Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Time traveler, save Fallout 1 and Baldur's Gate 2

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
1. The year is 1996. You're a star employee at Interplay. You're given free reign to "fix" Fallout 1 from all its faults, or at least improve it in any way you can. Your actions?

2. Same question for Baldur's Gate 2.

waken

Educated
1. Replace inventory GUI. Implement the "shove" function from Fallout 2 so you can't get stuck because of dumbass NPCs. Full party control.
2. Say what you will about BG2 but it's polished, not many glaring faults. I'm just going to go with increasing player agency, different possibilities for resolving quests, non-combat applications of magic and so on.

without cheating on the timeline, fallout was perfectly fine as it was. better engines like ja2 or tactics were still very far. other than fixing bugs and maybe have some more sprites for a more varied population, you can't ask more from it.

i'm not qualified to answer on bg2, i hate that game, because it was one one if the first pc games i've played, coming from amiga, the first which resided on multiple cds instead of being crammed on a single one with ten more, and i honestly expected, by something as big as my previous hd, something which would have changed my life. this cemented my experience with elite 2 cd32 edition, never trusted in games sizes ever since.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
1. The year is 1996. You're a star employee at Interplay. You're given free reign to "fix" Fallout 1 from all its faults, or at least improve it in any way you can. Your actions?

2. Same question for Baldur's Gate 2.

Fallout 1 was just fine.
If you really want to do something about it, full party control and a great encounter design it is.

BG2 ...
Cancel it is the easiest answer.
The only good thing about it are the side-quests.
You would have to kill the whole Irenicus/Imoen arc along with the main story and turn that garbage combat system into a ToEE-like.

If you ask me, it's simpler to cancel it and do a isometric TB cRPG in a Dark Sun or PST settings.

Tigranes

Arcane
1. I persuade Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky to abandon the Interplay dumpster fire after FO1, and start a new video game company. I persuade them that a junior designer of no particular renown named Chris might also be worth taking along.

2. I sneak into the offices at night after the game goes gold, and destroy the source code for both BG1 and BG2. When apprehended, I scream incoherently about how I am from the future where the world is under threat from roving bands of "Beam Dogs".

For BG2
  • Introduce them to a concept similar to the soul eater curse in MoTB as the primary compulsion in the plot line.
  • Plant more ability checks though-out quests and dialogues, like seen in NWN: SoU and PF:Kingmaker.
  • Show them them the awesome code "I had been working on" ;) whilst feeding them mods like SCS, in particular.
  • Stop them from poor hard coding of class combinations and kits.
PS: Oh, and that Aerie baby nonsense and scene. Holy cringe, Batman.

Last edited:

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
1. I persuade Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky to abandon the Interplay dumpster fire after FO1, and start a new video game company. I persuade them that a junior designer of no particular renown named Chris might also be worth taking along.

2. I sneak into the offices at night after the game goes gold, and destroy the source code for both BG1 and BG2. When apprehended, I scream incoherently about how I am from the future where the world is under threat from roving bands of "Beam Dogs".
:hero:

Lemming42

Arcane
1. Add a couple more solutions to quests to really drive home the game's philosophy of different builds - mainly just adding possible stealth solutions to some quests, a couple extra repair/science checks to get you past enemies, etc. Plus make Junktown actually react to anything you do, that's one of the few things in the game that just stands out as being bad - you killed Gizmo weeks ago and everyone's still talking about how scared they are of him.

Also maybe bring the furries back, it sounded like a great concept for an area with the whole class divide thing. Would need to be very, very well written to fit in with the rest of the game tonally though.

2. Make it turn-based, seriously can't stand IE combat, especially since the encounter design is mostly shit anyway.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Would make a clause if any sequels was to be made it has to be made with zero pop-culture references. ZERO.

laclongquan

Arcane
Party order: self heal, holster weapon, stay away, gather around etc...

A vehicle right away. Not a Highwayman, mind, but a ...tum te tum... Brahmin carrier named Bess. Not speedy because you want to keep the timeline tight. But you can carry loads and loads of loots. Fuel = foods. You have a great use for the foods you can gather along the way.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
The game was nearly canceled after Interplay acquired the licenses to the Forgotten Realms and Planescape Dungeons & Dragons franchises, but Cain convinced Interplay to let him finish the work on his project. Later, after the success of Diablo, Cain successfully resisted the pressure to convert the game to multiplayer and real-time based.

No intervention was necessary. Tim managed all by himself.

deuxhero

Arcane
Fallout: Allow fast forwarding through turns of enemy/non-hostile NPCs. Make inventory UI better. Make sure the assets and code aren't lost.
BG2: Add turn based mode. Let the player get a threesome in the love triangles and seduce girls as a girl if they have crazy high charisma. Make sure the assets and code aren't lost.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Fallout: Allow fast forwarding through turns of enemy/non-hostile NPCs. Make inventory UI better. Make sure the assets and code aren't lost.
BG2: Add turn based mode. Let the player get a threesome in the love triangles and seduce girls as a girl if they have crazy high charisma. Make sure the assets and code aren't lost.
I found Trent Oster's account guys.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom