Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 3 + Battle of Steeltown and Cult of the Holy Detonation Expansions Thread

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
is ammo scarsity a thing? in 2 only if everyone had an assualt rifle ammo was a problem.
Playing on Ranger and so far it's p. bad for my sniper. Found only 6 or so sniper bullets in the early game so I've been mostly using my Assault Weapon. I'm sure I'll get richer later on but scarcity seems to be a thing.

Must be really unlucky. I think I had like 30 spare sniper ammo after the prologue.
Whaaat.

What difficulty?

Doktor Best

Arcane
So thumbs up overall so far, but I'm still going to complain about some stuff that is tedious. Mostly QoL stuff. Anyway, here are the minor annoying things that irritate me so far:

- Some of the early Colorado Springs Skill Checks are crazy hard. There's no way you can be at Lvl 6 Lockpicks or Level 4 Nerd Stuff when you hit these checks, which can stop you in your tracks. I suppose you can create infinite Rangers to cover everything but that feels gamey to me.

This is badly chaffing my balls and poor game design IMHO. Don't gate content behind skill checks that I have ZERO chance of getting and make me have to backtrack to an area. You would literally need a character with no other skill level up except lockpick, mechanics, whatever which is 100% unrealistic for any feasible build. If you want to keep the bar high at least make it in the realm of a build someone may actually use that focuses on the 'soft' skills but this Unobtanium tier skill check is goofy AF.

If you don't do that you will have complaints that you can hit all skill checks easily in one playthrough rendering them unnecessary busywork.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I wonder if there's some sort of ammo bug, I wasn't having a problem with ammo up until the Bazaar, then clearing the warrens and later every ammo box I find has two or three bullets max in them.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
How do melee builds work out? better to just stick with all shooting?

They are insane. I pumped CON as much as possible on my Melee guy and he can tank anything. I also gave him medic so he can heal himself to almost full health at a moments notice.

She draws fire, and the rest of my team obliterate everything else.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Is there other location where you can change party and create custom companions other than Sergei? I don't have that option anymore it got changed into co-op dialogue

In Ranger HQ you can just use ESC and Manage squad. It is not necessary to talk to Sergej at all. As this game is buggy as shit remove old members, close the menu and than open up the squad management again to avoid getting locked into this coop situation, or worse.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
is ammo scarsity a thing? in 2 only if everyone had an assualt rifle ammo was a problem.
Playing on Ranger and so far it's p. bad for my sniper. Found only 6 or so sniper bullets in the early game so I've been mostly using my Assault Weapon. I'm sure I'll get richer later on but scarcity seems to be a thing.

Must be really unlucky. I think I had like 30 spare sniper ammo after the prologue.
Whaaat.

What difficulty?
Ranger.

Xbox Game pass, so no bonus items btw.

I DID raise Luck on my sniper to moderate level (4 or 5).

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
How do melee builds work out? better to just stick with all shooting?

They are insane. I pumped CON as much as possible on my Melee guy and he can tank anything. I also gave him medic so he can heal himself to almost full health at a moments notice.

She draws fire, and the rest of my team obliterate everything else.

Yeah, I gave mine the +6 Armor quirk and she always gets the heaviest armor I find. No issues. A bit slow, but I'm raising Speed and using leg armor mods to compensate. Will also get the dual melee speed boost perk. Damage with the starter knife was pretty poor, but now I bought her a Fireman Axe (and soon found the road sign blade) and she rocks!

Takamori

Learned
I just finished the game after 41 hours on Ranger difficulty, short compared to the previous one where it took 60 hours to finish if you decide to go through everything.

Indeed its more polished compared to Wasteland 2, looks prettier and what I feared most was the invasion of bazinga tier writing didn't happen that much ,one or dialogue where I cringed hard but the rest was all right.
Looking how short it was it was intentional so you can see the outcome of other choices? So mixed feelings about the extension of this game if the game don't fail hope that instead of DLCs we receive a full expansion, finished the game wanting for more content.

Regarding gameplay, same as previous wasteland games, create a squad don't try redudant skills or you will harm yourself by lock options. The encounters could use some BALANCE MAN touch, they were too easy, like in theory Ranger difficult meant to be hard. I'm gonna boot on Supreme Jerk next week after my vacation from work start and see if it gets better.

Gear still suffer from the Tier garbage, this gun is better than this and require X amount of skill, some guns lack higher tier stuff so you stop at tier 7 for a long time until the end of the game where you pick a T9 version of it just to use in the final fight. Encounters are mostly with RNG loot with occasional special encounters with tailored loot so thats a downside for me. The bright side now you can see your armor equipped and even choose to see if it show up, had fun with Scotchmo wearing a power armor without the helmet Ultra Tech Hobo.
But overall the itemization of this game is pretty weak and could use some balance too.

The story was a bit chaotic and messy at least on the path that I choose, wish they fleshed out the Patriarch and his sons more. The side stories were fun but it needed more, because you had these sparse stories of Colorado out there but you fail to bound with the people out there.

Its a 7.5 game, it sure lacks polishing in some areas, but I wouldn't lie to you guys and say that my experience was miserable, I had fun with it.

Takamori

Learned
Also Luck is a broken stat, must have for everyone. Be able to RNG extra attacks, crits and actions is fucking broken.

INT is the new dump stat, you get extra points for character creation and thats it pretty fucking dumb (accidental pun)

Also don't be retarded like me and pick whoever offered first to serve your base you will regret later, trust me.

birb

Novice
Just started, already hate the intro.
Reminds me of a Fallout 4 style intro where they want you hooked to the excitement(Big explosion! Minigun! Deathclaw!), so in the first 30 minutes of combat my level 1 rangers have wiped out a gang, fought two powerful robots, taken control of a giant laser beam, got a rocket launcher, have killed like, 10x our number, etc.

People getting blown up and getting their heads shot off and weird baby head bombs under ice! :bounce:

I prefer the Fallout style progression where the early game is "smaller" scale and you're introduced to the cool shit over time.(Wasteland 2 was like this, so the first time you encounter the robots in the Wasteland always felt memorable/scary, D:OS was as well)
I mean, this probably won't really affect whether I like the game as I progress, but I just felt like bitching about these types of "in your face" epic style intro.
(TL;DR: Demo Bait Intro is Gay.)
That kind of strategy keeps average Joes hooked and looks good in playthroughs. It sells the game. They can't please everybody.

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
How would you rate the different weapons? Right now I feel like HMG and shotguns are pretty bad compared to ARs and Sniper Rifles.

Takamori

Learned
How would you rate the different weapons? Right now I feel like HMG and shotguns are pretty bad compared to ARs and Sniper Rifles.

Didnt test HMG yet, going to do next gameplay. But shotguns are demonic in the hands of a Awareness/Luck/Coord Build. Do absurd amounts of damage and be able to kill 4 enemies at the same time during 1 round.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I just finished the game after 41 hours on Ranger difficulty, short compared to the previous one where it took 60 hours to finish if you decide to go through everything.

Indeed its more polished compared to Wasteland 2, looks prettier and what I feared most was the invasion of bazinga tier writing didn't happen that much ,one or dialogue where I cringed hard but the rest was all right.
Looking how short it was it was intentional so you can see the outcome of other choices? So mixed feelings about the extension of this game if the game don't fail hope that instead of DLCs we receive a full expansion, finished the game wanting for more content.

Regarding gameplay, same as previous wasteland games, create a squad don't try redudant skills or you will harm yourself by lock options. The encounters could use some BALANCE MAN touch, they were too easy, like in theory Ranger difficult meant to be hard. I'm gonna boot on Supreme Jerk next week after my vacation from work start and see if it gets better.

Gear still suffer from the Tier garbage, this gun is better than this and require X amount of skill, some guns lack higher tier stuff so you stop at tier 7 for a long time until the end of the game where you pick a T9 version of it just to use in the final fight. Encounters are mostly with RNG loot with occasional special encounters with tailored loot so thats a downside for me. The bright side now you can see your armor equipped and even choose to see if it show up, had fun with Scotchmo wearing a power armor without the helmet Ultra Tech Hobo.
But overall the itemization of this game is pretty weak and could use some balance too.

The story was a bit chaotic and messy at least on the path that I choose, wish they fleshed out the Patriarch and his sons more. The side stories were fun but it needed more, because you had these sparse stories of Colorado out there but you fail to bound with the people out there.

Its a 7.5 game, it sure lacks polishing in some areas, but I wouldn't lie to you guys and say that my experience was miserable, I had fun with it.

So a must buy, when the price drops to 20$.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Just started, already hate the intro.
Reminds me of a Fallout 4 style intro where they want you hooked to the excitement(Big explosion! Minigun! Deathclaw!), so in the first 30 minutes of combat my level 1 rangers have wiped out a gang, fought two powerful robots, taken control of a giant laser beam, got a rocket launcher, have killed like, 10x our number, etc.

Yea intro was cringy AF, and also the obligatory "girl boss" because 2020...

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yo Takamori:

1. How useful are skills like Nerd Stuff or Weird Science?
2. Are the "Ass" skills more useful than in W2? In W2 they were mostly cosmetic, allowing you to skip a few fights and giving you some paltry resources.
3. How plentiful is alcohol? Is the Way of the Squeezins quirk viable?
4. Does Charisma influence who can you hire like it was in W2? In W2 many of the best NPCs were locked behind CHA requirements.
5. INT wasn't exactly a dump stat in W2 but was vastly overrated. People trying to max out their skill gain and by the mid-game having more points they could reasonably use. Seems it's the same deal here?
6. How is ammo scarcity on Ranger?
7. Best/worst gun types?

Thx.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron

Well, it currently can be played for 1 or 5 bucks...

Cnaiur

Augur
Quite impressed with the combat until now (level 11/12, Ranger diff). So far it's never easy with a mixed party (sniper, AR x2, melee/big guns, small guns and healer/runner) and I have to often deploy turrets/decoys or use items for which ammo is relatively scarce like rocket launchers or big energy weapons who burn through energy cells insanely fast. Good examples of this are the fights in the Warrens or against the clown tank, where some enemies can really decimate your party fast if you don't think ahead.

Also, ammo is not plentiful. Yes - I can buy it at Ranger HQ (armory) or random shops, but with limited barter skills money is not infinite (yet). This means that rare ammo (e.g. Rockets) can't be used constantly.

The long reload times are a big annoyance however, especially in a long and combat heavy game like this.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Honestly, sniper rifles and HMGs are what carry me. And a flamethrower. And a rocket launcher. Actually that one is my most valuable. Rockets are expensive but in the right situations they turn the tide. Put them on a character that is fully focused on explosive damage and yeah, it's over.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Well, it currently can be played for 1 or 5 bucks...

In my country there is no Xbox game pass.

Takamori

Learned
Yo Takamori:

1. How useful are skills like Nerd Stuff or Weird Science?
2. Are the "Ass" skills more useful than in W2? In W2 they were mostly cosmetic, allowing you to skip a few fights and giving you some paltry resources.
3. How plentiful is alcohol? Is the Way of the Squeezins quirk viable?
4. Does Charisma influence who can you hire like it was in W2? In W2 many of the best NPCs were locked behind CHA requirement.
5. INT wasn't exactly a dump stat in W2 but was vastly overrated. People trying to max out their skill gain and by the mid-game having more points they could reasonably use. Seems it's the same deal here?
6. How is ammo scarcity on Ranger?
7. Best/worst guns?

Thx.

1- Nerd Stuff can help you with several encounters, Weird Science if you plan to do a guy specced into Energy Weapons and there is a excellent armor piece that require 4 STR and 6 Weird Science if Im not mistaken. Weird Science helps you with some side quest stuff resolution.
2- Decided to do only Kiss ass this run due to my previous experience in W2, better have both if you want to tailor your way around encounters or you will have to solve some stuff through gruesome ways
3.If you have the money you get the alcohol, way of the squeezins is pretty viable
4.Nope only leadership aura radius, how strong is the buff and how much % extra rewards you will receive
5.Sure INT has uses if you are planning to do a crit fisher build but if you are going for the Skill Points its a waste of time, Luck is the superior stat like I mentioned before.
6.A joke never noticed being low on supplies all over my gameplay on ranger
7. Best -
Shotguns
Explosive weapons (Rocket Launcher)
Snipers
Submachine gun tier 7 start destroying stuff since its a spray with x10

Situational-
Energy weapons in general. Done the trick fighting the Scorpitrons

Meh- They are not complete utter shit but the best weapons outshine then.

Assault Rifles- They worked with my AP/Luck build where I could unload a cartridge depending on my luck but several other weapons done the trick better without needing that much of action
Submachine Guns (until tier 7)
Pistols - They pack a punch but lack in range, if you plan to go close combat pick a shotgun

Unknown - Because I didn't test yet
Brawling
Big Guns
Melee Weapons

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I downloaded this and apart from the somewhat sluggish camera I'm enjoying it. Certainly more than WL2 on launch. Even had a few chuckles from the humor.

E: Am I reading this wrong or does the Waste Roamer quirk give immunity to status effects?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom