Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&D 5E Discussion

deuxhero

Arcane
For Hellboy, I don't know why they don't use Mutants and Masterminds. It's already made for superheroes, under OGL, easy to play (building characters is a bit tricky though), and has official DC stuff for all the crossover stuff a GM wants to do (or just use as examples for superpowered characters).

(As an aside, the fact that 5e seems unable to provide rangers and sorcerers with a strong mechanical niche probably would mean if we are removing the above classes, those two could also go not for inclusionary purposes but for mechanical redundancy.)

Really, all they needed to do for Sorcerer was make it a power point system while Wizard was Vancian.

mastroego

Arcane
So guys, I was considering.

I really, really miss my PnP days, I would like to sort of test the waters and see if it's possible for me to re-enter the scene somehow.
I did try for a while with Roll20 but it didn't work out very well and we stopped after a while.
To be fair, it was a half-assed attempt on my part (no camera, no microphone, only text and so on). Also, too much age difference I guess.

Suppose I get motivated to do better this time.
How is the scene nowadays?
Is 5e a good edition for an old fart who would LIKE to spend time on things like builds, but won't be able to do it ever again? Who, at his current age, could see the merits of a simple system, and a somewhat detached approach with the goal of having fun with like-minded people?
Is there a chance to find people like that on the net, and I also mean reasonably functional human beings, or should I abandon all hope about online play?

Yeah, I know about 5e and SJWism corruption, but I might be able to look past that (if other conditions are met, shall we say?)

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Have you thought about trying to find other oldfags to play with if you're worried about age difference? I don't know the first thing about playing online with strangers but I do know there are plenty of other old-timers around. I see them all the time on Facebook. You didn't mention which games you used to play but chances are they are still around and being played either in their original editions or in the form of clones or recreations, such as OSRIC and Old-School Essentials. Of the non-D&D old games, at least RuneQuest, CoC and Traveller are also still around.

Re: 5e, I suppose it can be ok. I personally don't like it, but if you manage to find a good DM and some people you enjoy spending time with, who cares if the system isn't perfect. You can always houserule shit. And it does have some build variety built into it so you can customize your character by choosing from a couple of different options every now and then. Nothing too complex or time-consuming but enough to keep e.g. two fighters from always being mechanically interchangeable.

(This message became a bit more unfocused than I intended, sorry. Hope you got at least something out of it.)

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

I really, really miss my PnP days, I would like to sort of test the waters and see if it's possible for me to re-enter the scene somehow.
I did try for a while with Roll20 but it didn't work out very well and we stopped after a while.
To be fair, it was a half-assed attempt on my part (no camera, no microphone, only text and so on). Also, too much age difference I guess.

Is 5e a good edition for an old fart who would LIKE to spend time on things like builds, but won't be able to do it ever again? Who, at his current age, could see the merits of a simple system, and a somewhat detached approach with the goal of having fun with like-minded people?
Is there a chance to find people like that on the net, and I also mean reasonably functional human beings, or should I abandon all hope about online play?

Yeah, I know about 5e and SJWism corruption, but I might be able to look past that (if other conditions are met, shall we say?)

Has been a while since I interacted with the online scene. Some general observations, all from roll20.

50% of DMs are straight trash. People without a damn clue, way too big groups, people with a lisp so strong you literally can't understand what they are saying etc, etc.
It's generally harder to get into the good games, than to get into the bad games. Those games which went longer were usually those where I had to write longer applications about preferred gameplay stile and hand in my character beforehand.
Being a DM is a very favourable position for finding a game. It's probably more work than you are willing to spend but It flips things on it's head and makes finding online games super easy. You could probably even get a text only game rolling if you are willing to DM.
Cameras are very rare if not nonexistential. Microphone is an absolute must. I was only in a single text based pen&paper game ever, and it didn't run extremely long. Was fun tho.
Its a long process. From checking out games and writing applications to having a good group was a month I think.
As for 5e, the edition is super rules light. It has more than enough depth, but if you just choose a class at random and only ever take levels in that class without any fancy feats or tricks you will be at 80% power of an optimised character. As such an easy entry drug rules system it attracts a lot of people who are searching for a super rules light experience aswell. Coming across as a powergamer makes it much harder to find a group, and a lot of DMs ban multiclassing outright.
The few games which cater specifically to powergamers aren't usually very good. Its just floods of combat interrupted by occasionall lore dumps. Rather boring imo.
As it is with the internet in general you will find a good deal of people who are just very odd. Lowkey retarded or constantly drunk. Just being old shouldn't be too much of a dealbreaker if you are otherwise an alright lad.

Edit: Also stay the HELL away from offical adventurers league play. Super retarded rules and the most ruleslawjery sharks I have ever seen in my life. Zero creativity in thos people.

Bara

Arcane
It's been fairly easy so far to find the right tables on roll20 as usually they lay it out flat in the posting description.

Though I'm not currently in a 5e game as I've gone to OSR while I make my own.

Just looking for the right group on there may time some time as 5e is the entry point for this generation so everyone's playing it.

However like Morblot suggested I'd recommend searching for "Original D&D" and Old School Essentials on roll20 its so far been great to find groups playing those.

There are also "Inn/Tavern" groups that you can join that people occasionally post in looking for places for 2e games and older on roll20.

Finally looking for groups outside roll20 Facebooks good for finding folks from the older generations. There's also r/ lfg thats for all ttrpgs and finally r/ osr created a thread that refreshs weekly to advertise for groups.

Morblot

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
There's also r/ lfg thats for all ttrpgs and finally r/ osr created a thread that refreshs weekly to advertise for groups.
For us Europeans willing to tread the filthy waters of Reddit, there's also https://www.reddit.com/r/LFG_Europe

If you're on Facebook & interested in the older D&D editions, look for a group called Old School TSR Gamers. The official OSE group is also surprisingly great.

J1M

Arcane
Put your effort into finding a suitable group that can meet in person. Use boomerbook or whatever and ask at your local store if any groups are looking for members.

Learn how to DM if you have to.

mastroego

Arcane
Thanks for the answers, folks.

I'll add a few more details. We used to play Advanced D&D and occasionally other stuff.
Unfortunately my old gang has scattered even though I'm still in contact with about half of them. We did regroup a couple of times with a very gifted DM who let us play some Powered by the Apocalypse games.
It's not really my cup of tea but it was fun and I *do* get why "serious players" consider powergamers, or those who get finicky with the rules, a sort of immature children. It's how I see my old "gaming self" after all, looking back.

Yet the flavor and the familiarity of D&D is what I'm after. I would certainly prefer a more creative (and wiser) approach to the role playing session... which might be a problem if you go for a game where power-gamers abound.
Perhaps I secretly imagine that other old-farts must have wisened-up as I did to a degree, but the rational me knows that this is fabulously optimistic.

DMing unfortunately isn't even a conceivable option. It'll be a miracle if I manage to go somewhere with this resolution, find a group and all.
The kind of time and dedication required for the DM job are simpy of a kind I don't have access to at this time...

Last edited:

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath

I have never played online, but I managed to "play again" 20 years later around a table and I can recommend you to do the same. Personally I'd only resort to Roll20 or the like if I had no other option, nothing replaces the real thing.

Regarding systems, I already explained my position pages back. Short version: 5e makes it easier than 3.5e and fixes some of its madness, but also introduces new problems, which in my case become more and more visible as a party reaches mid-level. It might still be the best choice for a lone adventure in which some of the players are newbies, but if I had to plan a long campaign with a focus in mechanics and tactics (as opposed to roleplaying), I'd never pick it.

Morblot

Patron
One more thing I want to say, mastroego: if you do end up selecting 5e, don't buy the Starter Set. It's shit, fucking thing doesn't even have rules for character creation. Get the newer Essentials Kit or the Players Handbook instead; the former has dice, some readymade adventures and all sorts of cool shit in a nice box, while the latter is better if you just want to play and are certain you'll never ever DM.

Gyor

Savant
Druid: Very culturally specific and doesn't have any connection to shapechanging nature-priests in game. In addition, it refers to a living religion (as part of the neopagan/Wiccan tradition).
In addition, it refers to a living religion
lol no, it doesn't.

I absolutely agree with you, Wicca does not equal Druids, but pretty much all of the post I qouted was dopey woke bullshit.

Gyor

Savant

If you have difficulty finding the right group DMGUILD has solo adventurers and guide for playing with yourself until you find a group you mesh with.

Mortmal

Arcane

I have never played online, but I managed to "play again" 20 years later around a table and I can recommend you to do the same. Personally I'd only resort to Roll20 or the like if I had no other option, nothing replaces the real thing.

Regarding systems, I already explained my position pages back. Short version: 5e makes it easier than 3.5e and fixes some of its madness, but also introduces new problems, which in my case become more and more visible as a party reaches mid-level. It might still be the best choice for a lone adventure in which some of the players are newbies, but if I had to plan a long campaign with a focus in mechanics and tactics (as opposed to roleplaying), I'd never pick it.

You dont know what you are missing. There's huge advantage to the online part, you dont have to build a 3D diorama with figurines, you dont have to manually write every npc sheets, they dont have to draw maps either , your maps have fog of war you slowly unveil .Forget roll20 its shit . There's an inbuilt compendium in FG2 with all the stats, a combat tracker that auto calculate hit and miss, and keep tracks of every conditions,it even throw concentration checks . It's a must now, who never forgot a concentration check? A round of regen ? Whats that spell DC ? There's far too many thing to keep track of for an human being when designing large scale d&d encounters .You can design completely epic battles with depth and tactics the like never seen on a real tabletop .The only thing i completely agree is the lethality , 5e is non lethal unless you go berserk like pierre begue and give them 10X deadly cr , dont do that, they wont come back.
The biggest drawback is finding a good, dedicated, group, the rpg online community is the lowest scum possible, one layer of hell below the codex even.Damn that was hard but i managed once a week at least , if i could i'd do more . You have to become extremely elitist, you miss more than once you are out, only valid reason to miss is seeing a relative in hospital and the like.

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In
Is not only because Strahd is no longer lv 16 necromancer and is now a lv 9 caster. Is because they killed all sense of dread on that module and seems that Ravenloft is now ONLY BAROVIA!!! No longer dozens of realms of dread with dozens of dark powers. And you can do evil things and use nasty necromantic spells with no consequence. 2e made this spells soo strong, that even the caster can suffer...

Well, in the original 1983 module, he is just that, a "10th level magic user". Considering that the adventure was for levels 5-7, that's plenty enough. My guess is that they wanted to get back to the roots exactly to re-produce more splats if it proves popular enough. Also, the wiki plainly states "Curse of Strahd,[2] an adaptation of the original Ravenloft module for the 5th edition of Dungeons & Dragons".
upload_2020-8-18_20-8-14.png

Bara

Arcane
Just to keep this stuff in one thread here's base details on the new players option's book.

• EXPANDED SUBCLASSES. Try out subclass options for every Dungeons & Dragons class, including the artificer, which appears in the book.
  • MORE CHARACTER OPTIONS. Delve into a collection of new class features and new feats, and customize your character’s origin using straightforward rules for modifying a character’s racial traits.
  • INTRODUCING GROUP PATRONS. Whether you're part of the same criminal syndicate or working for an ancient dragon, each group patron option comes with its own perks and types of assignments.
  • SPELLS, ARTIFACTS & MAGIC TATTOOS. Discover more spells, as well as magic tattoos, artifacts, and other magic items for your campaign.
  • EXPANDED RULES OPTIONS. Try out rules for sidekicks, supernatural environments, natural hazards, and parleying with monsters, and gain guidance on running a session zero.
  • A PLETHORA OF PUZZLES. Ready to be dropped into any D&D adventure, puzzles of varied difficulty await your adventurers, complete with traps and guidance on using the puzzles in a campaign.

Also the 5e hellboy kickstarter apparently launched like 15 days ago. Currently is sitting at $270k which I guess is just from die hard fans as I didn't find anything really engaging or special about the free rules pdf they gave.

They're also selling a dice set for $16 bucks with the worst D20 I've seen in a long while.

Bara

Arcane
Well this should be interesting. Apparently the people that run EN world have started up a "major project" called Level Up which they're billing as the advanced version of 5e.

They have a meet the team page up and its about what you'd expect.

If regular 5e isn't left enough for you this probably will be.

But to judge on actual skill has any one ever read any of these folks stuff? Other than Kobold press I haven't really gone through much 3rd party 5e content.

And as an aside I got to say just like 3e the ecosystem for ttrpgs is getting really bloated up now with 5e products trying to cash in on the OGL.

Still view it as a net positive though since it helped pave the way to retro clones.

Morblot

Patron
"A crunchier, more flexible version of the 5E ruleset" made by a really big bunch of wymynz, soyboys and pronoun people?

:d1p:

Bara

Arcane
Whatever they make is probably going to sell from the amount of people who buy ttrpg books but never play em & their own forum community.

The only thing I'm surprised about is that from looking more into it their forums are evenly split on the far ends of wanting alignment gone and keeping it.

Surprised not everyone there is just against it.

Bara

Arcane
Okay for better or for worse looks like Planescape's back on the menu boys

NEVERMIND

Bara

Arcane
More MTG splat books? Just a cross promotion? Find out tomorrow.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom