Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

trash combat or no combat

in rpg, would you rather

• have no combat

• 95% of combat are trash encounters

Results are only viewable after voting.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Tides of Numenera had no trash combat and most people here hated it more than Torment which does because what it did have wasn't good enough. :M

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tides of Numenera had no trash combat and most people here hated it more than Torment which does because what it did have wasn't good enough. :M

Tides of Purple Prose had a lot of problems. Their attempt to limit combat to meaningful encounters was admirable even if they didn't pull it off very well.

I've always liked the Paizo and 3.5 ideal school of encounter design, 3-4 "difficult" encounters per adventure day. It offers a good balance of sapping the party's resources whilst allowing DMs to design reasonable encounters.

V_K

Arcane
The category of trash combat is not about quantity as much as quality. Encounter design in TToN is so uninspired that all of its combat is basically trash, even if there's not that much of it.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I think I'd rather have that trash combat here and there than no combat.

With no combat the rest of the interactivity and gameplay needs some remarkable ideas to fill the same kind of space combat does for the overall gameplay experience. And while I don't think it's impossible to manage, I don't see many developers getting it right since out of combat gameplay seems to be a kinda weak spot across the board.

Nothing's achieved without trying, though.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I would have said rather have trash combat then no combat since I love TOEE even tho the encounters are complete shit. But then again I absolutely love Disco Elysium. I guess it depends on the amount of trash combat, PoE for example became unbearable through the combination of no real rewards, too many super boring encounters and Josh Sawyer

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Tides of Purple Prose had a lot of problems. Their attempt to limit combat to meaningful encounters was admirable even if they didn't pull it off very well.

I've always liked the Paizo and 3.5 ideal school of encounter design, 3-4 "difficult" encounters per adventure day. It offers a good balance of sapping the party's resources whilst allowing DMs to design reasonable encounters.
kangmaker made me realise that I like to create builds that somehow cheat resources, like using aoe intimidate to scare enemies away

Sadly one thing missing in CRPGs is the ability for tailored encounter design that saps certain resources. DMs will often design or modify encounters that will sap a certain character's resources more efficiently than others.

It's often part of a plan to make an encounter down the line harder as it might be the character that would make that fight really easy is now running on fumes.

It's also a good way of giving lower tier classes a chance to feel useful if they get outshone in most encounters.

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
For years, I have longed for an RPG with no combat. Having played one (The Council) and dipped my toes in two more (Disco and Titan Outpost), I now think that the old formula of RPG with avoidable combat is vastly superior.

What I set out to do with Titan Outpost is replace combat with other interesting mechanics that are tied to the character system. The game is an order of magnitude more complex than Disco and actually models and simulates a world where the rules of the system are applied, rather than being a series of scripted events and dialogue checks.

I enjoyed Disco for what it is: An excellent vehicle for Kurvitz's writing with a convincing illusion of agency. Great game, and having the skills act as characters in the PC's internal monologue is a lot of fun, but I don't think it replaced combat with anything approaching the complexity of a good turn-based combat system. For better or worse, Titan Outpost does.

That said, my next game is going to have combat. Not as the main focus, but as one of the pillars.

In regards to the OP, I'd rather have no combat than trash combat. Grinding critters to gain XP is a staple that compensates for the lack of full duplex interactivity you get in PnP, but I never found it enjoyable in CRPGs. At best, it's padding the game time with idle clicking and at worst it's actively annoying the player with damage sponges.

That's a thing RTwP has going for it: Trash combat is less of a nuisance. I'm a turn-based guy all the way, but boy am I glad that Arcanum has a real-time option. It's one of my favorite games, but its combat is about as trash as you can get.

V_K

Arcane
What I set out to do with Titan Outpost is replace combat with other interesting mechanics that are tied to the character system. The game is an order of magnitude more complex than Disco and actually models and simulates a world where the rules of the system are applied, rather than being a series of scripted events and dialogue checks.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying your game is the same as DE, and I absolutely have no business commenting on the depth of its systems since I only played it for an hour or so before deciding to wait for patches. My post was more about my personal preferences changing than a criticism of those games.

Codex Year of the Donut
This sounds like it falls into the Harvest Moon category I described on the previous page. I still need to buy it and play it.

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
This sounds like it falls into the Harvest Moon category I described on the previous page. I still need to buy it and play it.

I had to look it up, but it looks like it has resource management and base building so you may have a point. I have to admit that I know very little about JRPGs. I played the first Pokemon and FF II and that's about it.

Hah. Imagine Pokemon without combat. Tamagotchi collector.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Trash combat because if it's turn-based, I can still enjoy it.
Autism is bliss.

Top OP, what about games like Diablo II, where the combat is objectively trash but also essential to the whole game design ?
Because whether you give a no-combat version of PST, or a no-combat version of Diablo II, I wouldn't give you the same answer.

Willow Creek

Novice
CRPGs are combat simulators so the question is invalid.

"Would you rather have a football game with bad football or no football?"

"Would you rather have a racing game with bad racing or no racing?"

etc.

More like would you have most of your matches against 5 years old children in a football game, or compete exclusively against pedestrians in most races in a car racing game, it's just a waste of time, just axe the combat if the game has some merits in the other aspects (unfortunately it's very rare) , or just axe the game.

Even when the combat has some narrative purposes, it will backfire if it's easy / trash.

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
Tides of Numenera had no trash combat and most people here hated it more than Torment which does because what it did have wasn't good enough.
Dungeon Rats had almost no trash combat. And which it had, was cut down in patches.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The category of trash combat is not about quantity as much as quality. Encounter design in TToN is so uninspired that all of its combat is basically trash, even if there's not that much of it.

There are four mandatory crises in ToN; the tutorial battle, running away from the Sorrow, massaging the sphincter in the Bloom, and waiting for the device to activate while everyone attacks the Sorrow. There's only one place where you actually have to fight things, the tutorial.

Nyx

Novice
No, no, no, management games is the most autistic genre. Like Factorio and city builders and that kind of thing y'know? Or maybe aviation sims, when you do a pre-flight check even if you don't have to. Point and click adventure games is the least autistic genre out there, no numbers, no symmetry thingy, no procedure thingies, very mechanically light. It's kinda like the anti-autism genre actually. GSG is for larping nerds, not autismos.

V_K

Arcane

There are four mandatory crises in ToN; the tutorial battle, running away from the Sorrow, massaging the sphincter in the Bloom, and waiting for the device to activate while everyone attacks the Sorrow. There's only one place where you actually have to fight things, the tutorial.
And?

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
I think that the majority of games is "trash combat" from start to finish, so I think that it is better to do other things instead of playing games.

Lurker47

Savant

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom