Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 3 + Battle of Steeltown and Cult of the Holy Detonation Expansions Thread

DeepOcean

Arcane
Is the experience boost from charisma valid for for all team or only the ranger with high charisma? 30% more experience and 10% more mission experience is pretty good to be maxed earlier if it is for the whole team, dunno if it worthy to gimp a character this way if it is only for each high charisma ranger. There seems to not be any kind of diminishing returns on the stat allocation, so maxing one of them up right away doesnt seem like a bad idea. By the looks of it, the character building is following Fallout 4 attribute distribution with all stats starting really low, dont like this, do you get attribute points per level?

Takamori

Learned
Did inXile get paid by Snickers to put that in the game or at least permission? A lot of companies tend to be wary about product placement in controversial things. :M

Same goes for Chips Ahoy too apparently.

Could be that Chips Ahoy and Snickers paid to Inxile for product placement just like Monster to Kojima! +M

Who am I lying to, probably some dev fuck up.

Xeon

Augur
Hiring new rangers is free right? and I think you can even replace your starting rangers with the new ones? if that's how this works then that's pretty amazing, you can cheese that shit doing any of the skill checks no prob. Kinda like respec without respec.

TwoEdge

Scholar
Is the experience boost from charisma valid for for all team or only the ranger with high charisma? 30% more experience and 10% more mission experience is pretty good to be maxed earlier if it is for the whole team, dunno if it worthy to gimp a character this way if it is only for each high charisma ranger. There seems to not be any kind of diminishing returns on the stat allocation, so maxing one of them up right away doesnt seem like a bad idea. By the looks of it, the character building is following Fallout 4 attribute distribution with all stats starting really low, dont like this, do you get attribute points per level?

It's only for the individual ranger, but I think it's worth it, especially with the buffed leadership mechanics.

TwoEdge

Scholar
Hiring new rangers is free right? and I think you can even replace your starting rangers with the new ones? if that's how this works then that's pretty amazing, you can cheese that shit doing any of the skill checks no prob. Kinda like respec without respec.

You can freely replace the rangers you create, although I'm not sure about the two you create initially. Story characters can't, though, so if you plan to take them for their reactions it's better to read up on them and plan beforehand.

It's only for the individual ranger, but I think it's worth it, especially with the buffed leadership mechanics.
Do you happen to know if there are stat-boosting items or anything? I've been leaving some dudes at 9 on primary stats thinking I may find a way to bump 'em up to a 10 outside of spending points, but thus far I've only found skill books that raise skills (Which to powergame that, sounds best if you save it and use it later since the cost for raising a skill increases the higher it is) so I'm thinking maybe I should just fucking get some 10s. I did give my skillslut a 10 charisma right out of the gate because my theory is since intelligence no longer gives skill points-per-level, it may make sense to just have a guy earning massively more XP than everyone else and leveling quicker, thus getting more skill points. Remains to be seen how well that'll work out.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Do you happen to know if there are stat-boosting items or anything? I've been leaving some dudes at 9 on primary stats thinking I may find a way to bump 'em up to a 10 outside of spending points, but thus far I've only found skill books that raise skills (Which to powergame that, sounds best if you save it and use it later since the cost for raising a skill increases the higher it is) so I'm thinking maybe I should just fucking get some 10s. I did give my skillslut a 10 charisma right out of the gate because my theory is since intelligence no longer gives skill points-per-level, it may make sense to just have a guy earning massively more XP than everyone else and leveling quicker, thus getting more skill points. Remains to be seen how well that'll work out.

yes but much more rare than books. There are stat boosting animals I believe

yes but much more rare than books. There are stat boosting animals I believe
Thanks for the heads up, may keep trying to minmax by keeping most stats around 9 then.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There are also dolls that you can find. They give small party-wide bonuses. I found one in Ranger HQ that raises explosives by 5% for your rangers.

Curratum

The real question is, when are you going to run into the unavoidable, persistent lock-up bug that happens every time and blocks your progress.

jf8350143

Liturgist
So about the quest where you have to confront a bunch of smugglers at bizarre.

Is there any other way to solve the quest other than kill them?

Also there seems to be no fast travel feature, and you have to control you vehicle on the map the whole time? What the heck?

jf8350143

Liturgist
Also major tomcat died when a suicide bomb pig explode right next to him. RIP.

However for whatever reason my rangers still has the 6% crits buff he gives.

Ivory Samoan

Liturgist
Few bugs about, hmmm.....to wait for patches or just hike through this now.

Had to reboot computer a couple times with hitched squadmates, pathfinding seems a little buggy.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Andrew Jackson's parrot was a riot at funerals.
Indeed:

jccro1.jpg

Dr.Faust

Liturgist
Word of warning: don't start a co-op playthrough yet if you don't have high tolerance for bugs and general jankiness.
Especially the remote player suffers from a crapload of minor to medium niggles that really pile up. Then there's a couple gamestoppers that forced me and my buddy to revert to an older save.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Got to the ranger base, well, I can tell the production values improved, the game in 4k isnt the most beautiful thing in the world but it is okay, at least it doesnt look as shovelware like Wasteland 2 did, the animations on the bigger robots are better and way more natural, I was surprised by that, the ranger character models though, dear God, some prosper in there, glad dont need to zoom in on the characters much. I liked that the game already starts with a decent amount of stat checks right on the tutorial, sure, most are for flavor but I enjoy that, hope things keep that way.

I need to play more but the attibutes, the skills, pretty much it is Wasteland 2 system but improved. They seem to have tried actually to diferentiate between weapons this time with the special attacks that weapons have now, machineguns can supress targets and flamers set enemies on fire making them weaker to melee damage. They tried also making the attributes more useful with each of them being useful on combat, lets see if pumping all on initiative is still the winning strategy.

I have a slightly positive attitute to this, I just hope that half of the game isnt tedious filler of endless repetitive combat slogs, Wasteland 2 had a pretty barebones combat system, this one seems to be an improvement but it isnt a revolution on the previous one, this remains definitely not a mechanically rich combat rpg, hope they have a balance between combat, stat checks and exploration this time, Ag Center, Rail Nomads and other combat slog areas on Arizona, drove me nuts on Wasteland 2. Too early to see retardation on the story yet, lets see. Have to say that the solution they got for you becoming the leader of the rangers by murdering all on them right on the tutorial was a bit silly, at this point, the Patriarch would do better sending you back and mount an army himself to take out his kids if it is for him to pay the bills anyway but whatever, it isnt serious stuff.

Cnaiur

Augur
Killed a synth instead of locking him up in my Ranger HQ. Did lock up Brian Fargo however, curious if he'll break out later in the game.

Shooting feels nice, hammy writing saved somewhat by decent voice acting, quite some skill checks although still a heavy emphasis on combat (which I like). Playing on Ranger difficulty, not too many difficult fights except for the one where I immediately went to the caravan and encountered mobs that were well above my paygrade. Fortunately your vehicle packs a punch and destroyed 90% by driving over them. 10/10 - always bring a car to a gunfight.

orcinator

Liturgist
Does it have the same lazy level design as WL2 where enemies hung out around obvious combat areas filled with cover but everything around the area was bare and you could shoot them with a sniper from max range to force them into an open field?

Last edited:
Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
So what's the verdict, should I coop the inevitable Definitive Director's Edition Cut or not bother with this shit anymore?

The Great Deceiver

Trickster
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
InXile need a competent art director, stat; it still has that distinct shovelware signature - the UI, the portraits, the game itself look awful.

That said I'm enjoying it so far.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
So far so good.

No technical hiccups or bugs and the game is fairly fun to play. Voiceacting is passable... it doesn't hurt my ears to listen. Combat is good enough so far.

But few caveats I that irked me a bit from what little I've played...

- I absolutely hate that the skillchecks are deterministic now.
- It seems that characterbuild variety might not be that great later on, and that there might be little room for different runthroughs aside from story/mission choices. Not sure, but it feels like that after a few levelups.
- The interfaces in general are a bit unintuitive and messy.
- I do not like the dialog UI.
- And the writing seems a tad forced at times.

But aside from those, I'm having fun so far.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom