Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 3 + Battle of Steeltown and Cult of the Holy Detonation Expansions Thread

Rieser

Scholar
That fight showcased to me how useful the animal whisperer skill is. Even though they deal little damage themselves, having a couple of easily replaceable pets to soak up hits is very valuable.

You can also zig-zag through the clones and turn off the turret, like Alienman mentioned. You don't need to have stealth though, the clones walk on specific patrols that leave a gap for anyone to go through. Moreover, there's a couple of Weird Science (or was it Nerd Stuff? I forget) checks at the console in the back. The first is 3, second 4. I only had 3 so I couldn't test the second check, but from the info it gave it sounded like you might be able to skip the fight entirely by fragging the clones' brains remotely.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
The easiest way to win any fight is to have a character with +15% explosive background, 25% explosive quirk, 10 int from the start and to rush explosives & sneaky shit with it - first 5/5, then up to 10 sneaky (with book). Sneaky 300% multiplier applies to rocket launcher and so you start any tough battle with a friendly rocket sent - on a crit, mid-game launcher does 5000 (five thousand) damage, evaporating pretty much anything on the supreme jerk difficulty. Then it's up to the rest of the team to mop up whatever remains.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The gap between certain weapon classes is outrageous.

HMS, Shotguns, rockets, are all *dramatically* better than single shot it feels like. Brawling 10 as well.

Assault rifles and snipers being pretty awful is a pleasant surprise to be sure, most RPGs have them as the opposite.

Also seems like things changed between beta and release, so you should max stats to 10

Xeon

Augur
Yeah, the thieves behind the marshals kinda sucked, since didn't have good cover and if I get little closer they start dialogue and start first every time. 1 Rocket wiped half of them and I started first for combat.

jf8350143

Liturgist
Did the merchant ever restock? My armoury guy is still selling low level shit, the only reason to go there is to buy bullets now.

Quillon

Arcane
Just arrived at Bizarre; even with MS moneh InXile produced a indie-tier janky af game again + so much QOL stuff missing, will be there for director's cut prolly... otherwise its better than WL2 so far :P

Jrpgfan

Erudite

HMS, Shotguns, rockets, are all *dramatically* better than single shot it feels like. Brawling 10 as well.

Assault rifles and snipers being pretty awful is a pleasant surprise to be sure, most RPGs have them as the opposite.

Also seems like things changed between beta and release, so you should max stats to 10
Snipers are strong. It's just people are building it around awareness instead of coordination and int. Sniper weapons already have high hit chance, high penetration and hit like a mule, so the goal should be getting 2 shots per turn out of it, which should be doable with death wish or serial killer trait. And with goat killer background, tomcat, int and weapon modding(and third eye "debuff" if you're lucky) you get very high crit chance early on which is much better than the marginal hit chance bonus you get from awareness(that you get 4x more from the sniper skill).

Enviado de meu SM-G950F usando o Tapatalk

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Wait so this is OK? W2 was just OK but I did finish it. Should I buy this? Maybe I should finish my W2DC run while PFK is in patch mode.

edit: $60 lol. I meant should I buy it on sale.

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
Wait so this is OK? W2 was just OK but I did finish it. Should I buy this? Maybe I should finish my W2DC run while PFK is in patch mode.
Been playing a few hours on gamepass , yes its good, excellent even i dare to say, its 5 am and should stop playing now , better than wl2 indeed. Clearly combat is better,not seen trash fights and at higher diffculties its tactical enough for my tastes, like new xcom, dont expect destroyable environement .Everything is better without any doubts, a true rpg even as i was spending time in character creation and planning builds . Its very linear so dont expect freedom like fallout, but not really a flaw ,better linear hand crafted content than pseudo freedom and filler fights. Guess inxile's problem was money as they deliver something more polished this time, this is their best game so far.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter

Snipers are strong. It's just people are building it around awareness instead of coordination and int. Sniper weapons already have high hit chance, high penetration and hit like a mule, so the goal should be getting 2 shots per turn out of it, which should be doable with death wish or serial killer trait. And with goat killer background, tomcat, int and weapon modding(and third eye "debuff" if you're lucky) you get very high crit chance early on which is much better than the marginal hit chance bonus you get from awareness(that you get 4x more from the sniper skill).

Enviado de meu SM-G950F usando o Tapatalk

I am now restarting the game again for the eleventh time.

Thanks for the info.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I've been "demo-ing" games on pirate sites my entire life with no vpn, I'm 43. Never had an issue with an ISP. Things may be different in murica.

Same, "demo" stuff all the time, had a couple warning emails years ago but nothing happened. Not in murica tho...

In kwa land the only warnings I've gotten were from HBO shows or music. But I've probably only demoed half a dozen games in the last decade without a VPN, the last being ME:A a few years go. What a waste of bandwidth that was for a game I played maybe 30 minutes.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Not sure I understand how the combat works. I'm playing on hard so maybe that has something to do with it (bonuses and shit?). I don't find the game really that hard, but it constantly confuse me. For an example; my guys sit behind cover and an enemy burst fire on them, and for some reason every single bullet hit and does massive damage. And I think I got pretty good armor rating, at least compared to them. Anyway, when I retaliate with the same kind of weapon, the damage is pitiful, even on enemies with really low armor. Same with my melee guy, he is super strong, got melee skills but the only time he does any real damage is when he crits, while melee enemies wreck my guys with normal attacks. I'm sure my characters are far from optimal, but I just don't get the huge difference between the NPCs and my chars. Am I missing something crucial when it comes to the combat? I try to flank and stuff too, but so far most arenas have been pretty small.

Noticed that grenades, AOE in general seem really good, also auto-turrets wreck everything and they are fairly cheap to buy... maybe that's the way to go without having every battle turn into healing bonanza?

Another thing. One thing that really annoys me is how many combat scenarios start- It forces you to chat with the enemy and then the combat auto-starts. Many times I would have loved to try to sneak in to try to disable turrets and stuff like that. Really strange design I think.

Not sure I understand how the combat works. I'm playing on hard so maybe that has something to do with it (bonuses and shit?). I don't find the game really that hard, but it constantly confuse me. For an example; my guys sit behind cover and an enemy burst fire on them, and for some reason every single bullet hit and does massive damage. And I think I got pretty good armor rating, at least compared to them. Anyway, when I retaliate with the same kind of weapon, the damage is pitiful, even on enemies with really low armor.
Another thing. One thing that really annoys me is how many combat scenarios start- It forces you to chat with the enemy and then the combat auto-starts. Many times I would have loved to try to sneak in to try to disable turrets and stuff like that. Really strange design I think.
I'm not positive, but I think some enemies may have deceptively higher HP/armor than they look like. The clones are a good example, they're really fucking beefy (In part because they tend to shrink you which reduces damage) but they're only shown wearing lab coats. It's possible that some WL3 enemies have their armor cosmetics hidden like you can do on your party, so they're jacking up the difficulty while giving them a consistent look. Wild speculation on my part but I've noticed that too, and I'm also playing on hard. Might also be a matter of different amounts of HP, proportionally it looks way worse when one of my wimps takes damage rather than my 10 strength beefcake with the medical marvel trait.

As for being forced to start combat scenarios in dialog, that's true in SOME cases. It's made a little more awkward and save-scummy since you aren't sure where the exact trigger for dialog is, so you can sneak in some situations and not in others, but you can usually kick off combat by forcing attack on someone. Case in point, that encounter in the tutorial where the raider is holding Sandbags McGee the ranger hostage. If you advance, dialog triggers and if you have a point of smart ass or hard ass you can talk, otherwise she kills the prisoner. If you don't advance, you can have your sniper pop her in the head before dialog and save Sandbags to sit around uselessly at ranger HQ.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Not sure I understand how the combat works. I'm playing on hard so maybe that has something to do with it (bonuses and shit?). I don't find the game really that hard, but it constantly confuse me. For an example; my guys sit behind cover and an enemy burst fire on them, and for some reason every single bullet hit and does massive damage. And I think I got pretty good armor rating, at least compared to them. Anyway, when I retaliate with the same kind of weapon, the damage is pitiful, even on enemies with really low armor.
I'm not positive, but I think some enemies may have deceptively higher HP/armor than they look like. The clones are a good example, they're really fucking beefy (In part because they tend to shrink you which reduces damage) but they're only shown wearing lab coats. It's possible that some WL3 enemies have their armor cosmetics hidden like you can do on your party, so they're jacking up the difficulty while giving them a consistent look. Wild speculation on my part but I've noticed that too, and I'm also playing on hard. Might also be a matter of different amounts of HP, proportionally it looks way worse when one of my wimps takes damage rather than my 10 strength beefcake with the medical marvel trait.

As for being forced to start combat scenarios in dialog, that's true in SOME cases. It's made a little more awkward and save-scummy since you aren't sure where the exact trigger for dialog is, so you can sneak in some situations and not in others, but you can usually kick off combat by forcing attack on someone. Case in point, that encounter in the tutorial where the raider is holding Sandbags McGee the ranger hostage. If you advance, dialog triggers and if you have a point of smart ass or hard ass you can talk, otherwise she kills the prisoner. If you don't advance, you can have your sniper pop her in the head before dialog and save Sandbags to sit around uselessly at ranger HQ.

Yeah, you are probably correct. Seems there is a lot of hidden random stats on enemies, because some of these random mooks are freaking monsters. While the game isn't impossible, I mean, so far I have survived everything thrown at me, but I got to say some combat scenarios are tedious as hell thanks to this bloat. No fun watching your decked out sniper do 34 damage on a dude with 400 in health. Takes forever to kill them.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
30kgdbb8f0k51.jpg

:lol:

Yeah, you are probably correct. Seems there is a lot of hidden random stats on enemies, because some of these random mooks are freaking monsters. While the game isn't impossible, I mean, so far I have survived everything thrown at me, but I got to say some combat scenarios are tedious as hell thanks to this bloat. No fun watching your decked out sniper do 34 damage on a dude with 400 in health. Takes forever to kill them.
No doubt. Especially for sniper rifles, since that "Single shot, this amount of damage" thing is pretty clear. Things like assault rifles that fire in bursts there's more potential (You'd think) for variance since it looks like each bullet gets a hit chance from the burst, but once in a while when you get a sniper rifle whiff it seems odd. Not entirely sure if enemies have a luck stat, too. I haven't seen the hoseshoe pop up over an enemy but they can apparently get regular crits at least, but I don't know about luck-dodges or luck-crits. I was going to say they might not get a lucky action but if you don't see the animation for when it triggers, it's not like I could easily tell if an enemy had an extra action during his round.

And then on top of all that, I'm almost positive that the tooltip on strength is fucked up. At 1 point of strength it has no mention of con-per-level, but at 2 and 3 points it lists con-per-level. But raising a character from 1 strength to 2 doesn't retroactively give you that con-per-level but hitting every OTHER break point for strength does. So I assume the tooltip on 1 strength is wrong. Like you mentioned, it's not so hard that it's completely ballbusting to be left in the dark, but it is a little unpleasant.

A6D162E054EB448A00277940BEE2F15AE09C2A27

25A6160ECC5EA8B7BC6DE5222A3C6DBD5837FD5F

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
you can have your sniper pop her in the head before dialog and save Sandbags to sit around uselessly at ranger HQ.

In regards to the private you can save in the tutorial:

She can join you later after she has recovered. She starts with a really high mechanics skill.

Last edited:

Brickfrog

Learned
When I brought my sniper from 1 to 2 strength at level 10ish it brought him from 70 con to around 110 . Im pretty sure that the con per level was working retroactively for me.

Game is alright. Better than Wasteland 2. Looks nice and plays nice. Combat is the same as before for the most part but there are all sorts of special abilities and such depending on the weapon you've equipped. And there seems to be a fuckload of handcrafted/unique weapons. The "weird science" weapons are pretty interesting. Character builds are flexible and good. Have encountered a lot of C&C which is nice. Haven't finished the game though so I couldn't say how they all pan out. There seems to be lots of customization going on from the character apperances, to the car, to the base etc. The feminazi/"muh inclusivity" thing is not on the nose despite what you might think. It seems to be handling the stuff sensibly, unlike The Outer Bores which was disgusting in that department. Also, I'm enjoying the writing and worldbuilding quite a bit which is a surprise even to mysellf. At the very least, I'm not cringing every 5 minutes like it did with TOW.

One thing I'd say about character builds and the party in general is that since you have 6 ppl in the party, and you can hire recruits with skills and have unique companions, there are very few checks that you won't pass. In fact, I believe you could easily 100% the game in one playthrough as far as passing checks are concerned. Just organize your party in a way that you have somone proficient in each field. This, I believe, might seriously hamper the game's replay value.

The music and the way it's implemented in the game is imo fantastic. It's a bit difficult to explain but it's as if the music tracks are handpicked to fit the combat scenarios. Their lyrics match the "moral implications" of the choice that led to the fight.

Lastly, the game does seem to provide a decent amount of options in how you wanna handle combat scenarios. Almost every encounter i've had so far has had some sort of interactivity to it. From breaking a generator to disable a turret, to using solar rays to fry enemies, or straight up destroy all the enemies by messing with a device in the case of the clones.

Last edited:
And then on top of all that, I'm almost positive that the tooltip on strength is fucked up.

Nothing is Retroactive.. So bonus skills per Int or bonus Con per Strength really scuffs your character if you take them too late.
Odd design choice.
But I posted a pair of screenshots showing the retroactive HP in that very reply.

you can have your sniper pop her in the head before dialog and save Sandbags to sit around uselessly at ranger HQ.

She can join you later after she has recovered. She starts with a really high mechanics skill.
Glad to hear that, though I may not take her just 'cause my party's already got that covered. In fact I'm pretty sure I'm going to be hosed on companions since I don't fancy my chances of finding "Heavy weapons barter guy" or "Explosive toaster repairman". Might be pleasantly surprised but that's also on me for making my starting 4 pretty generic.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
And then on top of all that, I'm almost positive that the tooltip on strength is fucked up.

Nothing is Retroactive.. So bonus skills per Int or bonus Con per Strength really scuffs your character if you take them too late.
Odd design choice.
But I posted a pair of screenshots showing the retroactive HP in that very reply.

Glad to hear that, though I may not take her just 'cause my party's already got that covered. In fact I'm pretty sure I'm going to be hosed on companions since I don't fancy my chances of finding "Heavy weapons barter guy" or "Explosive toaster repairman". Might be pleasantly surprised but that's also on me for making my starting 4 pretty generic.

I don't think it will be a massive problem down the line. It seems as though you can quite easily master at least 2-3 skills on each character (probably 3 if you are strategic about skill books, only using them on the last rank etc).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom