Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Getting older, reflexes coming to a hault, but still love online competitive multiplayer

RolePlayer

Augur
What are some quality multiplayer competitive games, where it's less about twitch skills, or even super-fast thought processing, and more about methodical/big picture strategy?

I'm tired of playing games with teenagers who are clearly faster than I am.

Back in early teenage years when counterstrike, quake 3, and starcraft were at the height of their popularity i was pretty good, and could hang with the best players.

I still love online competitive multiplayer games, but it's hard to find options where I'm not immediately handicapped due to being an old man.

Any game suggestions?

User was nabbed fit

Modern Warfare 2019 is pretty campy, sorry, "tactical" for a CoD. It's by no means "realistic" though, as it's a CoD after all. It's pretty fun though, and the mechanics and general feel are solid for a modern, fast paced shooter.

Most importantly for you, it also has skill-based match making which means you'll never be severely outclassed by other players. It also means you'll never get to roflstomp noobier players yourself, because they'll just not show up in your matches. It's a weird situation where the majority of the playerbase is kept on a ~1.0 k/d ratio because of this. There's no way to opt out either. Overall though, it's probably good for what you're looking for.

RolePlayer

Augur
Modern Warfare 2019 is pretty campy, sorry, "tactical" for a CoD. It's by no means "realistic" though, as it's a CoD after all. It's pretty fun though, and the mechanics and general feel are solid for a modern, fast paced shooter.

Most importantly for you, it also has skill-based match making which means you'll never be severely outclassed by other players. It also means you'll never get to roflstomp noobier players yourself, because they'll just not show up in your matches. It's a weird situation where the majority of the playerbase is kept on a ~1.0 k/d ratio because of this. There's no way to opt out either. Overall though, it's probably good for what you're looking for.

I'm kind of vain in that i want to play a game where I can be in the most competitive leagues/ladders and not be stuck in the wood league with other 1-mmr players.

Kitchen Utensil

Just play Go or Chess instead. Video games suck for competitive multiplayer.

Online Chess (and probably even Go nowadays) you play against engines in most cases.

mechwarrior online?
but beware, you're going to face a hundred hours of grind before you put together a respectable mechbay. and for "respectable" i mean "just the barely minimum".

What are some quality multiplayer competitive games, where it's less about twitch skills, or even super-fast thought processing, and more about methodical/big picture strategy?

Chess is the best recommendation, there's no "thinking game" more competitive than chess:

https://www.chess.com/

Big player base and a matchmaking/ranking system, so you end up playing against people at your own "skill level".

Card games like heathstone would fit as well, but card games are full RNG, hard to take those games seriously competitive wise.

mk0

Learned
Online Chess (and probably even Go nowadays) you play against engines in most cases.
True, but competitive play is pointless if your game of choice doesn't offer you with big enough shoes to fill, Go/Chess have enough depth to them to make the years/decades of investment playing them worthwhile.

Also think before you rate, you fucking cuck.

There's also games like dominions, Civilization, Paradox grand strategy games and others strategy games that you can play online. The problem with those games is that there's not enough players, so you end up either spending most of your time trying to find players to play against or getting you ass kicked hard since there's only a few if any novices playing online, the ones who still play those games online are probably already pretty good at it.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
I wish people still played Jedi Outcast MP. That shit was the bomb. 8 players in a Duel server, each patiently waiting their turn because we could watch how the winners played in order to counter them better. A truly :obviously: competitive scene.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
you could try escape from tarkov. While there is still a large element of needing to be quick and accurate lining up the pixels (inevitably the case in any FPS lets be honest), dominant players are dominant because of their map knowledge, gear and maneuvering.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Yeah, single player games. I gave up on MP years ago and my blood pressure thanks me for it.

Kids are like fools. Don't try and beat them at their own games. They'll bring you down to their level and then clobber you with their XP bonuses.

kangaxx

Arbiter
You could try something like League of Legends. Mechanics help if you want to play the more complicated champions, but you can win games through playing simple champs and understanding macro.

Hunt: Showdown. Positioning, loadout, and patience can carry bad aim quite far in the game (not all the way, of course, you still need to hit/lead moving targets), as it allows you to get the drop on people as well as to force the opponent to play to your close/medium/long range weapons strengths while emphasizing their weaknesses.

You will be handicapped in any shooter. Either it's popular which attracts teenagers with coked-out reflexes like crazy, or it's niche where you're stuck playing with people who don't even consciously aim anymore, their muscle memory just moves their hand for them and they hit constantly.

Andhaira

Arcane

Back in early teenage years when counterstrike, quake 3, and starcraft were at the height of their popularity i was pretty good, and could hang with the best players.

I still love online competitive multiplayer games, but it's hard to find options where I'm not immediately handicapped due to being an old man.

Any game suggestions?

It's not youthful reflexes that make them faster than you IMO, its better quality hardware (PC) and internet connection. Being young does give you the ability to learn faster, and your mind works faster AND you have wayyyy too much time to waste on playing games, but I believe its the hardware that really makes a difference.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!

Any game suggestions?

It's not youthful reflexes that make them faster than you IMO, its better quality hardware (PC) and internet connection. Being young does give you the ability to learn faster, and your mind works faster AND you have wayyyy too much time to waste on playing games, but I believe its the hardware that really makes a difference.

pretty much. hours in; Someone who is 30+, has a partner, a career and possibly a kid really is at a marked disadvantage compared to the average zoomer dork who has no job, no life, no obligations whatsoever and spends literally 8+ hours every day in a game, getting disgustingly good at it.

It shouldn't be an issue of degraded reflexes unless you've really abused your brain over the years. Floyd mayweather was in his late 30s and was clowning guys in their prime, guys who are extremely fast. Now granted, elite level athletics selects for... well elite level athletes, but the point is the decline from 30 onwards is greatly overstated as a result of looking at the general population, who abuse the fuck out of their bodies and brains from 14 and onwards. 15+ years of abuse, the chickens must come home to roost. Alcohol, cigarettes, drugs of all kinds, obesity (big cause of nervous damage and degradation) and so on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom