Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
Had a word with Holic92, the man making the best Kingmaker mods - Call of the Wild; Favoured Class etc. He stated that the turn-based patch introduced a shit-ton of mechanical bugs, with entire abilities, spells, etc. not working properly now.

Also, he confirmed what other here have already mentioned - the AI is completely brain-dead in the turn-based mod. No adjustments have been made.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
When a mod author who does not have access to the game source code tells something about "mechanical bugs" it means that his mod stopped working. As it should be without official mod support.

The rest is utter twaddle.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
When a mod author who does not have access to the game source code tells something about "mechanical bugs" it means that his mod stopped working. As it should be without official mod support.

What are you talking about? Anyone playing the game can asses whether abilities and spells are working as intended or not. The log at the bottom right of the screen basically feeds you any information you need. If a spell is supposed to do X, but does Y instead, you already know it's broken. And reading the various posts in here and Nexus Mods, it's obvious that the 2.1 patch broke a LOT, hence why Owlcat Games are patching it week after week.

It also doesn't change the fact that everyone and their mother observed - the AI doesn't have the faintest idea how to handle turn based combat.

Oh, and what do you mean by "source code"? It's a Unity game - everyone can fiddle with the game, if they have enough technical skills.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
If a spell is supposed to do X, but does Y instead, you already know it's broken.
The question is - how one does know what the spell "is supposed to do" and "what it does instead".

Kingmaker does not follow RAW. Sometimes it is intentional, and sometimes it is not. The second case could be considered a bug, as in "implemented not as planned". Do you know from the authors of Kingmaker how to distinguish between the former and the latter? Like, Crane Wing implementation in Kingmaker: is it a bug that cannot be fixed for 2 years or something planned? Or something in-between? Also, the log you're referring to is made by the same buggy program. How can you trust it?

It also doesn't change the fact that everyone and their mother observed
I've seen only 1 such observation so far, from InD_ImaginE . Probably, you've seen more. It does not change the fact that we're comparing our personal experience and nothing more.

Oh, and what do you mean by "source code"? It's a Unity game - everyone can fiddle with the game, if they have enough technical skills.
Have you ever seen what is shown by dnSpy? Have you compared it with proper C# code? It might be enough to "fiddle", but not enough to understand design and architecture of the game.

It is obvious that Kingmaker's code is brittle. The last article about turn base mode implementation and the article for WotR Kickstarter about the changes in the program structure have indirect, but compelling evidence of it. The fact that Owlcats cannot change their code reliably and have to fix it every time is direct evidence.

However, using the words of a mod author to discuss the architecture of a program is like using a faith healer when your mother has breast cancer.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

What are you talking about? Anyone playing the game can asses whether abilities and spells are working as intended or not. The log at the bottom right of the screen basically feeds you any information you need. If a spell is supposed to do X, but does Y instead, you already know it's broken. And reading the various posts in here and Nexus Mods, it's obvious that the 2.1 patch broke a LOT, hence why Owlcat Games are patching it week after week.

It also doesn't change the fact that everyone and their mother observed - the AI doesn't have the faintest idea how to handle turn based combat.

Imagine expecting a rational and unbiased opinion on Pathfinder: Kingmaker from LannTheStupid

HereToFindCancer.256.332493.jpg

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
If a spell is supposed to do X, but does Y instead, you already know it's broken.
The question is - how one does know what the spell "is supposed to do" and "what it does instead".

It also doesn't change the fact that everyone and their mother observed
I've seen only 1 such observation so far, from InD_ImaginE . Probably, you've seen more. It does not change the fact that we're comparing our personal experience and nothing more.

Have you ever seen what is shown by dnSpy? Have you compared it with proper C# code? It might be enough to "fiddle", but not enough to understand design and architecture of the game.

It is obvious that Kingmaker's code is brittle. The last article about turn base mode implementation and the article for WotR Kickstarter about the changes in the program structure have indirect, but compelling evidence of it. The fact that Owlcats cannot change their code reliably and have to fix it every time is direct evidence.

However, using the words of a mod author to discuss the architecture of a program is like using a faith healer when your mother has breast cancer.
1. From the description? Have you been sniffing petrol, by any chance?
2. "I've bothered to read one example" is no argument. Just laziness.
3. Yes, it's so brittle that a modder had to show them how to implement turn-based combat. And a different one added classes and archetypes much faster than Owlcat will in their sequel, which leads me to believe they'll rip him off too. The rest of what you've written is gibberish, so it's safe to ignore.

It's rather obvious that Owlcat Games suffers from the same illness most of RPG developers suffer from since the late 90s - incompetence when it comes to implementing content. If I were to ask, here and now, for a list of great RPGs absolutely riddled with game-breaking bugs, especially at release, we'd have a whole litany. If I'd ask for the opposite - a small handful of examples.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
New patch:

Update 2.1.0k – August 27, 2020

Please be aware of plot spoilers in the description below!
  • It was possible to start a fight with Marquise Immolatia when entering Lostlarn Keep — Upper Reaches. Resolution: fixed.
  • Dallirun Myrnas failed to summon the undead on the Flintrock Grassland. Resolution: fixed.
  • Kassil Aldori was missing on the Flintrock Grassland. Resolution: fixed.
  • You could no longer interact with Astradaemon at Vordakai's Tomb after talking to him. Resolution: fixed.
  • Now you cannot leave Vordakai's Tomb until you talked to Maegar Varn.
  • In the Other World area, the teleporting system was greatly improved to prevent characters from being stuck when they use teleportation spells (e.g. Dimension Door).
  • If your main character fell unconscious before your companions when you first met the Technic League, that could lead to gameplay-related issues in the area. Resolution: fixed.
  • Fixed the issues with the characters’ movement in The Stag Lord's Fort.
  • Fixed the error due to which you could lose control over your party after Tristian’s attack at the Abandoned Keep.
  • Characters with the Kinetic Blade ability were unable to attack enemies in turn-based combat if they needed to come closer to their target. Resolution: fixed.
  • Spells that have a line of effect and cone-shaped spells sometimes failed to hit the targets that were standing behind opened doors. Resolution: fixed.
  • Fixed the duration of Gather Power and other effects in turn-based mode.
  • The abilities that used a swift action each round, spent it even if they were disabled. If a swift action was spent, the prediction panel showed that a free-action ability would be used as a standard action. Resolution: fixed.
  • Fixed the issue when Amiri’s fourth weapon slot was locked after Armag broke her sword.
  • Fixed the issue when R3, L3, and Select buttons sometimes failed to work when playing on Steam with Controller Configuration Support enabled.
  • Fixed the issues when the AI missed the turns, especially at low FPS.
  • An extra action bar was visible in the dialogues. Resolution: fixed.
  • Fixed the issues caused by multiple attempts to start resting using a hotkey.
  • The camera zoom was set either to its minimum or maximum value. Resolution: fixed.

https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/640820/view/2860303582292577885

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I finished Chapter 1 and despite a bit of glitch here n there, I'm satisfied with this game.
But when I saw the options in Kingdom management I decided to just shut off the game for the night. It's too much to take in.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I finished Chapter 1 and despite a bit of glitch here n there, I'm satisfied with this game.
But when I saw the options in Kingdom management I decided to just shut off the game for the night. It's too much to take in.

Kingdom management seems way more complicated than it is. Just assign people to posts (need to find Jub before you get a treasurer). City building doesn't really matter - Build whatever you want. Just expand your territory when you can. Don't assign people to long duration jobs (30+ days) unless you know what you are doing. Most of the curse research options are pointless unless you are going for the waifu ending and you'd need a guide for that.

RK47

Patron
Yeah, some small bugs with spell still exist.
Magic Vestment Cleric Lv 3
You can choose to increase AC on Shield/Armor but it doesn't do anything for Shields. It seems like they're just applying it directly to the character instead of the shield. So it doesn't stack correctly.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
You can choose to increase AC on Shield/Armor but it doesn't do anything for Shields. It seems like they're just applying it directly to the character instead of the shield. So it doesn't stack correctly.

This is an old bug IIRC, been there since like before last year major patch

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
That spell is double bugged: the shield version does nothing, the armor version stacks with other enchantment bonuses while it shouldn't. Now let's just wait for Lann to tell us that this is working as intended because they haven't fixed it for so long.

Lacrymas

Arcane
After the bajillionth attempt at creating the character I like and maybe finally succeeding, I played around with the TB mode and I've got to say RTwP is officially dumb and pointless. RTwP doesn't make sense with the system and the game is worse off for having it, no wonder it died at the beginning of the century. Too bad we have to deal with its shambling corpse now, spreading its bloated, diseased mass to other games in the franchise.

RK47

Patron
I toggle Resolving Trash-combat (RT) mode just to clear trash combat quicker. i.e clearing lvl 1-2 grps.

Last edited:

Crichton

Prophet
After the bajillionth attempt at creating the character I like and maybe finally succeeding, I played around with the TB mode and I've got to say RTwP is officially dumb and pointless. RTwP doesn't make sense with the system and the game is worse off for having it, no wonder it died at the beginning of the century. Too bad we have to deal with its shambling corpse now, spreading its bloated, diseased mass to other games in the franchise.

All RTwP adaptations of D&D 3.0/3.5/Pathfinder are garbage, but take heart. Back in the days of NWN2, we thought me might be stuck with them forever. Now the next Owlcat game might be the last one to even include an RTwP option. I don't know if taste is improving, publishers are wising up or it's all simply a knock-on effect from the success of D:OS 2, but any which way, I'll take it.

Cromwell

Arcane
I just stumbled a glowing portal down in the lonely barrow and it tells me I have to be the strongest and kill a few things. What Monsters are meant here?

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
do you have to bring tristian in vordakais tomb for the true ending?or can you make him destroy a certain item later?
No
If you don't bring him with you, you can't convince him not to steal the Eye. Nyrissa finds the Briar, but it won't work for her if it's taken, only if it's freely given and accepted. You can find it in her funhouse and present it to her as normal

panda

Savant
I just stumbled a glowing portal down in the lonely barrow and it tells me I have to be the strongest and kill a few things. What Monsters are meant here?
There are about 60 quest monsters in various parts ot the map. When you kill special one there will be visual effect of energy(like small magic missiles) absorbed by MC.
Majority of them scattered through the world and can be found in small isolated locations(e.g. chapter I examples: werewolf, water elemental, e.t.c). But few are present in big story maps too.
You'll get access to last batch of locations/monsters during Pitax chapter.

But i believe most people nowdays don't wait for so long and just teleport inside through glitch/crack/whatever between regular and force walls.

Eastwood

Educated
Feyspeaker is strongest Druid, especially for MC.
Mirror Image is that good.

Could you elaborate on that, Desiderius?
I'm considering doing another run as a Druid to pursue the secret ending and figured Feyspeaker might fit perfectly for role-playing.
Gameplay wise however, I think Defender of the True World is much stronger. You don't miss out on spontaneous summoning, can wear medium armor, have higher will saves, BAB and get that juicy bonus against Fey.

What would be the role of a Feyspeaker in combat? A backline summoner/caster? Is mirror image even worth it, when you don't intend to tank?

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
There are about 60 quest monsters in various parts ot the map. When you kill special one there will be visual effect of energy(like small magic missiles) absorbed by MC.
Majority of them scattered through the world and can be found in small isolated locations(e.g. chapter I examples: werewolf, water elemental, e.t.c). But few are present in big story maps too.
You'll get access to last batch of locations/monsters during Pitax chapter.

But i believe most people nowdays don't wait for so long and just teleport inside through glitch/crack/whatever between regular and force walls.

It's less than 60. If you just play the game and explore you'll end up kill enough bosses to unlock the door and have a nice endgame fight.

Farrinas Banshee.jpg

Cheating your way in is pretty much cheating your way out of half of the game since the gear is endgame and you'd have to cheese the fight.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Feyspeaker is strongest Druid, especially for MC.
Mirror Image is that good.

Could you elaborate on that, Desiderius?
I'm considering doing another run as a Druid to pursue the secret ending and figured Feyspeaker might fit perfectly for role-playing.
Gameplay wise however, I think Defender of the True World is much stronger. You don't miss out on spontaneous summoning, can wear medium armor, have higher will saves, BAB and get that juicy bonus against Fey.

What would be the role of a Feyspeaker in combat? A backline summoner/caster? Is mirror image even worth it, when you don't intend to tank?

You can, but double Displacer Beast is just nuts. Spontaneous summoning is only good on low levels where its not very good since your summons suck, at high levels your spells rule, armor doesn't work while wildshaped, you don't need to save against dead casters, Smilos get five attax at full BAB, and they get their own bonus against Fey.

Mirror Image, Displacement, Greater Invis, whatever high level Illusions and Enchantments you like. Your pet is the ultimate tank then you can just Pounce around mauling shit.

Just make sure you can get your WIS to 13 for Natural Spell since it doesn't go off of CHR stupidly. The earlier Shapes aren't as strong so you can hang back casting if you like but your Smilo pet will be like a full party member itself.

Val's Smilodon tanking.jpg

ValTigerPounce.jpg

Smilodon Pounce.jpg

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
So, what's the consensus? Since I'm installing the game in a few days - 2.0.8 or 2.1?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom