Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 3 + Battle of Steeltown and Cult of the Holy Detonation Expansions Thread

jf8350143

Liturgist
played for an hour, the game runs fine currently ,no major fps drop or anything, but the loading time is pretty long.

also the inventory UI is shit, it needs a completely redesign.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I really like the music and general atmosphere, after completing 1st mission I'm hooked. It seems that skills, attributes and character build in general were improved (safe cracking is under lockpicking now, awareness doesn't seem to be OP like in W2). Fights are interesting, voice acting is good and all in all I can see why it got high scores. We'll see if that impression will last.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
I can't pass the tutorial area and the game hasn't given me a dragon shout!

Broken game, refunding!

EDIT:

Last edited:
Played a few hours. Fairly positive impressions. Loading times have (Thus far) been fine but I've also only done the tutorial zone and I'm clearing out my newbie base so I haven't done any proper world map crawling yet, performance has been alright thus far too. Inventory does seem like a big fucking mess, already dreading trying to use it with a full party and keep track of augmented equipment and shit. Still not sure on a few things like if the skill points-per-level for intelligence are retroactive (Assuming they are since the HP-per-level for strength is, just harder to test skills since intelligence raises the skills every 2 pips rather than 1) and exactly how animal companions work (If they die if they hit 0 HP, or just downed and get back up mainly. If they die then taking animal whisperer was probably a fucking mistake since Major Tom nearly got rocked the very first encounter after I picked him up) but it's looking alright. Still not sure if the combat will send me into a murderous rage like Wasteland 2 did, but as of now it's been tolerable.

A2EFA6AE848D675033E7FBF85C296A553FCEE31E

jf8350143

Liturgist
also the inventory UI is shit, it needs a completely redesign.

would it work better with a controller?

Didn't use controller so no idea. But I highly doubt it.

For example there is no scrap all option, so if you want to scrap 5 weapon you need to click one of them, scrap it and repeat for 5 times. I don't think using a controller will change that. Same with checking and changing weapon mods.

jf8350143

Liturgist
Played a few hours. Fairly positive impressions. Loading times have (Thus far) been fine but I've also only done the tutorial zone and I'm clearing out my newbie base so I haven't done any proper world map crawling yet, performance has been alright thus far too. Inventory does seem like a big fucking mess, already dreading trying to use it with a full party and keep track of augmented equipment and shit. Still not sure on a few things like if the skill points-per-level for intelligence are retroactive (Assuming they are since the HP-per-level for strength is, just harder to test skills since intelligence raises the skills every 2 pips rather than 1) and exactly how animal companions work (If they die if they hit 0 HP, or just downed and get back up mainly. If they die then taking animal whisperer was probably a fucking mistake since Major Tom nearly got rocked the very first encounter after I picked him up) but it's looking alright. Still not sure if the combat will send me into a murderous rage like Wasteland 2 did, but as of now it's been tolerable.

A2EFA6AE848D675033E7FBF85C296A553FCEE31E
There should be a option to leave the cat at the base. Currently it only let me dismiss it permanently or keep it with me all the time, whichi makes 0 sense.

There should be a option to leave the cat at the base. Currently it only let me dismiss it permanently or keep it with me all the time, whichi makes 0 sense.
No kidding, my plan was to leave the cat at the base like a mascot, and then use random animals as fodder since I didn't really want to risk the cat getting gibbed outside of my control during combat. That's a damn bummer.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
How do I respec? I already screwed up my party!

Starting the game again!

I don't know about respeccing, but can you dump/kill party members and then make new ones back at base? Won't help with companions but the rangers are presumably completely disposable unless you can only add 2 more members during that one point early on. Haven't talked to that dude again, maybe that's the case.

jf8350143

Liturgist
I don't know about respeccing, but can you dump/kill party members and then make new ones back at base? Won't help with companions but the rangers are presumably completely disposable unless you can only add 2 more members during that one point early on. Haven't talked to that dude again, maybe that's the case.
the two you created at the start of the game must be in the party, you can only change the other two rangers.

https://www.refused-classification.com/censorship/games/w.html

On February 26, 2020, WASTELAND 3 was banned by the Classification Board.

The reason given was:

Games 1(a): The computer game is classified RC in accordance with the National Classification Code, Computer Games Table, 1. (a) as computer games that 'depict, express or otherwise deal with matters of sex, drug misuse or addiction, crime, cruelty, violence or revolting or abhorrent phenomena in such a way that they offend against the standards of morality, decency and propriety generally accepted by reasonable adults to the extent that they should not be classified.'

A modified version was passed with an R18+ (Sexual activity related to incentives and rewards, online interactivity) rating on March 13.

The extended classification information described:
High impact: sex
Strong impact: themes, violence, language
Moderate impact: drug use
None: nudity

:hmmm:

When talking about censorship I can never decide what is funnier. The fact that people seriously think that sex is worse than violence or the fact that some believe that objectively "abhorrent phenomena in such a way that they offend against the standards of morality, decency and propriety generally accepted by reasonable adults" exist.
I think its interesting you can have high impact sex with no nudity somehow

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
First public appearance by sea in quite a while: https://af.gog.com/news/we_certainl...ith_the_creators_of_wasteland_3?as=1649904300

WE CERTAINLY DON’T PULL ANY PUNCHES - INTERVIEW WITH THE CREATORS OF WASTELAND 3

After years of development and listening attentively to gamers, the third part of the cult post-apocalyptic series is finally here. We’ve used this occasion to ask some questions to the game’s lead designer David Rogers and other developers from inXile Entertainment.

GOG.COM: What are your views on the future of mankind - should we be worried?

David Rogers, Lead Designer: I don't think we should be worried. Even if there's a nuclear apocalypse, it seems (according to Wasteland) like there'll still be plenty of drugs to go around. ;-)

w3_editorial_1.jpg

What element of the Wasteland series have you always felt most drawn into, what kept you going through the years of games’ development?

I’ve really loved helping build Wasteland alongside my amazing team. It feels a heck of a lot like being a Dungeon Master. We’re really focused on telling the player’s story, trying to anticipate their every move, and make the game work no matter what they do. Something that’s really motivated all of us as we finish polishing Wasteland has been the fan feedback during the Alpha and Beta tests. I feel a lot of support from our community of Wasteland fans.

Who is your favorite character from the game and why? We would appreciate as many answers from the team as possible.

David Rogers, Lead Designer - Scotchmo. I just find him a joy to be around. He really lightens the mood of our often-bleak game. From a playstyle perspective, and for what he does to the story, I’d go with Ironclad Cordite. He’s got his own agenda and it’s pretty horrible, but if you entertain his plans he’ll take the game in a crazy direction.

w3_editorial_2.jpg

Alex Kerr, Level Designer - Party Pal. When everyone else sees a frozen hellscape, it sees a potential party!

Thomas Beekers, Narrative Designer - Long John, a synth hiding in the Bizarre, disguised very poorly by wearing a Richard Nixon mask. Long John is a good combination of Wasteland 3's 80s roots and sense of humor, while also having a dark plotline. And his dialog is quite funny!

Eric Schwarz, Lead Systems Designer - The Prisoner. I love how you find him just hanging out in the prison of Ranger HQ when you move in, and the mystery of who he is, how he got there, and how you just can't figure out any answers no matter how many questions you ask. He is also written and voiced in a way that is absolutely hilarious and I remember laughing out loud for pretty much the entire conversation with him.

Kitty Lee, Producer - Servitor bots, their voices crack me up.
w3_editorial_3.jpg

Will frozen Colorado prove to be more dangerous for the players than post-apocalyptic Arizona from the previous parts of the series?

They both have their own dangers for sure. We certainly don’t pull any punches. There is no shortage of ways to die in Colorado. When it comes to how we murder you on the world map, we have made some changes for the better. Our world map, first off, looks amazing! We’ve also made some changes to random encounters. Avoiding random encounters is no longer random.

Each encounter in each area has its own skill needed to avoid it. It gives you a much better feeling of control over the world and the experience you want. Other skills now, for the first time, come into play in random encounters. With certain skills, based on the encounter type, you can use them to gain an advantage in combat. For example, you can use your Sneaky Shit skill to ambush your ambushers.

w3_editorial_4.jpg

Radiation has a fun twist on it now too. Radiation will kill you, make no mistake, but a quick dance in the radiation can now result in random mutations or tumors forming on your ranger. Maybe that 3rd eye you grew is worth the nausea you got from your radiation bath.

How does it feel to work with legendary game designer and producer, Brian Fargo? What kind of boss is he?

He’s fantastic. He really does play a huge role in driving the tone and feel of our games. He has a great sense of what players want from our games and how to make a game strike an emotional chord. A lot of the humor and drama in Wasteland 3 reflect Brian and Matt Findley’s (narrative director on this game) sensibilities. He really tries hard, particularly early in the project, to drill into the team the tone he wants to strike and the kind of game-feel he wants, and works to keep the game true to that vision, all while making sure to amplify the creativity that flows around inXile when we’re building a game.

w3_editorial_5.jpg

What was the most difficult part of creating Wasteland 3?

I think if you ask every member of our team you’ll get fifty different answers. There were so many challenges to overcome in making this game and each was its own war story. Basically, every problem we solved was exacerbated by how massive this game turned out to be.

Optimizing the game was a huge effort from everyone. It was a huge challenge from the get-go just building what feels like 80+ hours of gameplay, recording all those voices, balancing all that content, building all the items, putting SFX and music everywhere, and then having to test the whole thing. Testing a game like this is such a challenge because there’s simply no replacement for just playing the game.

Everything’s just so interconnected. If you tweak one little thing it can have huge impacts on the economy, which impacts combat difficulty, which impacts how much ammo and health packs you use, which comes back to impact the economy again, etc etc. When a natural playthrough for us clocks in at around 80 hours you can only do huge balance passes so many times.

w3_editorial_6.jpg

What feeling would you like to convey to the players that are waiting on the edge of their seats for Wasteland 3?

Personally, gratitude. Our community has felt supportive of what we’re doing so far. Each time we release a backer demo they come back to us with support for what we’re doing, as well as constructive criticism, letting us know what else they want from us. We polished our merchant interface, added a mini-map, added crouch, added alternate weapon fire modes, and a ton of other smaller bits of polish based on the feedback from our fans.

We built a huge game designed to let players tell their own stories, and we’re so excited to see what people do with our game. A huge thrill for me personally, and I know a lot of devs feel the same way, is watching people stream our games. Watching someone have fun with your game is about as rewarding as it gets for a game developer.

Last edited by a moderator:

jaydee2k

Savant
I reconsider to try this game but there's some fear in me that is holding me back because it will possibly change my sexual orientation for worse...

Niklasgunner

Savant
Everyone knows the best way to reward your crowdfunding backers is to give them a shitload of items at the start and ruin the early game economy because thats very engaging, good job inXile
XUakPJf.jpg

Jrpgfan

Erudite
So far awareness feels like a dump stat for Snipers. I don't know how much of a difference the ranged damage bonus will make in the long run, but it's pretty much useless in the first mission since you'll be one shoting everyone anyway with the starting sniper rifle, and the hit chance bonus you get from it is a joke. You can also get perception from desert cat background and +1 for every Sneaky shit skill level, making it even more worthless. It's better to just invest in coordination + int and pick the serial killer trait, so you get two shots in a single turn, and spend the additional skill points from int in the sniper skill since you get much better hit chance bonus from there.

Doktor Best

Arcane
https://www.refused-classification.com/censorship/games/w.html

On February 26, 2020, WASTELAND 3 was banned by the Classification Board.

The reason given was:

Games 1(a): The computer game is classified RC in accordance with the National Classification Code, Computer Games Table, 1. (a) as computer games that 'depict, express or otherwise deal with matters of sex, drug misuse or addiction, crime, cruelty, violence or revolting or abhorrent phenomena in such a way that they offend against the standards of morality, decency and propriety generally accepted by reasonable adults to the extent that they should not be classified.'

A modified version was passed with an R18+ (Sexual activity related to incentives and rewards, online interactivity) rating on March 13.

The extended classification information described:
High impact: sex
Strong impact: themes, violence, language
Moderate impact: drug use
None: nudity

:hmmm:

When talking about censorship I can never decide what is funnier. The fact that people seriously think that sex is worse than violence or the fact that some believe that objectively "abhorrent phenomena in such a way that they offend against the standards of morality, decency and propriety generally accepted by reasonable adults" exist.
I think its interesting you can have high impact sex with no nudity somehow

High impact sex with armor penetrating genitalia.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom