Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

wahrk

Learned
It does feel like there’s at least 5-10 hours of a game missing at the end. There should have been one more major segment and final boss, at the very least. But I do agree that the story is very meh regardless, unfinished or not. HR wasn’t a masterpiece in that regard but there was at least a sense of a mystery you were unraveling. Here, it feels like they broadcast everything from the beginning - ARC is being set up, illuminati are behind it all - and then everything plays out exactly as you expect it to.

kangaxx

Arbiter
Agree. I found the story dull, but the gameplay was fun. And it looks pretty.

Deus Ex needs to somehow recapture the 'globetrotting epic conspiracy' feel in its next installment.

Sinatar

Arbiter
You wanted more from the ending?

It's a prequel to Deus Ex. Guess what, Adam Jensen fails to accomplish literally anything.

Bob Page: Still around
The Illuminati: Still around

There's your ending. Jensen fails. He's a useless fuck who doesn't do a god damned thing.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
You wanted more from the ending?

It's a prequel to Deus Ex. Guess what, Adam Jensen fails to accomplish literally anything.

Bob Page: Still around
The Illuminati: Still around

There's your ending. Jensen fails. He's a useless fuck who doesn't do a god damned thing.
You ever watch the TV show Angel? Its basic message is that keeping up the good fight is preferable to giving up even if failure is guaranteed. Maybe you should try giving it a watch sometime.

Avarize

Magister
if they made another deus ex today, it wouldn't have a cool conspiracy plot, because the SJWs who control the industry all associate questioning the narrative as "alt right wrong think"
Just make the conspiracy about US government ties to foreign dictators and it's kosher.

Terenty

Liturgist
A bit off topic but, is there a mod for the original Deus Ex that removes all those out of place crates with ammo? Every time i replay it i have to pretend they are not there, very annoying

cosmicray

Savant
Love playing it and I'm quite far in the game, but damn, I shouldn't have enabled Social Enhancer, should I? Every "boss" conversation is an insta-win because of this. I haven't learned my mistake from HR.

Gargaune

Magister
Love playing it and I'm quite far in the game, but damn, I shouldn't have enabled Social Enhancer, should I? Every "boss" conversation is an insta-win because of this. I haven't learned my mistake from HR.
Yeah, the idea of a an augmentation to "hack people" was interesting, but the execution was very limited and uninspired, it ironically ends up diminishing your roleplaying experience since you switch to focusing on your HUD instead of what the NPC is saying. At the same time, if you choose not to install it you're locking yourself out of a few resolution options, as there are some situations that have additional outcomes exclusively for CASIE. Not that many, but they're there.

It would've been better if they'd just bit the bullet by introducing a proper persuasion system with CASIE as one of their skill augs (like weapon handling and hacking), rather than have it function as a boolean feat.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
if they made another deus ex today, it wouldn't have a cool conspiracy plot, because the SJWs who control the industry all associate questioning the narrative as "alt right wrong think"

The reason why they can't do another Deus Ex game is because they already used all the good conspiracy theories. We know they were correct now as we are now living in the first games world sans the Augmentations but they're coming. There are some things Deus Ex didn't cover but those are the out there to the point where it would break Deus Ex's entire story as it was you'd have to base the entire game off of it from the start. There are some ideas that exist in cyberpunk as a genre though that Deus Ex didn't even touch on which are valid as the idea that our governments and global elites are interested in creating such technologies or such organisations. The concept that our face value world is built on lies is something at the core of Deus Ex the semiotics of it is far far deeper than anything even the original game covered.

The issue I've seen so far is that there's a lot of censorship going on. Its hard to get evidence on any conspiracy theory now which makes it hard to make games about it. You have to focus on what we do know that does exist and what people refuse to accept. This is why Deus Ex was as potent as it was. They based all of the conspiracies off of things that had a lore and background that was detailed and provable to some degree. Then they ramped it up by adding 50 years.

cosmicray

Savant
Yeah, the idea of a an augmentation to "hack people" was interesting, but the execution was very limited and uninspired, it ironically ends up diminishing your roleplaying experience since you switch to focusing on your HUD instead of what the NPC is saying. At the same time, if you choose not to install it you're locking yourself out of a few resolution options, as there are some situations that have additional outcomes exclusively for CASIE. Not that many, but they're there.
I think I decided to try it exclusively because I thought it would provide more choices. Interruptions are uncommon, though. Also, too bad there is no option to disable not just specific only, but any augmentation.
I liked Allison Stanek encouner so much, that I wish I wasn't relying on my HUD to "defeat" her.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I'm a couple hours into this game and I can't say I'm impressed with spending 75% of the time either in a cutscene or walking somewhere for a cutscene.

cosmicray

Savant
I wish they wouldn't throw you into combat-oriented first mission in Prague just right after the similar action-packed tutorial-ish mission. I couldn't get into this game for another half a year after that one-two punch. But, once you get enough freedom to pace it however you like, game feels great.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I wish they wouldn't throw you into combat-oriented first mission in Prague just right after the similar action-packed tutorial-ish mission. I couldn't get into this game for another half a year after that one-two punch. But, once you get enough freedom to pace it however you like, game feels great.
Are you talking about the mission to reach Koller? Yeah, I suppose there isn't a whole lot to do except fight the Dvali thugs or sneak past them.

But the first path to Koller's place leads you right into the ID Forgery sidequest, which is very different from the Dubai tutorial and was the first quest I played in Prague.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
IDK. I'm 6 hours in and there's been one actual mission so far, to reach Talos Rucker. Everything else is like "go to this house and talk to a guy, then come back" or killing a couple guys in a house. This doesn't look or play like a Deus Ex game.

kangaxx

Arbiter
IDK. I'm 6 hours in and there's been one actual mission so far, to reach Talos Rucker. Everything else is like "go to this house and talk to a guy, then come back" or killing a couple guys in a house. This doesn't look or play like a Deus Ex game.

I think the game somewhat suffers a bit from being mostly located in Prague. You need to rob every flat and business in the city to get the most out of it really.

Avarize

Magister
It doesn't get better.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I finished it. The second half was better than the first half, but holy shit this game is short and insubstantial. I counted 4 proper missions: Golem City, Bank, GARM, Apex Centre. At least there was only 1 boss fight instead of 4 like in HR. The ending was very underwhelming; your choice is "save these people who have been poisoned, or don't".

I only spent a dollar on this game, so I feel like I got my money's worth.

Gargaune

Magister
I finished it. The second half was better than the first half, but holy shit this game is short and insubstantial. I counted 4 proper missions: Golem City, Bank, GARM, Apex Centre. At least there was only 1 boss fight instead of 4 like in HR. The ending was very underwhelming; your choice is "save these people who have been poisoned, or don't".

I only spent a dollar on this game, so I feel like I got my money's worth.
I didn't feel it was insubstantial at all, but then again I enjoyed fucking around in Prague more than I did the missions. The ending you got might be contingent on whether you went after Stanek or played whipping boy for Janus, the full scope of the finale is to either cast Neutralise Poison on the delegates or stop Marchenko from casting Fireball at the nearby building, or hurry up and do both if you picked up some macguffins along the way. The epilogue is underwhelming either way, but eh.

Also check out the DLC if you've got it, the first one's rather thin, but the other two are pretty good.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
This doesn't look or play like a Deus Ex game.
There is only one Deus Ex game.

9cw1nu93sv451.jpg

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
So, after upgrading my computer and this game actually running in a playable state, I decided to continue it and have some thoughts. I'm at my second visit to Prague after the Talos Rucker mission. First the good bits. The levels are quite impressive and massive, with a bajillion ways to go through them and little bits of lore and correspondence scattered throughout. They also contain side content that can help you out on the main path (like saving that one dude's brother). This isn't all that surprising because that is what Deus Ex is known for and luckily what Human Revolution tried to preserve. Surprisingly enough, I don't find Adam Jensen as bland as in HR. He strikes me as not knowing exactly what he's doing and just kind of whinging it as the plot unfolds. He doesn't worry about that baggage ex-gf of his anymore and he's better off for it. He also doesn't have a whole team of people babysitting him all the time like in HR. This version of him has potential to go somewhere. I know it won't, but there you go. I'm not entirely sure why he's working with the Juggernaut Collective, but I might have forgotten that whole backstory since the last time I played it. I just don't remember why we are spying on TF29 on behalf of that mulatto chick, to the point of installing a bug on their motherboard. That, however, makes him seem like he has his own motivations and reasons for doing whatever he is doing, and is no longer just following what Serif or his gf is telling him to do.

The one kind of bad part is the story is bland. I don't care about any of this and the Czech creating literal concentration camps to keep augmented people inside is a) a bit on the nose, and b) a bit unbelievable. The only way I realistically see this happening is controlling the distribution of neuropozyn, which kind of happens not as a governmental policy but as a matter of scarcity. Which is not the same thing. This oppression of the augmented drowns out everything else, as if nothing else ever happens or is important*. Not only that, but it doesn't gel well with Deus Ex 1. I don't buy into the fact Adam "struggles with discrimination", to me that looks like the rich complaining about "anti-rich propaganda/discrimination". Oh, I'm sorry, it must be so fucking hard for you being a very well-off Übermensch that can lift cars and fly through the air and shit. Is there really no other cyberpunk story you could be telling? I suppose points should be awarded for originality within this setting, but it's dumb and I hate it. This very mushy and nothing writing is what is keeping these games from reaching Deus Ex 1. Yeah, the gameplay is more popamole, but it's close enough that with the right context it could be overlooked. Eh, I'll just play Deus Ex 1 again when I finish this so I can better articulate the differences.

*Speaking of, this is kind of the same thing with our current irl situation. Everything is connected somehow to the stupid virus and I'm feeling like there are a lot of things that can be hidden or conveniently go unmentioned due to this overzealous coverage of a single topic. This could've been an interesting venue to explore for Mankind Divided, especially since Adam has connections not only with indie news networks, but also to Picus, the biggest news provider in this universe. The control of information is the elephant in the room in both HR and MD, but it goes untouched and that lack is glaring.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom