Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 3 + Battle of Steeltown and Cult of the Holy Detonation Expansions Thread

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
For the most part I agree but:
There's no way you can be at Lvl 6 Lockpicks or Level 4 Nerd Stuff when you hit these checks, which can stop you in your tracks.
You can often destroy the doors (unless they are immune) but in generalI never had to do that to progress.
Melee seems useless so far though
It's not, I'm surprised how good it is actually.

Anyway, I'm in
Monster army location, underground
and it's the best location I've been to yet. Still enjoying the game very much, in fact more with every hour of playing. So far it's way better than W2 first half IMO.

jackofshadows

Magister
btw

third-eye.jpg

No clue how I got it. Downside is you can't go to the doctor(they should add an option to heal only specific characters on doctor).
Yeah, got that too. Noticed that it's curable so I left my sniper at RQ, went to a doctor, picked her back and saw this:
4019F9818B8E233CEF07064AC73598541759F27B

The game is junky as fuck at its current state. To be fair, WL2 were far worse IIRC.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Gee i managed to finish it in 40ish hours,what a slow ride. So,here is my fast review of the game.

Lets first begin with the most important part of any RPG,the graphics :). The game looks....meh really,i preferred the looks of wasteland 2,and that is saying something. At least there it had the feeling of life put in it. Here everything looks generic and greyish....literally. Everything uses the same two decor styles,a wooden floor for the houses and luxury places,and grey concrete slabs for everything else. It gets boring really fast,most of the game is about dry grey floors and walls. On top of that the world map is also dark grey because muh eternal winter night. The NPC also look greyish because of the lighting,they look like smudges and you end up ignoring them and just looking at the names while holding the highlight key.

A place where the game shines is the soundtrack.....it has really good songs,even if a very few,that go well with fights. That said....well they are used like 5 times and half of those are skippable fights.

Easily the worst part of the game is the fucking UI made by retarded aliens lol. I am honestly amazed how they ended up with it,its fucking baffling lol. The first thing i did was change the highlight key to tab. The second one was to change the companions key to 1-6,then i ended up restarting the game because glorious retards had made action selections to use (1-6) .The worst part was that they weren't part of the config options,thus the game ended doing both and locking you out of your mouse buttons. That bug also happened a few more times ,mainly when you try to multi task your companions. Ahhh clicking on your seconds companion to take cover before battle,when your companion 1 is still moving. Yeah here you have to wait for X PC to finish what ever thing he is doing or you could freeze the game.
Another thing is the quick item button....so to use a quick item,you have to go in your inventory,put an item in the slot of quick items,then click a button on the menu,then choose the quick item from its slot and use it. Also you will have to do it frequently because many times the game just ignores that there is a stack of say meds and doesn't replenish the quick item bar.
Another bad part is the very limited zoom out,many times you won't be able to see the "to hit" change because the enemy is beyond the sight of your sniper,so you can't just zoom out and see it. Same shit with the exploration camera. It is terrible choice.
The Inventory is another mess,it misses any kind of useful sorting,like price,tier,damage/armour etc. It does have a group selection (weapons,armour etc etc) but it does lack one for utility items. That said,now it is no limit/weight party wide and you could carry all the garbage you find. Kind off makes sense,since you are not running around like the murder hobos from the second game,but have a nice upgradeable battle truck. Some people might see it as a dumbing down and heresy,others as evolution and improvement of antiquated design,your choice.

Now the optimization....ahhh it run solid....but gods those fucking loading screens. They take for fucking forever,i counted it and it takes around 15-30 seconds for a load,even high end machines like cohhcarnage have long loadings,it is not a hardware thing. That said,it runs fine,no hitches,lag or something similar. A bunch of bugs for sure,but nothing bad from what i have see.

Now the gameplay aka story,exploration and combat.

Geeeee that story is so fucking retarded. Majority of the writing is not bad....but very subjective. I found it cringy koomer boomer's toilet humour level. Ohh look the creepy cannibal clowns,the evul santa,the fat guy larping a vampire and talking about dripping assholes and orgies. Most of the time i was rolling my eyes and ignoring the retardation on the screen. Different people(americans) might find it funny and entertaining.
Intro SPOILERS!
Sooo your shit state is dying from hunger,thus you decide to ask your local tyrant that lives in muh forever winter night land for food. Because obviously makes sense that a winter desert that have high radiation and constant storms is the place for having a lot of food,duhh.So the dictator say "send me 50 elite troop because me have not enough mates,and find me children" . In the first level of the game those elite troops get fucked out of existence by the lowest of minions,yeah great help lol. So the tyrant feels sorry for that and lets you recruit new people...... yeah the thing he needed the most is freely given to you for shit and giggles.
Real spoilers,The whole story in two and half lines.
The rest of the game you run around doing a few quests for the local faction and getting his kids. All that doesn't really matter because midway angela deth shows up and ask you to help her kill the dude and brig some kind of liberal democratic utopia and he evul because he muh kills people and makes deals. At this point i understand why arizona needs food with a bunch of retards like this running it lol. So you collect/kill his kids,she calls you make a binary choice to which one to help,then you return to your base that you had no real reason to visit till now,and half the people have turned traitors by hurrpa durrpa magic. Then you confront the enemy side in the city center and the end lol.
In the end all the side quest and reputations are meaningless,the ending is pointless and generic slider that tells you that some hobo just fucked off or something like that,talking about people i don't care about and insignificant events like some people fixing a hut in the mountain or someone i killed is still dead.
The main story is generally one of the worst and most generically boring i have seen in a long time. Not talking about the writing quality here,not an insane experience like PoE2 lol.

Exploration is not good at all. We have the world map(a former post has a pic of it) witch is very small and has like 20ish,with me being generous,side places to visit. Most of them are small one or two rooms to explore and a combat. The main problem is the level design and the generic grey artsy style. The levels are like from the PS2 era,i remember some FinalFantasy games having similar blue(here grey) corridors with a few rooms here and there. They are either big oval space with something,or two corridors leading to the same place,mostly an oval place where there is a bunch boxes and barrels thrown around for the combat. Here are two examples from the final areas i was in:
8sKL86n.png

hZg6VU1.png

It is not actual spoilers,just to not fill the screen with big pictures. The B is for battle.

Most of the maps are in that vain really,they might have a bunch of tunnel variation,but generally very simple and repetitive. The two good maps are the City of Colorado(the only city in the game) and the aspin resort or what ever its name was....the demo map. The rest are generic trash in my book. As for the exploration for loot,well it feel like trash collector and it doesn't help that you never need anything really. You just check once every few levels if you have found some new weapon or armour. You just collect things from the 5-10 containers in the room after a battle and move one. Some have a trap that needs explosive,others have one that needs sneaky shit,or a lockpicking. Nothing interesting really. There is no interesting story bits and journals,tho there is a bunch of cassette tapes that could bring you brain canter by listening to what is on them. It is so cringy and retarded that it is painful,like a meme recipe of how to make a clown cannibal burger.

That said the quantity of the content is also missing,it must be maybe a third of the content that wasteland 2 had. The actual game length is around 15-20 hours,stretched by slow moving speed,dialogue latency and loading screens. There are three main quest that are no different than the radian ones in skyrim,go in dungeon,kill shit,retrieve object.

Now the combat.....hmmm it is mixed bag,the weapons are fun and well done. But the combat is very repetitive,you get open area,you position your team in cover that was magically put there by some divine force,then you take a surprise shot at them. There is no actual initiative in this game,there is something like a party initiative,but normal builds won't get it high enough speed to get a first turn,unless you ambush them or chose the "attack" dialogue option. Then your party is first piling on the biggest danger,then the enemy run around like retards and hit you. It is really broken system. The ambush is well.... the enemy have a red circle around them that goes two meters before them,you could stand there and looking at them and they won't react,so you position your people and take a shot,then you started the combat,thus an ambush. Really retarded system,here is a screen shot from a firefight that was going around me and everyone was ignoring me because not in the red circle.
Dnu8hOj.png

You might not notice it because of the shitty zoom levels,but there are people shooting on left and right side,but don't engage with me because muh circle.

The combat itself is also bad. On higher difficulty the enemy are sponges that have at least 5times your health,and do tend to one hit you because the AI gets a bonus movement turn and then they ignore your armour. You will see more than once a dude running from the other side of the map and then one hit meleeing your 50 armour tank. Also the AI is retarded when trying to mask its cheats and you could see it run back and forth a few times before killing your man. There is plenty of very cheap encounters like a room with bomb robots that have more health than your team and need a whole focused fire turn to kill a single one of them,thus you just sacrifice a few of your people and resurrect them after that,another cheap bastards are the flamers,they could party wipe you in one hit.

Oh and the TB is very slow,the retarded AI running back and forth doesn't help too.

Sooo all that is left to talk about is the RPG levelling. It is pretty much the same,tho the skills now are not percentage based but hard set. Meaning that you need 6 lockpicking level to unlock a box locked with level 6. Also a good stat to put points at the start is the charisma,with the bookwork trait you do get a lot exp and end up around 35 level by the end of the game. Intelligence is pretty useless unless you are doing a crit build,nice for snipers. It is poorly written tho,makes people believe that it gives you bonus skill point per levelling for every 2 points of it. Which is not true,it simply gives you a skill point when you invest 2 points in it,pretty useful. At max INT you get 5 skill points Pretty useless,that is like a single mid-late level of a skill.

The final verdict.....well it is what everyone expected to be really. It is strange when your expectation are met in times when every game is either something glorious like Atom,kingmaker and other,or a massive disappointment like PoE2. It is a generic middle of the ground AA janky RPG set in small cliche world with cliche story. Has a passable combat,muh exploration and writing,thus a decent time waster to play an hour or two a day. Most certainly not worth 60 bucks tho,maybe 30-40. From what i read there is plenty of game breaking bugs that i didn't find. I would recommend waiting for a sale,by that time they should be fixed. Not a place holder or a must play game.

Soo that is it ;) . Feel free to ask anything.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
For a people that just start it,i would recommend just making the first two companions and using the other 4 places for story companions.

Do they get extra levels? Extra skillz? Interactions?
The story companions to take part in the dialogue,but they do have their own skills and stats. Generally i feel a bit butthurt for making those two grunts at retaking the station.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The banter perk is broken, all you have to do is sell all the junk, then buy them back and sell them again. Now you have infinite money.

Not worth experiencing the load times.
You mean the buying lag? He means that you could just buy them back from the shop and you will still be on profit because there is an antique perk that sells a random junk for 500xtimes its value or something like that. Which in the end is pointless because you rarely buy anything other than ammo. I finished the game with like 40k.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I'm only couple hours in, but liking it much more than WL2 so far. Opening hours set the mood nicely, combat is snappy and graphics actually look like made in current year as opposed to WL2 looking dated already on launch.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I told you not to dismiss Zietsland 3. :cool:

So who was in the right here in my argument with toro? https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...rgo-does-colorado.111209/page-81#post-6748155

Does Wasteland 3 come across as a sillier game than Wasteland 2, or perhaps the opposite?

The encounters design is bad, the mobs have bloated HP and the AI is retarded.

The writing is passable but nowhere near great.

The reasons why this game is a "success" are: (1) MS's money and (2) people are starved for a decent RPG and they are willing to overlook some stuff.

The game is already dead on twitch (5k viewers daily, 20k when Cohh is streaming).

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

So who was in the right here in my argument with toro? https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...rgo-does-colorado.111209/page-81#post-6748155

Does Wasteland 3 come across as a sillier game than Wasteland 2, or perhaps the opposite?
It is hard to tell mate,both of them are silly for different reasons. If i have to chose,i will go with w3 being sillier.
W3 is keeping with the spirit of the series nicely but it's a tiny bit more silly. Like the tooltip in the Prologue "you could engage the big ass robot however we can't stress enough how how much that thing would fuck you up right now". W2 can be plenty silly too but you never see anything that puerile there.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Aight niggas, some random thoughts

Game definitely looks better than WL3, but still.. well, not next-gen, but it's unity, so who are we kidding anyway? definitely one of the best looking unity games, though, so yeah

Performance is "decent" but nothng more, and yeah the loading times are fucking awful, shitty job there inxile, u deserve some flack for that, optimize your shit please.

The UI is "okay" but lacks alot of quality of life features, shit like most valueables etc, and weight doesnt even seem to be a factor i guess

The builds are pretty varied, and fun, the combat is fun enough without getting super boring, and the turn times and speed are "acceptable" but could be better.

The story has me entertained and engaged, and I like alot of the smaller quests and characters, fun time. It's definitely ALOT more zanzy and lulzy than WL2s setting, which I kind of like, but I mean.. a clown hammer? yeah ok sure

The game is already entertaining me alot more than some of the hardcore rpgs, so thats a plus, even if overall the game feels abit sloggish, party movement not withstanding.

sound design and music is an improvement over WL2, and its pretty good, not amazing or anything, but does the job.

skill checks are varied and its great that they have a set difficulty and not random like WL2.

The major complaint? the game feels too fuckin easy already.. I dunno, maybe I min maxed my guy, but he feels overleveled at like lvl 14 already, doing lvl 8-9 "green" quests or whatever...
I mean I play only on Supreme Jerks, and yes, the enemies do pack a fucking punch, so I guess its ok?

In terms of skillchecks, ther are very few I cannot pass, like WL2, it feels like with a party of 5-6, u are able to pass any skillcheck the game throws at you with even a little minmaxxery... thats cool, but abit boring in the end, because nothing feels "locked" from your skill and character path... might just be me though

It is hard to tell mate,both of them are silly for different reasons. If i have to chose,i will go with w3 being sillier.
W3 is keeping with the spirit of the series nicely but it's a tiny bit more silly. Like the tooltip in the Prologue "you could engage the big ass robot however we can't stress enough how how much that thing would fuck you up right now". W2 can be plenty silly too but you never see anything that puerile there.

Tooltip giving accurate descriptions about leveling up mechanics and enemy difficulties - puerile

Quillon

Arcane
Hit my first quest bug:
A Slaver group wanted me to get some escaped girl from Colarado Springs, I went and told the girl to run away came back to HQ and killed the slavers but I noticed later that the quest didn't update, stuck in journal at "get back to slavers" :/ oh well...

The slavers gave me the pass code of the locked gate in the HQ, after that there was another locked gate, wonder if I fucked up that progression...

Takamori

Learned
fantadomat
At what difficulty you finished the game? Ranger difficulty was pretty easy, felt some hiccups in the end game content but nothing absurd.
Also the removal of permadeath made me go full retard and summed with how bountiful were ammo and supplies in general I went through like a Breeze.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
fantadomat
At what difficulty you finished the game? Ranger difficulty was pretty easy, felt some hiccups in the end game content but nothing absurd.
Also the removal of permadeath made me go full retard and summed with how bountiful were ammo and supplies in general I went through like a Breeze.

Try Supreme Jerk diff. that's quite a jump from ranger diff afaik. enemies will fuck u up even if u are overleved

Takamori

Learned
fantadomat

Try Supreme Jerk diff. that's quite a jump from ranger diff afaik. enemies will fuck u up even if u are overleved

Hope so because I plan to start today my slight meta gamey run on Supreme Jerk also use the opportunity to do things different.

Quillon

Arcane
So Angela Deth...
She sends me to a great ex-slaver(who doesn't regret slaving), for him to say to me the Patriarch deceived him and buncha others...so we must end him lmao, I killed the potential companion dude there.

Wonder if Angela Deth is dead and Liberty is impersonating her on the radio? :P

Tho the dude on life support in the next room claimed the Patriarch gave them innocent people to sacrifice, I went to Patriarch after that to confront him but there was dialogue option only for "deceiving of crime lords" and not for human offerings...

Takamori

Learned
So Angela Deth...
She sends me to a great ex-slaver(who doesn't regret slaving), for him to say to me the Patriarch deceived him and buncha others...so we must end him lmao, I killed the potential companion dude there.

Tho the dude on life support in the next room claimed the Patriarch gave them innocent people to sacrifice, I went to Patriarch after that to confront him but there was dialogue option only for "deceiving of crime lords" and not for human offerings...

He made a deal with all the warlords of the plains and this include the skytards, so he would send slaves to whoever wanted slaves and sacrifices to those who wanted sacrifices. Prisiners, people in debt and political opponents. I understood Angela point but jesus that was a blood bath by the end

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom