Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Curratum

"and it might be nearly finished" March 2019

September 2020: Crickets

The game is not happening, guys.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
Maybe George decided it needed more time in the oven. Maybe the game will be out in the next two decades?

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
New poisonous swamps.

Can't remember any poisonous swamps in AGOT. I suspect more like a Frozen Wasteland where you lose health progressively due to the cold.
There are the marshes and swamps of the Neck, formerly ruled by the Marsh Kings. They aren't explicitly described as "poisonous", but their inhabitants are said to poison their weapons and arrows. This land and its people are also closely connected to the children of the forest, so it's not completely absurd to think that, with the birth of the dragons and the resulting strengthening of magic throughout the world, they might be able to poison the waters through some ritual.

There's also the Sorrows in Essos. It's not poisonous per se, but it's an abandoned river perpetually covered in fog, inhabited by stone men that can infect you with a deadly disease with a simple touch.

North of the red waste there's the Poison Sea. It's just a salt lake but, hey, the name is there.

Kitchen Utensil

Well, yeah, tbh I'm not looking forward to this.

Ever since Dark Souls, From's games have been getting worse. They're still all good games, way above the industry standard, but that special something diminished over time. If now that GRRM hack is responsible for the lore, and we'll get an open world, I'm really not hopeful. Sounds like AAA, and the higher the budget, the more dumbed down and soulless games tend to be. It's only a matter of time until the decline hits FromSoft completely. I'm surprised they lasted this long.

polo

Magister
I agree Dark Souls and Demon souls are probably the best ones. (didnt play bloodborne).

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Bananas are better than apples.

Did you find my post interesting?
By that, I meant better in every ways possible, both in gameplay,art style,enemy's AI,Enemies variety, maps, etc...
It interprets to "I like BB's gameplay, AI, art more". What you like is irrelevant, because you're not anyone's close friend. RandomDude#1488 likes something.

You could argue under the pretense of objectivity that Bloodborn's art is better, for example. I fail to see how you'd do it, so at least it'd be something.
But if you don't want to bother, then your "i like this" post is tantamount to some random dude posting his breakfast's pic on twitter. Who cares.

Duralux for Durabux

It interprets to "I like BB's gameplay, AI, art more". What you like is irrelevant, because you're not anyone's close friend. RandomDude#1488 likes something.

You could argue under the pretense of objectivity that Bloodborn's art is better, for example. I fail to see how you'd do it, so at least it'd be something.
But if you don't want to bother, then your "i like this" post is tantamount to some random dude posting his breakfast's pic on twitter. Who cares.
It's not something to discuss, anyone who isn't a stuttborn Souls fanboy and have played the game through its entierity knows it. Simply, Bloodborne is the best game of this generation by far and better than Dark souls and demon's souls. It takes too long to prove it but if you have played it recently, you know it. But as I know that this forum is full of Console haters who are convince a console game can't be better than average, I won't make the sacrifice of showing it. Just play it. If this game comes to PC, everyone will have the same opinion like me and it will sell like crazy. But just because it's on PS4 due to its technical limitation, this game gets a ton of shit for nothing and is underrated.
Rate me retard, dumbfucks but Bloodborne is the only game which respects Lovecraft's works and the best game of this gen is a console game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
That's just a lengthier version of "I like BB". Stop teasing and start explaining, I'm genuinely intrigued at this point. And I actually bought PS4 just for BB,
played it for 20 hours and sold the console, never finishing the game. What triggered me is that you can't try bosses without the blood vials.
But to get the vials, you have to GRIND. Which is mind blowing, why the fuck would I grind in a single player game.
So your premise of "play it and you'll see" is deluded. I didn't see the same thing you saw. Yours is not a universal reaction.

But don't worry about me. It's your show. What makes BB better, point by point with arguments please? The fact that
it "respects Lovecraft" is irrelevant, because it's not important what inspirations were used for the game, what matters is only the result on its own.

polo

Magister
Bananas are better than apples.

Did you find my post interesting?
By that, I meant better in every ways possible, both in gameplay,art style,enemy's AI,Enemies variety, maps, etc...

I had a black coffee and a toast with peanut butter, discuss!

polo

Magister
That's just a lengthier version of "I like BB". Stop teasing and start explaining, I'm genuinely intrigued at this point. And I actually bought PS4 just for BB,
played it for 20 hours and sold the console, never finishing the game. What triggered me is that you can't try bosses without the blood vials.
But to get the vials, you have to GRIND. Which is mind blowing, why the fuck would I grind in a single player game.
So your premise of "play it and you'll see" is deluded. I didn't see the same thing you saw. Yours is not a universal reaction.

But don't worry about me. It's your show. What makes BB better, point by point with arguments please? The fact that
it "respects Lovecraft" is irrelevant, because it's not important what inspirations were used for the game, what matters is only the result on its own.

Cause of the trading hits mechanic right? I was always intrigued about that when i saw gameplay. Also bothered me the lack of weapon variety.

Duralux for Durabux

First:
576E6364D09F92E98A2CDA8D7138FCF8429928BA

And the phrase I underlined is wrong.
Point by point fine :
  • Soundtrack: Bloodborne wins, Except Gwyn's theme there is no other memorial OST in Dark Souls

• Gameplay: A video is enough:

Dark souls bosses are ridiculous compared Bloodborne's bosses.
  • Artworks
XUAoEH8Sl0Y

Bloodborne wins, Dark Victorian Lovecraft vs Typical dark medieval fantasy.
  • Weapons Variety:
Yes Dark souls have a big number of weapons but Quality >Quantity Therefore Bloodborne wins by thousand miles

• Level design:
bloodborne_progression_map_simple.png

Vs
xoOMAHwomRCrF-M2q7uwoY3-Z04rbe7O2NFKcF1XBdY.jpg

Only section in which Dark souls wins but Bloodborne's maps are more detailed &better made.

Kitchen Utensil

Dark Souls wins in every fucking category. And level-/world design/layout isn't even the most obvious one. Gameplay/build variety is. I can see how the setting may appeal to some more than Dark Souls' (it doesn't to me), but that one is subjective. All objective metrics favour Dark Souls. Unless you're a faggot.

And to return to the topic: How GRRM and open world doesn't sound the alarm bells for most people here is beyond me.

Duralux for Durabux

Darks Souls wins in every fucking category. And level-/world design/layout isn't even the most obvious one. Gameplay/build variety is. I can see how the setting may appeal to some more than Dark Souls' (it doesn't to me), but that one is subjective. All objective metrics favour Dark Souls. Unless you're a faggot.

And to return to the topic: How GRRM and open world doesn't sound the alarm bells for most people here is beyond me.
Have you played Bloodborne? It seems to me that you haven't also.
Gameplay/build variety is.
Yes Bloodborne has the best gameplay with the best build variety compared to Dark Souls 1. In bloodborne, All weapons have different movesets Dark souls weapons haven't.
Plus make sure to not read what I have posted faggot.
Darks Soul wins in every fucking category. . All objective metrics favour Dark Souls. Unless you're a faggot.
As if this wasn't subjective.
I forgot that codex members have 2 Digit IQ.
I'm open to debate not to insults and even less to stupidity and fanboyism.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
George Duroy looks like BB was your first souls game and you can't correctly appraise other games.

OST: both have wonderful OSTs, I don't have a classical music education to debate which one is better from the academic point of view, e.g. which one has a richer polyphony etc, but neither can you.
But as you brought up "memorability", Cleric Beast and Gwyn are both equally memorable.
Draw on OST.

Boss design: "Father Gascoigne" is a pretty generic quick humanoid boss that checks your reflexes. There's many like him. He's got 3 phases, but first and second phase are different only slightly, and music changes when he turns to beast. Compare that with Sister Friede with three much more distinct phases, which involve so many things that they check. Hearing when she turns invisible, reflexes for parrying, patience when openings are hard to find in phase 2, moveset memorization since sometimes she's parriable and sometimes she isn't. She's truly magnificent, the richness and depth of Friede is hard to overstate.
DS3 wins all day.

> "Bloodborne wins, Dark Victorian Lovecraft vs Typical dark medieval fantasy."
One style cannot "just win" over another, it's the execution that matters.
Besides, DS has areas like archdragon peak that aren't "dark medieval fantasy". DS series is more varied, and much less repetitive.
Still, as far as styles go, I think they're both done very well, a draw from me.

Armor & Weapon design: DS all day, due to variety of armor/weapons/magic combinations. Much lower number of thematic styles in Bloodborne than in DS, special online pvp items and the number of unexpected tricks that you can pull. BB's online is meh.
DS all day.

Level design: Both follow the same principles, so a draw.

Duralux for Durabux

George Duroy looks like BB was your first souls game and you can't correctly appraise other games.

OST: both have wonderful OSTs, I don't have a classical music education to debate which one is better from the academic point of view, e.g. which one has a richer polyphony etc, but neither can you.
But as you brought up "memorability", Cleric Beast and Gwyn are both equally memorable.
Draw on OST.

Boss design: "Father Gascoigne" is a pretty generic quick humanoid boss that checks your reflexes. There's many like him. He's got 3 phases, but first and second phase are different only slightly, and music changes when he turns to beast. Compare that with Sister Friede with three much more distinct phases, which involve so many things that they check. Hearing when she turns invisible, reflexes for parrying, patience when openings are hard to find in phase 2, moveset memorization since sometimes she's parriable and sometimes she isn't. She's truly magnificent, the richness and depth of Friede is hard to overstate.
DS3 wins all day.

> "Bloodborne wins, Dark Victorian Lovecraft vs Typical dark medieval fantasy."
One style cannot "just win" over another, it's the execution that matters.
Besides, DS has areas like archdragon peak that aren't "dark medieval fantasy". DS series is more varied, and much less repetitive.
Still, as far as styles go, I think they're both done very well, a draw from me.

Armor & Weapon design: DS all day, due to variety of armor/weapons/magic combinations. Much lower number of thematic styles in Bloodborne than in DS, special online pvp items and the number of unexpected tricks that you can pull. BB's online is meh.
DS all day.

Level design: Both follow the same principles, so a draw.
  • OST : Do Dark souls 1-2-3 have this quality of music and this budget involved (Choir included)?.
  • Boss design: You take friede( A boss of a DLC of the third installment of the souls serie), It's one boss who has less movesets than Gascoigne THE FIRST BOSS OF THE GAME. Now Is there the same numbers of quality bosses in DS1-2-3 than in Bloodborne? Is there Martyr Logarius, Father Gascoigne, Laurence, Orphan of Kos, Lady Maria, Gerhman the first hunter,DarkBeast Paarl quality, By that I mean same number of movesets or reactivity. No I don't think so. Even DS3 has bosses with less movesets and that game came out 1 year after Bloodborne.
  • Do you Know a game with Dark Victorian lovecraft style in the market except Bloodborne? It is better because it's the only game with such a style right now this well done. Dark medieval fantasy is done and redone and redone, and Dark souls style copies Berserk. Bloodborne's one is all unique.
  • Armor / Weapons: You are wrong, again Bloodborne wins because actually Bloodborne has a real Weapons variety not just reskins of other weapons and Bloodborne's armors have Physics, Dark Souls's armors haven't but it has different sounds depending on wheter it's an armor plate or not. Dark souls has more spells but they are absolutly overpowered and broken. And Dark Souls 3's spells are underpowered.
  • And in environment variety, Bloodborne wins , you go to a Dark victorian city during inquisition to a Castle hidden to campains inhabited by lovecraftian monsters to a church surrounded by a singing monsters choir celebrating litterally Cthultu to a surnatural place full of crazy demons to the center of city of Yarhnam surrounder by multiples invisible gods which can only be seen by madness creatures to etc...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom