Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CRPGAddict

newtmonkey

Arcane
But Codex top 101 is rigged because X calls for his twitter retarded acquaintances to vote massively and infuse their disgusting taste in our midst.
Not that we don't have a consoletards crowd of our own.

Some people just shouldn't have the right to vote, you should pass an IQ test first.

Codex top 101 is rigged because, even if we discount all the posters who are here only to shitpost and be edgy in General Discussion and the strange handful of posters who seemingly have never played a computer RPG and just talk about Nintendo and Sega all the time, what's left of the membership is hyper focused on a handful of developers that were active from 1997 to 2001.

As for RPGAddict's scoring system, I agree that it is retarded in that it is so closely tailored to his "perfect RPG" that all it ends up doing is rating games on how close they are to Baldur's Gate. I mean, he might as well as have three scores, "Baldur's Gate/10", "Sorta like Baldur's Gate/10", and "Nothing like Baldur's Gate/10". But his scores are not meant to be taken as indicating how good a game might be. For instance, he enjoyed Dungeon Master quite a lot but it ended up rating somewhat low because he wants games to have plenty of equipment upgrades throughout the game, NPC interaction, and side quests. It's similar to how many people here are obsessed with choices & consequences and factions above all else.

Last edited:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
you are welcome to go to IGN and read about the newest Dark Souls clone or whatever is hot right now

But I've already said that there is no value in reading garbage.

And you covet garbage, make up your mind

Hey, I'm not the guy recommending IGN to people.

You're dismissing 80ies dungeon crawlers like an IGN person would do, they are clearly your crowd

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
you are welcome to go to IGN and read about the newest Dark Souls clone or whatever is hot right now

But I've already said that there is no value in reading garbage.

And you covet garbage, make up your mind

Hey, I'm not the guy recommending IGN to people.

You're dismissing 80ies dungeon crawlers like an IGN person would do, they are clearly your crowd

I was dismissing shitty dungeon crawlers, not all of them. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
I mean look at this thread. We've talked more about the point of playing all these garbage knockoffs than people actually talked about all of them combined. Nobody even mentioned the poor House of Usher or Fracas. If there's anything to learn from them shouldn't they also be worth some discussion.
GIMLET itself is more worthwhile than all of these games since at least it provides some sort of genuine entertainment to people.

Last edited:

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Teacher? As much as I might hate his political views and his, as someone said, aseptic writing style, the man is a goddamn professor for English Literature. Which, sure, is 'technically' a teacher, but it sure sounds misleading.

Well, unless I misremember.
Pretty sure he's some kind of engineer, since he used to travel to various foreign countries, non-English speaking countries. You don't have that busy a schedule if you're in some kind of liberal arts profession, especially one who wasn't yet a professor.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
But he wrote several times that he's a professor for English Literature and his traveling job was as a consultant?

Like, he wrote this in the blog. Why are you speculating? He specifically wrote that a university offered him a teaching post, that he has his PhD in English Literature with a focus on Arthurian legends and that, before he got the offer to work at the university, he was some kind of business consultant. Hence the gimlet, which he liked drinking in hotel lobbies.

I just don't like misinformation.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
But he wrote several times that he's a professor for English Literature and his traveling job was as a consultant?

Like, he wrote this in the blog. Why are you speculating? He specifically wrote that a university offered him a teaching post, that he has his PhD in English Literature with a focus on Arthurian legends and that, before he got the offer to work at the university, he was some kind of business consultant. Hence the gimlet, which he liked drinking in hotel lobbies.

I just don't like misinformation.
Checking the post he made on Spirit of Excalibur, he does say he studied Arthurian Literature in college. I can see your assumption as reasonable though, but that's not necessarily proof his PhD is in English Literature. Its possibly just something he did to fill out his course credits, something he enjoyed, but still. I don't recall him saying anything about having it in English Lit and most of his references are not to things beyond a high school level. Plus that doesn't really explain why someone with a PhD in English Literature would be doing as a consultant in Kiev, Spain and wherever else he's been. He's definitely mentioned that his consultancy is related to his degree, somewhere. No that seems more the domain of an engineering consultant. No reason to bring in some American who can barely speak the language if it isn't something really important.

Last edited by a moderator:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
But Codex top 101 is rigged because X calls for his twitter retarded acquaintances to vote massively and infuse their disgusting taste in our midst.
Stop being such a back-talking, butthurt bitch, we already had this talk and you know you are wrong. When we did the Codex members-only vote in 2015 the old fags voted for Witcher 3 over Underrail. And that's great, shows most people here aren't idiots like you, desperate to prove how old-school and superior they think they are.

Duralux for Durabux

Stop being such a back-talking, butthurt bitch, we already had this talk and you know you are wrong. When we did the Codex members-only vote in 2015 the old fags voted for Witcher 3 over Underrail. And that's great, shows most people here aren't idiots like you, desperate to prove how old-school and superior they think they are.
You must admit that if you have played it,Felipe, you would have admitted that Witcher 3 is largery overrated, sure it deserves to be in the Top but absolutly not in the 15th place and I'm not trying to be old-school, Jagged Alliance 2 for exemple is largely superior. Witcher 3 is filled with ubisoft design (Which should be a warning disqualifying point)and no one look on this. Think about how overrated this game is on the mainstream media, the same media you guys usually shit on. Therefore you have to understand,Witcher 3 is the most mass-appealing RPG,not because it's the best (if it was the case many other RPGs would have an influence other than on Codex) but because it checks every points to be mainstream.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
It deserves to be in the Top but absolutly not in the 15th place and I'm not trying to be old-school, Jagged Alliance 2 for exemple is largely superior.
Superior at what? This kind of talk is extremely biased, you are assuming people play games for the same reason as you.

Anywhere outside the Codex people will say you are insane for listing broken, unfinished games like Arcanum or Bloodlines above an extremely popular, gorgeous and polished game like Witcher 3. Unless you are 12 years old (biologically or mentally), you should know that it happens not because we are superior beings of higher intellect, but because those games offer something that the Codex values more than, like deep role-playing options & systems, choice & consequence, etc.

That's how you should look at lists, knowing who made them and who they are for. Diablo II is an amazing game that everyone here probably played for hundreds of hours, but it scores very low in the list because it's not what people here look for in RPGs. Meanwhile, mainstream media will rank Witcher 3 at #1 - and they are right at doing so, because it they are writing for Call of Duty fans, and that's a great RPG for them. Do you really think they should say that the best RPG for them is Jagged Alliance 2?

Duralux for Durabux

Superior at what? This kind of talk is extremely biased, you are assuming people play games for the same reason as you.

Anywhere outside the Codex people will say you are insane for listing broken, unfinished games like Arcanum or Bloodlines above an extremely popular, gorgeous and polished game like Witcher 3. Unless you are 12 years old (biologically or mentally), you should know that it happens not because we are superior beings of higher intellect, but because those games offer something that the Codex values more than, like deep role-playing options & systems, choice & consequence, etc.

That's how you should look at lists, knowing who made them and who they are for. Diablo II is an amazing game that everyone here probably played for hundreds of hours, but it scores very low in the list because it's not what people here look for in RPGs. Meanwhile, mainstream media will rank Witcher 3 at #1 - and they are right at doing so, because it they are writing for Call of Duty fans, and that's a great RPG for them. Do you really think they should say that the best RPG for them is Jagged Alliance 2?
Think about Video games like music , Mainstream love modern musics mainly rap,Electro, etc...
Good modern musics exist as well and hopefully so but
Do you think those musics would be in a Top music ?
I don't think so, when I think of good musics,I primarelly think of the good symphonies of Beethoven, of Mozard, of Richard Wagner over than DJ Snake. Because Them(Wagner,Beethoven, Bach, Tchaïkovski,etc...) instead of DJ snake,etc... made those pieces with incommensurable ammount of work and with absolute passion and creativity in their music. Modern musics can't even reach 1 inch of what they did. Do you think many people heard Beethoven, Mozard ,etc...? No just a little intellectual clique but they are those who make the difference.
Sure, not many people know Vampire,Arcanum, but who cares? People who experienced those 2 games know they played something far from other games and they know it.
Jagged Alliance 2 is largely better due to its ability of being innovative and good in everything whereas Witcher 3 fails in gameplay,in pacing, in open-World design, in quest variability.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Do you think those musics would be in a Top music ?
Top Music for what? For when? For whom? Do you go dancing at a night club to Mozart? Do you think Doom's soundtrack should be Beethoven? That dates are more romantic with Holst? That children's birthday parties should all play Bach?

FFS, you cannot rate every single art piece on a singular scale that goes from 0 to 100. Jagged Alliance 2 is great at a lot of things, but Witcher 3 is better-looking, more accessible and runs on a console. That already makes it a "better" game for most people out there.

People want, need and like different things. Ignoring that is ignoring reality. You're not being an intelectual, you're being a self-centered idiot.

Darth Canoli

Arcane

So, according to you, who the codex is writing for ?
Consoletards?

Do you go dancing at a night club to Mozart? Do you think Doom's soundtrack should be Beethoven?

Depending on the game sequence, i think Prokofiev or Brahms would do wonders.
Do you think it's a coincidence so many games rip-off classical/baroque tracks ?
Even most retarded devs know they can fool the dumb masses with the next gen 3D graphics but they can't shit better music than the classics.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Meanwhile, mainstream media will rank Witcher 3 at #1 - and they are right at doing so, because it they are writing for Call of Duty fans, and that's a great RPG for them. Do you really think they should say that the best RPG for them is Jagged Alliance 2?
Yes, because the media has a duty to educate, not cater to the lowest common denominator.
Yeah, and I think they've done a decent job recently, you can find good lists with Witcher 3, Ultima VII, Fallout 1/2 and Arcanum - like this one: https://www.pcgamer.com/best-rpgs-of-all-time/ or this one: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/01/30/best-rpgs-2020/

But, just like our list, it shows what they value more. You can clearly see that they enjoy Diablo clones and JRPGs much more than the Codex. And the mainstream appeal made Witcher 3 rank much higher.

So, according to you, who the codex is writing for ?
Consoletards?
Codexers? This is not hard if your high IQ brain can handle more complex categorization than A OR B, GOOD OR BAD.

And FFS, understand once and for all that "better" is subjective. Want to say that Wagner is an extremely influential artist, whose legacy still lives on centuries years later? Cool, we can all agree on that. But "classic music is better than this modern crap on the radio" is the laziest & most juvenile shit you can say about music. It's the equivalent of a teen who just found out about Iron Maiden and keep saying it's the best band ever - you are just being 100x more pretentious.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Meanwhile, mainstream media will rank Witcher 3 at #1 - and they are right at doing so, because it they are writing for Call of Duty fans, and that's a great RPG for them. Do you really think they should say that the best RPG for them is Jagged Alliance 2?
Yes, because the media has a duty to educate, not cater to the lowest common denominator.
This. What is a point of telling people who beat Fallout 1 a dozen times that Fallout 1 is a great game. Tell it to people who would have never thought about trying it.
That's why I think that Sseth despite all his shortcomings is doing God's work. He's showing his audience that most likely never played Wizardry 8 why it's awesome in a way that they can feel his excitement.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom