Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Now that the dust has settled, can we admit that Disco Elysium is decline?

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Actually even trash mob combat is more fun than what Disco is lol

I am currently clearing a dungeon in dragon age and i can confirm that this is bullshit.

DA came out during the dark ages so it sucks.

Nah , doesn't matter where a game is on the calendar, trash mobs are trash.

Planescape: Torment was released during a great age for RPGs and still its trash combat is boring and lame.

V_K

Arcane
PST has better pacing. Combat, however trash and boring, gives you some downtime between the story bits. DAO on the other hand is paced terribly, both battles and cutscenes just drag on way too long. DE is basically one big long cutscene. Neither gives a terribly good pacing.

barghwata

Savant
That is your fault for expecting good thing from shit games.

Trash combat is trash and drops the quality of games wherever it is, doesn't matter if it's a DA or baldur's gate or PST, trash is trash.

PST has better pacing. Combat, however trash and boring, gives you some downtime between the story bits. DAO on the other hand is paced terribly, both battles and cutscenes just drag on way too long. DE is basically one big long cutscene. Neither gives a terribly good pacing.

Not sure what you mean by cutscenes? cutscenes are shit because they take away agency from the player which rarely ever happens in DE, with the exception of a few in-game cutscenes, as for this stupid argument that games that don't have combat have inherently bad pacing... it just doesn't make any sense. DE is a narrative oriented game that has you playing as a detective solving a case in a civilised and non hostile setting, why the hell would you go around massacring people or fighting rats in sewers, how would that make the game any better, if anything it would just ruin the pacing and break immersion.

barghwata

Savant
You can still click on dialog options during cutscenes, and there's nothing to do in DE except click on dialog options. That makes it into a giant cutscene and ruins the pacing.

Cutscenes are non interactive, if you can choose dialog options, make decisions and pass skill checks (which are all interactions), it's not a cutscene.

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Trash combat is trash and drops the quality of games wherever it is, doesn't matter if it's a DA or baldur's gate or PST, trash is trash.
I disagree, because combat can serve different purposes in an RPG. If combat is one of the main focuses of the game, then it needs to be good.
But in a storyfag rpg with good writing, setting, music, and art, then it just needs to look/sound cool and be over quickly, as well as contributing to a sense of danger and character progression/looting kewl weapons.
I judge a game often by its strongest parts, the weakest parts are only a problem if they get in the way.

barghwata

Savant
as well as contributing to a sense of danger

Trash combat is piss easy, it doesn't contribute to any sense of danger, in fact it ruins it.

I judge a game often by its strongest parts, the weakest parts are only a problem if they get in the way.

I am not saying a game having trash combat makes it automatically shit, i love PST for example, i am just saying it doesn't really help, and takes away time from the stronger aspects of a game if there are any.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
DE is basically one big long cutscene.

GoodRiddanceKonami.jpeg

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
You can still click on dialog options during cutscenes, and there's nothing to do in DE except click on dialog options. That makes it into a giant cutscene and ruins the pacing.

The fact that you do not understand Disco Elysium is somehow acceptable: it's an intellectually challenging game, not for everyone.

But the fact you do not get the concept of a cutscene is quite troubling, if not embarrasing.

Cutscenes do not offer player agency. Choosing dialogue options or passing skillchecks is the opposite of a non interactive ingame movie.

I didn't see this thread until now but everyone shitting on Disco Elysium needs to be rounded up and put to work in a reeducation camp. Disco's certainly got flaws but it's still some top shelf storyfaggotry. :rpgcodex:

Viata

Arcane
The fact that you do not understand Disco Elysium is somehow acceptable: it's an intellectually challenging game, not for everyone.
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Disco Elysium. The humour is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Du Bois's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realise that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Du Bois & Kim Kitsuragi truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Du Bois's existential catchphrase "You take the engine, Kim. I'll hold the boombox," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as ZA/UM's genius wit unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools.. how I pity them.

And yes, by the way, i DO have a Disco Elysium tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid

Manny

Educated
Without intending to get into the topic of whether it is an RPG or not, those who claim DE is an adventure have never played one in their life. DE has no puzzles, neither based on inventory items (Sierra / Lucas) nor space manipulation (Myst); without puzzles, there is no adventure. In fact, its gameplay descends from Planescape: Torment, and no, Planescape doesn't have puzzles either, so it's also far from the adventure category.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I can't know until I actually get it. My eye is on a mutant duck, mutant pig and more from another game. (MYZ "0")

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom