Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
WTF is the deal with that Arasaka SMG? How do you even hold it? And how is the magazine tilted that way, rather than the other way, is the ammo fatter in the front than the back? IT MAKES NO SENSE
KVHhlj6-QzA.jpg

Yes, I'm taking this seriously now.

- Tilted magazine makes no sense whatsoever. It's straight, without a curve, so bolt has to pick rounds from an angled surface? Not gonna work.
- Barrel length is amazing. Some pistols have longer barrels than this. If this huge disk on the non-supressed model is actually a threaded nut which you unscrew with the barrel and screw a suppressor instead, then the suppressed version has no barrel whatsoever! Shooting straight from the chamber.
- I see no place for gas operation, so it's either straight blowback or delayed blowback akin to MP5.
- Bolt handle looks like one from G36, but too far back. This means it has some long ass lever to connect handle and bolt. Unpractical and unnecessary.
- Trigger group should be a compact one, or it will interfere with the recoil spring
- I made an assumption about this thing having recoil buffer, and still, it has too much unused space in the back.
- Buttstock looks atrocious. RIP user shoulder.
- Pistol handle looks awful.

The funniest thing of all is that this SMG is designed as bullpup without being a bullpup! Forgive my mad skillz, but transforming this thing into a bullpup configurations, and it starts to make sense!

b0XwRkAVC1A.jpg
To me that looks like it's inspired by the design of the Kriss Vector;
black_vect__1_1.jpg

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Cyberpunk as a genre is fairly close to the hard sci-fi end of the scale, rampant AIs and voodoo notwithstanding. Where it breaks the rules, it should do so with intent. In my view guns that can't work mechanically or ergonomically just don't fit. This isn't Star Wars or DOOM or some such.

The game is shooting for general "realism" as in not too crazy with the sci-fi concepts and tech and whatnot, but it's obviously going for a pumped up and exaggerated sense of style and fashion. The guns reflecting that is fine.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Could be the case, but it's still fail. Kriss Vector has this weird downward going bolt and thus uses no space behind the trigger group. This way, it could be made very compact, so you can carry it around concealed. Arasaka gun has a huge ass, but barrel is still very short, so it serves no purpose: the gun is not very compact and barrel length is shit. And I'm quite sure that CDPR designer didn't even Google how Kriss Vector works, otherwise Arasaka gun wouldn't have this G36 looking bolt handle on top.

Yeah, now I get how it was done. Guy in charge of that gun just took images of Steyr AUG commando version and Kriss Vector, combined them together and topped it with G36 bolt handle for flashy reload animation - and called it a day.

eng_pl_ASG-Steyr-AUG-A3-XS-COMMANDO-Carbine-Replica-Black-Proline-18377-14577_5.jpg

Prime Junta

It's not about "futuristic" it's about style and pizazz. The game has a fucking "cool" stat ffs, of course it has neon guns and shit.

The pink gun is fine. The Arasaka one is the one that gets my goat. The hard angles and metallic textures communicate a military, functional aesthetic, but the design itself just doesn’t work, neither ergonomically nor mechanically. It’s just dumb and ignorant, the opposite of cool.

Silverfish

Arbiter
The pink one is pretty bad too tbh, it's just small potatoes compared to the Arasaka and Mantis. Damn thing looks like a power drill.

Prime Junta

The pink one is pretty bad too tbh, it's just small potatoes compared to the Arasaka and Mantis. Damn thing looks like a power drill.

The pink one looks like it might work as a gun. There's nothing obviously impossible about it. The fact that it's pink and looks like a disposable water pistol is consistent with what it's supposed to be. If someone was to market a disposable gun for People Who Like Hot Pink (tm), they might very well make it look like that.

The Arasaka one is the opposite. It's a serious gun made for serious people. And it doesn't work as that. It's just bad design, simple as that.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
yes.. not gonna work. since 1911
Nah. Look at 1911 diagram:

cutaway1.jpg

Well, obviously, the mag is tilted because the grip is tilted - pistols with a 90 degree grip are not very comfortable to shoot. Colt 1901 had less tilted grip, and mag was more straight.

Now, let's imagine Arasaka gun round placement. Remember, that round usually lies in the magazine parallel to the bolt and the chamber (with exceptions, of course, but for majority of cases it's true)

-fIKJ87875A.jpg

Well, technically it will work, but makes little sense. Angle here is not necessary, for if you want comfortable foregrip there are way better methods than using a mag for that. Not only that, but rounds placed like this - under an angle - lessen the magazine capacity. Mags are usually straight and perpendicular to the gun, or curved forward to stack more rounds. Here, it's straight, but angled back - so it eats up 10-15% of capacity. And follower spring is gonna be very lopsided. Not too high-end, I say.

That's me applying a common sense to that, judging by the looks it probably was intended as something like this:

Y0p02lF7D5Y.jpg

Chambering the round tip down, cool idea

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Yeah, I was nitpicking. Why not though? People here bumped BG3 thread to more than 500 pages talking God knows about what kind of shit. Despite all the shortcomings and nonsensical stuff this gun looks like it may exist and even work. It's still way better than the retarded designs faggots from Shittesda came up with:

8260697447_edc340c5f8_z.jpg

Duralux for Durabux

Yeah, I was nitpicking. Why not though? People here bumped BG3 thread to more than 500 pages talking God knows about what kind of shit. Despite all the shortcomings and nonsensical stuff this gun looks like it may exist and even work. It's still way better than the retarded designs faggots from Shittesda came up with:

8260697447_edc340c5f8_z.jpg
It's just a PPsh-41 with different magazine.:roll:
PPSh-41_from_soviet.jpg

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
It's just a PPsh-41 with bigger magazine
And with totally fucked up proportions. Magazine is too far forward, effectively in the middle of the barrel; ejection port is too far back and too far away from the magazine; there is no place for bolt to go back. This is the finest example of "googled up the uncopyrighted design and changed it a bit" unproffesionalism present in the gamedev industry. This faggots went to copy the PPSh design, but failed even at that.

Duralux for Durabux

And with totally fucked up proportions. Magazine is too far forward, effectively in the middle of the barrel; ejection port is too far back and too far away from the magazine; there is no place for bolt to go back. This is the finest example of "googled up the uncopyrighted design and changed it a bit" unproffesionalism present in the gamedev industry. This faggots went to copy the PPSh design, but failed even at that.
No, The magazine is just wider, that's all. The rest is literally the same as the PPsh-41 except the barrel is shorter.

WTF is the deal with that Arasaka SMG? How do you even hold it? And how is the magazine tilted that way, rather than the other way, is the ammo fatter in the front than the back? IT MAKES NO SENSE
KVHhlj6-QzA.jpg

Yes, I'm taking this seriously now.

- Tilted magazine makes no sense whatsoever. It's straight, without a curve, so bolt has to pick rounds from an angled surface? Not gonna work.
- Barrel length is amazing. Some pistols have longer barrels than this. If this huge disk on the non-supressed model is actually a threaded nut which you unscrew with the barrel and screw a suppressor instead, then the suppressed version has no barrel whatsoever! Shooting straight from the chamber.
- I see no place for gas operation, so it's either straight blowback or delayed blowback akin to MP5.
- Bolt handle looks like one from G36, but too far back. This means it has some long ass lever to connect handle and bolt. Unpractical and unnecessary.
- Trigger group should be a compact one, or it will interfere with the recoil spring
- I made an assumption about this thing having recoil buffer, and still, it has too much unused space in the back.
- Buttstock looks atrocious. RIP user shoulder.
- Pistol handle looks awful.

The funniest thing of all is that this SMG is designed as bullpup without being a bullpup! Forgive my mad skillz, but transforming this thing into a bullpup configurations, and it starts to make sense!

b0XwRkAVC1A.jpg
black_vect__1_1.jpg

Jesus, that it was ugly fucking gun, and yeah, “gun” was intentional here since it looks like an attachment for industrial vacuum cleaner.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom