Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Josh Sawyer Q&A Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Codex Year of the Donut
Not sure what his problem with the Forecaster was. Doesn't seem out of place with the other Psykers from the first one.
The Forecaster doesn't really say anything supernatural at all: https://fallout.gamepedia.com/The_Forecaster's_dialogue

A chick called Veronica hangs out twenty feet away from him, and the NCR and Legion are going to clash again over Vegas. Hardly Nostradamus
He's wearing a psychic nullifier for a reason.
Not sure what his problem with the Forecaster was. Doesn't seem out of place with the other Psykers from the first one.
He previously said that the forecaster was directly inspired by Fallout. He's not that different from Gideon, pretty much the same exact condition.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/629360398378975232/hallo-josh-ich-spiele-derzeit-die-beiden-pillars

Google Translate said:
idropthatshit asked:

Hi Josh, I'm currently playing the two Pillars of Eternity through again, did you ever think of developing a game in a historical setting like this?

No ... or not a game so as Pillars / BG.

If I were to play a historical game of exploration, combat, and isometric overview (and friends, that's honestly not an indication), I would develop the combat system and the world differently.

A game like Darklands (e.g.) is incredibly big. You can't encompass the entire HHR in 100 or 200 scenes. Exploring in a large historical game would be better with handmade AND procedural scenes (mixed) on a large world map.

I would also like to develop a turn-based combat system. I think that's better for (smaller, less) battles.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Pillars looks bland. Mask of the Betrayer and Dungeon Siege 3 are the best-looking Obsidian games.
PoE base game already looks very good on its own, but The White March is where it gets incredibly beautiful:
pillars-of-eternity-v1-445407.jpg
ss_2f302017963ae297f43d68e7708c0d51c44568cb.jpg
2b669242437fceea25db9f795bd41529.jpg
Deadfire is gorgeous from the very first area to the very last:
ss_415508d81560ac70c36b130afd94970f10da15601920x1080_jpg_800x0_crop_upscale_q85.jpg
Deadfire-10-800x450.jpg
5scrmax1.jpg
908607.jpg
pillarseternity2_2584293b.jpg
I wonder if the perspective is the same as the IE games. This is great modder map fodder.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I wonder if the perspective is the same as the IE games. This is great modder map fodder.
PoE actually uses two separate perspectives depending on if it's outside or inside.
ZlBpm2u.png
Very nice, thanks! Although I’m not sure that’s a technically accurate representation of Fallout’s perspective (oblique cavalier).

also, how very obsidian of OE to use two perspectives and thus increase their cost / QC burden. There’s such a thing as “too cute”.

Flying Dutchman

Learned
One day Sawyer will become a real boy and finally experience a much-needed epiphany on how to design something entertaining for human beings.

I kid, I kid.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Still don't care for his mindset.

He always comes off as on the spectrum or something. He doesn't really know what 'fun' is like a regular person, nor how to enjoy himself. His form of fun seems like it's forced or something he has to engage in, or it appeases some weird mental hunger.

Case in point, the dude can't help but point out flaws in game design. He even gives an example of that which occurred to him in college. Friend created a game world and such, and all invited him to play it and critique. He basically showed how unbalanced some things are by min-maxing and, as he put it, breaking the system.

Like, if he played Underrail all he'd bitch about is how assault rifle tank is too easy to play, and how some builds can breeze thru combat while others struggle. But he'd miss the fact which everyone else sees: that's the point. You try different things, enjoy challenges. Some builds are easy, some are extremely difficult. If they're all the same, then what's the point of replaying?

College example shows how he wants to force the player to play a certain way, NOT allow them to experience the game. If they can do something he doesn't like, it's broken and risks being unfun. He's not an RPG dev. He's too controlling. Dude's a nanny-stater.

This is why I played POE like twice, while I've put in 800 hours in Underrail. Well, not the only reason, but a big one.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
It's really not, especially if you beat the game every time you play it through.

I don't. I actually enjoy creating and testing out some of the builds, getting to the point where it starts getting easier.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Listen, I'm paying attention to this thread now and all I'm gonna do is shit on the guy because I can't stand him. The fucker just rubs me the wrong way, so fuck him. And while Styg has been going back and rebalancing underrail, he's also been adding to it so it. Plus his rebalancing doesn't bug me.

Meanwhile Sawyer just irks the fuck out of me with his bikes, hipsterism, teetotaler drunken status, fake cool with meaningful tattoos faggot shit.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

https://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/629735025591664640/hi-josh-thank-you-for-enriching-my-life-with-so

ch3m1kal asked:

Hi Josh, thank you for enriching my life with so many amazing games over the years. I hope non game questions are ok, because, as a motorcycle ethusiast, I was wondering if you still ride things with engines in them, or is it all bicycles all the time? And if yes what is it you get out of bicycles that you didn't out of motorcycles.

Hello. I don’t really ride motorcycles anymore. I have two cars that are always kind of “project” vehicles (a 1985 Volkswagen Vanagon/T3 and a 1967 Fiat 500F) and a bunch of bicycles. I actually got rid of my Triumph last winter because I hadn’t used it in over 9 months and I only rode it a couple of times every year.

I still do have two motorcycles, but they’re in Wisconsin and neither of them are running (a 1969 Honda CL350 and a 1967 Honda CL160). They only need a little bit of work (new ignition coil on the former, rebuilding the carbs on the latter), but whenever I’m in Wisconsin, I usually spend any free time I have on a bicycle riding around.

0e77bed194a3b595f65285eef4d8ed7e1ab93892.png

I feel safer on bicycles than I do on motorcycles, which might seem weird, but on freeways I always have to be incredibly defensive. Obviously I have to be safe on a bicycle as well, but most of that involves staying where I’m supposed to be on the road and paying attention to what’s going on around me.

Bicycles are pretty quiet and it’s nice to be in nature making minimal noise, both for my own sake for the sake of the creatures around me. It’s easy to park a bicycle, get off, and walk around. Bicycles are also just easier to work on. While there’s still grease, there’s no oil and nothing electrical (at least not on the bikes I ride). They’re easy to throw around in a garage. Parts are more interchangeable on bikes than motorcycles. I was never much of a motorcycle or car mechanic, but I’m a pretty good amateur bicycle mechanic (I’m sure I don’t compare to a pro in a shop, but…).

I still like motorcycles and I still have my gear in case I get the itch or opportunity to ride in the future, but my passion for it is lower than it was 10 years ago.

e8e7762bb47c83666dbe3dc643d14acfc8c06f0b.png

https://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/629735678990811136/hey-josh-just-asking-the-question-i-asked

sufjan-ochs asked:

Hey Josh, just asking the question I asked previously again, apologies if I’m a pest! So, since you’re big into cycling as a hobby, what brands of bikes could you recommend for someone for general use, just looking to ride around my general vicinity and get some exercise in. (Pre-assembled bikes would be what I have in mind, as I have no knowledge of or desire to build my own). Any suggestions would be appreciated! :) P.S- I hope your wounds from your recent crash heal soon!

One thing I would suggest is to avoid Wal-Mart bikes or anything new that’s in the sub-$400 range. They’re demonstrably unsafe and may be extremely frustrating/unenjoyable.

Though it’s great that so many people are getting into/back into cycling during the pandemic, a side effect is that many bike shops have been sold out for months. It may be easier and more price-effective to find a used bike through Craigslist or equivalent. Obviously only consider bikes that have been well-maintained or barely-ridden.

Setting aside specific brands or models, there are two things that are very important: you like how the bike feels to ride and you like how it looks. If you like how the bike feels to ride, you are more likely to ride it. If you like how it looks, you will also be more likely to ride it.

Sometimes people recommend bikes that they think someone “should” ride and ignore what makes them feel good and happy. What I enjoy and am used to riding (road bikes with drop bars and unpadded leather saddles that sit higher than the handlebars) will probably not be what you enjoy.

For that reason, it’s very important that you see the bike in person and take the opportunity to ride it. Only think about how many gears it has in relation to the riding you’re going to do. Yeah, if you’re doing a lot of hills, you will probably need a bike that has a cassette in the back with 7+ gears. If you’re just doing mostly flat stuff, anything will be fine.

Get a bike with handlebars that you’re comfortable on, a saddle you’re comfortable on, and aesthetics that make you want to keep looking at the bike. If you get really into cycling, you can swap out parts/the entire bike later. For just getting into it, your comfort and enjoyment are the most important things.

Thanks for the well-wishes re: my crash injuries. They’re mostly healed and I’ll probably get back on my road bike in the next few days.

Good luck.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom