post25357067

Gothic ½ — SystemPack
https://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/threads/1340357-Release-Gothic-½-—-SystemPack-(ENG-DEU)

JDR13

Arcane
I'd suggest to play G1 first. It's a great game and the control issues won't bother you for long. The whole atmosphere of the prisoner colony is very unique and while the main story itself is rather standard, the world design is perfect. Additionally it's the only game of PB where it's actually realistic and logically explained why there are so few women and no children at all.

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
In the first Gothic, you get to know the whole gang of bros: Diego, Milten, Lee,Lares,Gorn,Lester,etc.. And your mentor Xardas.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
On a PB kick. I finally got gothic 2 running with minimal stutters. But the amount of callbacks to previous events and characters makes me think i should play through G1 first

worth it or skip G1?

Go straight to Arcania, the only Gothic worth playing.

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
Play G1. Then mod G1 and re play G1. Then Play G2. then re play G2 with overall mods like returning.
For the love of everything that's holy: DO NOT TOUCH THE RETURNING.

Also, I will give mention to History of Khornis and Chronicles of Myrtana, two upcoming mods for G2 that don't seem to be getting nearly enough as much attention as they deserve here on 'dex. Definetely worth a look once you played through G1 and G2 and decided you want more.

retinoid

Savant
Definitely play 1. G2 isn't a replacement for it despite them both playing virtually the same, in fact G1 has some aspects which are still unmatched by other PB games to this very day, such as atmosphere, balancing, and speed of progression. They are similar but distinct experiences.

krilcebre

Learned
Play G2 without the expansion if you've never played it before
Why is that? Does it make the game harder?

Hell no, vanilla G2 was pretty easy, NotR made it a lot harder, and i mean A LOT.

Anyway, start with G1, no reason not to, G2 NotR won't go anywhere. Plus G1 isn't really a big game, so you will be able to complete it in 25h+, and then you can jump into NotR, which is much bigger, and will probably require 80h+ to complete. Skip the vanilla G2, NotR brings a lot more of familiar faces from the Colony, more quests, a whole new region, and so on.

Zerth

Arbiter
I haven't played vanilla Gothic II, after beating G1, I jumped onto G2 NOTR straightaway.

NOTR is pretty tough in general but reaching lategame is something else, considering I went full STR dragonSlayer, scraped XP out of everything, brew STR elixirs for the berserker Axe and ditched the Beliar claw. Still couldn't beat the last boss without a summon scroll. Naive of me to think I could've been able to steamroll everything as on G1.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Go straight to Arcania, the only Gothic worth playing.

A Bethesdard who loves D3 enjoys arcania. Is everything that you need to know...

PS : Arcania Sucks by the same reason that D3 sucks. Carnavalesque armor + a lot of ludonarrative dissonance.

For the love of everything that's holy: DO NOT TOUCH THE RETURNING.

By the love of Adanos, why this hate towards returning? I mean, Mount & Blade has naruto and star wars mods. But someone makes a mod which makes dragons a dangerous enemies, allow the PC to become a water mage or a Xardas apprentice and ... "they are killing gothic"

Silly Germans

I also recommend Gothic 1 first. I've just finished Gothic 1 and started Gothic 2 last week, having a fresh memory of the first part helps quite a bit with knowing who is who. The controls are pretty much alike. The main difference is combat. Strength is more important in Gothic 1 than your weapons skill, since criticral hits aren't as important as in Gothic 2. I think in Gothic 1 you do something around double damage with a crit while Gothic 2 gives you something like 10 times the damage. Your clunky attack animation gets improved when you level up your weapon skill in Gothic 1. You don't raise the crit percentage with every point as in Gothic 2.

Skdursh

Savant
As far as Gothic 2 goes, if you installed it "correctly" (meaning with all the proper community mods/patches) you shouldn't be having any stuttering issues or anything else of the sort. If you're too lazy to do it yourself get the Spine mod manager and have it do everything for you.

But yeah, Gothic 1 is an incredible game and despite its odd controls it's definitely worth playing. There are even mods to "fix" the controls if you can't be bothered to learn them although they do feel quite natural once you get the hang of it.

Falksi

Arcane
I'd definitely try Gothic 1 first, but if you're finding it shit don't be afraid of dropping it for Gothic 2.

I liked it, but it was just so buggy & annoying to run, that I ragged in around halfway through and jumped on board Gothic 2.

Risen 2 is where it's really at for PB games though.

Don't be a cretin. G1 first of course.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom