Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 3 + Battle of Steeltown and Cult of the Holy Detonation Expansions Thread

agris

Arcane
Patron
Around here, we like our sacred cows sacrificed under kosher conditions. You shall pay the price.

edit: Roguey ive noticed you and the bot both assume 10s of thousands of gamepass players. Why is that? And does it matter? If GP is a gateway drug, do GP playERs mean much for a game’s success? While it’s all a bit :aliens: asserting both 10s of thousands of additional players with dubious implications to the game’s quality and impact feels cheap and like shilling.

randir14

Augur
Does the game has any gamebreaking bugs, like bugs that will not make you solve a quest, crash preventing you from going further? I see on my favourite pirate site there's j2340 version of GOG release(40863), i guess it already has day zero patch, with most bugs squashed?

Otherwise i might wait few weeks, maybe there will be also small sale, and i can grab the original.

I beat the game and encountered one quest that was stuck in my journal and couldn't be completed.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
edit: Roguey ive noticed you and the bot both assume 10s of thousands of gamepass players. Why is that? And does it matter? If GP is a gateway drug, do GP playERs mean much for a game’s success? While it’s all a bit :aliens: asserting both 10s of thousands of additional players with dubious implications to the game’s quality and impact feels cheap and like shilling.

Because it's a game rental service for $1/$5/$10 a month.

GOTY, hands down, nothing beats a rudder chicken, a cross, and a dildo
118472453_321970802483712_3784216989260073583_n.jpg

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
So people, you had already two days to acquaintance yourself with the game, i can judge the game after few hours if its leaning into the garbage side, even if it try to camouflage itself. Is it garbage? Is it at same mediocre level as W2? Combat was worst offender in W2, how is it in W3?

Fucking hell. I don't know if there's some weird level scaling going on, or if it's just some odd encounter design, or what. I went to the Bizarre to deal with refugees, but before doing that I went into the Bizarre and did the quest inside there. The refugees quest is a fair bit lower level than I am (I think it's even listed as gray in my quest log) but I finally decided to do that AFTER gaining another level or so and buying better weapons for the entire party from the Bizarre, and even though I'm fighting similar enemies, I had my first TPK. Not just my guys doing less damage, but the baddies were doing insane damage. My melee dork has full tank armor on wish pushes him up to mid-20s AC, and even though it appeared he was taking about 40% damage, and despite having 10 strength and the medical marvel trait to jack his HP even higher, he almost got killed in a single burst of a non-energy weapon.

Gonna try the fight again in a bit but it was just such a weird jump in difficulty from the combat INSIDE the Bizarre even though my party should be stronger now due to gaining a level, buying better armor, buying better weapons, etc. Also might just be a weird outlier I guess.

Gyor

Savant
The game is good but absolutely needs a fast travel option. Going from one end of the hub to another is a fucking chore with these loading screens.

Other than that and the "unreadable" way stuff ends up working when it comes to stats (muh min-maxing! :() I'm quite enjoying it. Combat is very fun, to the point where I was disappointed at a certain homestead when I got my rangers into good positions and then managed to talk my way out of it. Almost wanted to reload to have the fight.

Can't comment on the story, but so far it's ok and intriguing enough to keep me going. Characters are very meh, unlike for example D:OS2, where they matter. They have a little bit of a personality and sometimes will quip about a thing in the world or interact with an NPC, but nothing major (so far, at least). Writing is OK, probably on par with Larian.

All in all, so far this is D:OS2 with guns and a lot more (and longer) loading screens. I'm OK with this, but not for 60 bucks. I'll probably buy it somewhere down the line when it's around 20 eurobucks to show support, but it's not worth 60.

Is every RPG going to he compared to DOS2? I thought that honour was BG3's alone.

Seriously thought I like what I'm seeing, but I've already got a pile of RPGs to play this Autumn. BG3 EA, Solasta EA, DOS2, Kingmaker new TB mode, and now Wasteland 3. I will wait a few weeks for them to iron out a bugs before buying.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Fucking hell. I don't know if there's some weird level scaling going on, or if it's just some odd encounter design, or what. I went to the Bizarre to deal with refugees, but before doing that I went into the Bizarre and did the quest inside there. The refugees quest is a fair bit lower level than I am (I think it's even listed as gray in my quest log) but I finally decided to do that AFTER gaining another level or so and buying better weapons for the entire party from the Bizarre, and even though I'm fighting similar enemies, I had my first TPK. Not just my guys doing less damage, but the baddies were doing insane damage. My melee dork has full tank armor on wish pushes him up to mid-20s AC, and even though it appeared he was taking about 40% damage, and despite having 10 strength and the medical marvel trait to jack his HP even higher, he almost got killed in a single burst of a non-energy weapon.

Gonna try the fight again in a bit but it was just such a weird jump in difficulty from the combat INSIDE the Bizarre even though my party should be stronger now due to gaining a level, buying better armor, buying better weapons, etc. Also might just be a weird outlier I guess.
I'm a bit stuck at the Bizarre too (ranger difficulty - "A Nightmare in The Bizarre quest), I'm at level 11 and the quest to clean the warrens is at level 6 and the very last location to clean has overpowered opponents who can kill almost anyone in my team in 1 turn. Most guys there have 500 HP and one is over 1000 while my guys have a bit above 100 (plus one where I've been going for max strength 305 so I would have as much HP as average opponent there at around level 20) and my attacks don't do enough damage even when I use a precision shot or other abilities that I have. I will either have to use some really cheesy tactics or level up significantly and leave this quest for later. Haven't had a problem like this so far.

agris

Arcane
Patron

Because it's a game rental service for $1/$5/$10 a month.
But where on earth do you get the numbers for assuming 10s of thousands of players? It’s a rental service and “because”?

And why do you think those rental players are indicative of success / quality / market performance?

they very well may be, probably about equally good as a predictor as not, but what are you basing any of that off of?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
But where on earth do you get the numbers for assuming 10s of thousands of players? It’s a rental service and “because”?

Microsoft has not revealed exact subscriber numbers for Game Pass, but we have learned that there are currently some 9.5 million monthly users.

You think fewer people are playing a new rental over paying $60? Come on.

And why do you think those rental players are indicative of success / quality / market performance?

they very well may be, probably about equally good as a predictor as not, but what are you basing any of that off of?

Microsoft is happy to have subscribers to their service.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Bought the game on steam, played it for two hours. Saw the overall visual quality and ran in to a few bugs, one of them in the recruitment screen that requiring a restart, and refunded it. The game is fun but the lack of quality in presentation and polish makes its asking price pretty unjustifiable. I just bit the bullet and went with the gamepass version and will buy the game in full when the inevitable GOTY edition is released down the road.

So far enjoying it on the writing gameplay side beyond the bugs, it feels like it does a good job streamlining things in a way that ironed out a lot of issues that Wasteland 2 had, but not all of them (playing on normal and at level 9 and there is really no reason to bother with melee builds, just to name one issue), but the game imo just looks ugly. The UI isn't great, the model quality is fucking laughable, those talking head sections look even worse than ones done for shit like Human Revolution over 10 years ago. The writing is more of what you'd expect after Wasteland 2; competent but not particularly stand-out.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I'm a bit stuck at the Bizarre too (ranger difficulty - "A Nightmare in The Bizarre quest), I'm at level 11 and the quest to clean the warrens is at level 6 and the very last location to clean has overpowered opponents who can kill almost anyone in my team in 1 turn. Most guys there have 500 HP and one is over 1000 while my guys have a bit above 100 (plus one where I've been going for max strength 305 so I would have as much HP as average opponent there at around level 20) and my attacks don't do enough damage even when I use a precision shot or other abilities that I have. I will either have to use some really cheesy tactics or level up significantly and leave this quest for later. Haven't had a problem like this so far.

It didn't have any problems with that quest(think I was overleved and had turrets with me), but just wanna chip in - the damage sometimes is out of this world, and it seems it mostly come from melee characters. I fear them. It's not uncommon for my guys just to get one-shotted by them right out of the blue, while I can eat bullets for days. The game also need some kind of zone of control. It's a pain when they run past my tanky guy to go after the weak sniper in the back... and there is nothing I can do to hinder it. I thought zone of control was standard nowadays anyway, so surprised it isn't in.

How about those drools though? hehe.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy

It didn't have any problems with that quest(think I was overleved and had turrets with me), but just wanna chip in - the damage sometimes is out of this world, and it seems it mostly come from melee characters. I fear them. It's not uncommon for my guys just to get one-shotted by them right out of the blue, while I can eat bullets for days. The game also need some kind of zone of control. It's a pain when they run past my tanky guy to go after the weak sniper in the back... and there is nothing I can do to hinder it. I thought zone of control was standard nowadays anyway, so surprised it isn't in.

How about those drools though? hehe.
I've managed to defeat them just now after 5th time or something like that but I had to use like 10 hypos, 2 or 3 medpacks, revive one another a couple of times (it was funny really, they killed 1 or 2 guys, I've revived them and then I was dead, they revived me and so on), buy the best gear I could, use up a clone (it died and I had that luck that he went towards most opponents and had 4-5 turns where I've had much less opponents to worry about), etc. I've made a mistake with my builds a bit(they're not varied enough) but like I said so far I could defeat other opponents. We'll see how it goes from here.

Edit:
playing on normal and at level 9 and there is really no reason to bother with melee builds
I'm playing on ranger difficulty and on level 9 my melee character is the most powerful in my team. Get a better melee weapon, proper perks, have enough AP and you will wreak havoc.

Takamori

Learned
Rental players is another beast, but regarding inXile and Microsoft here, if its a regular contract ,Microsoft probably paid inXile an X amount for the expected sales that they are "losing". Microsoft probably collects player data to see which games people are going for, if they see a huge influx of player in X game they probably have bonuses or are more inclined for another deal for expansions or Wasteland 4.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

Microsoft has not revealed exact subscriber numbers for Game Pass, but we have learned that there are currently some 9.5 million monthly users.

You think fewer people are playing a new rental over paying $60? Come on.

Microsoft is happy to have subscribers to their service.

"Like.. Come On!"

Welp, that's basically empirical evidence if I've ever heard it. Bag it and Tag it. Wasteland 3 smashing success.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Honestly the whole CO-OP schtick should have been discarded from the get-go, didn't they learn anything from Larian?

It fucking SUCKS and its dumb shit, that could have been spent on improving the game in numerous other ways..

But I guess the DUDEBROZ like to play CO-OP TOGETHER BRO YEAH ON CONSOLE BRO..

Jesus fucking christ.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom