Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

Ironmonk

Augur
It needs to rely a LOT less on RNG, with proper character creation/customization, hand-made maps with RNG exclusive to number of houses, cities, which buildings are available for each, etc.

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
Was browsing mods and got bored and dumped all non-named weaps, base stats only
Stuff like AP cost and modifiers need parsing of active abilities... might do later, might not
OGCTVog.png

If I had a jewgle account, I would make a googlesheets page.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Gotta say, I still love Hexes. Anything can happen when you throw one of those into the equation. Think they might be my favourite enemy, despite the rage they provoke.

Tigranes

Arcane
It needs to rely a LOT less on RNG, with proper character creation/customization, hand-made maps with RNG exclusive to number of houses, cities, which buildings are available for each, etc.

No way.

BB's character creation systems are not super robust, and allowing you to customise anything and everything the way you want would quickly mean building super-munchkin never-die superheroes that also end up playing roughly the same way each time round.

Some people do that already with savescumming/etc, but the system as it stands shines when you shape a brain-damaged deserter into a flawed but surprisingly useful fellow, or when you lose your key two-hander and have to shift your tactics. If you got rid of that, you're changing the central design philosophy of the game, and so you'd need to redesign everything else.

I'd agree to some customisation sliders for the map generation, e.g. % of water, or how 'developed' / sparse the map is, to add variety.

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
Meanwhile the most popular origin by far is the lone wolf and the most popular mods are the ones that reduce the economic tedium of dealing with garbage recruits. And that's ignoring legends(with its tens of thousands of DLs) which goes even further to do away with the delusional ironmancel mentality of "four beggars and a juggler" struggling for survival fighting raiders endlessly.

It's also like funny how your example of a fun struggling with the RNG is like a unit whose biggest downside is bad morale getting it fixed with the only positive permanent injury, which is literally the only even somewhat usable/positive situation that can happen out of getting a bro struck down.

I do want to see anyone having fun with making their hedgeknight with a collapsed lung into a "flawed but useful fellow". Like no, if you spend 8 grand on a hedgeknight, build him as a battleforged frontliner, and then you fuck up one time in a fight and he now has the fatigue of a swordmaster in a boomer containment home then that guy isn't being used for shit. You lost all the time you spent leveling him and all the time spent farming money to buy him. The tedium loop restarts and you are back to farming the types of packs that you already fought for hours. Amazing gameplay loop.

The idea that actually usable recruits reduce the actual tactical options is also EXTREMELY retarded, like unbelievably so. Viable builds in this game are pretty much gated behind base stat hard caps. You are not making a duelist out of someone with 120 fatigue, you are not making a nimble bro out of someone with 40 health, you are not making anything other than a sacrifice tank out of someone with 60 lvl 11 mattack.

This game is carried hard by the sounds, visuals and the actual combat mechanics which do allow for fun and usually even tactically interesting fights. Pretending that it's instead carried by the absolutely retarded overworld game economy is just delusions of the highest order.

Tigranes

Arcane
"Most popular mods"

You do realise most popular mods for most games is basically #1 nude mods #2 romance all companions mods #3 unlocked level cap mod #4 lets you be both light and dark jedi mod #5 bloom HDR mod

Riel

Arcane
"Most popular mods"

You do realise most popular mods for most games is basically #1 nude mods #2 romance all companions mods #3 unlocked level cap mod #4 lets you be both light and dark jedi mod #5 bloom HDR mod

A nude mod in a legless game is doomed to be disappointing.

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
What the hell is
this.m.ChanceDecapitate = 0;
this.m.ChanceDisembowel = 0;
this.m.ChanceSmash = 50;

Smash? Disembowel? wat...

Harthwain

Magister
The finishers. Decapitate means your head comes off when you die. Disembowel will end with you being gutted. Smash is probably the one where your skull is caved in.

jungl

Augur
ye the game economy is even more dumb now. The cartographer can roll in thousands of easy cash while the recruiter who costs more can't do his fucking job and tell you whether a recruit can swing a sword or not.

I stopped playing week ago after taking a serpent hunting contract and also aggroed hyenas. I love how they team up instead of fighting each other no wonder black panther died RIP

https://youtu.be/lvGmFMOxflQ

Harthwain

Magister
Gee, I thought that it matters. Decap stops rising but the others?
I am not sure if smashing someone's head is enough to prevent rising from the dead. Disembowel won't stop it. Other than that they are just different-looking corpse arrangement for visual variety.

Andronovo

Learned
It looks like it's going to be a long, hard slog of gitting gud for me. After restarting several times, I've come to accept that there's no way I'm going to improve at fighting anything other than basic bitch brigands unless I savescum some. I'll save the ironman playthrough for once I'm actually somewhat decent at the game.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It looks like it's going to be a long, hard slog of getting good for me. After restarting several times, I've come to accept that there's no way I'm going to improve at fighting anything other than basic bitch brigands unless I savescum some. I'll save the ironman playthrough for once I'm actually somewhat decent at the game.
Honestly, there's not really a way to get much better at game start.
Your bros just suck too much and with limited amounts of brothers in your band as well as enemies, there just aren't many strategies available.

IMO, the only thing you CAN do is stop relying on crap weapons at the start. E.g. most range weapons are just plain useless unless wielded by someone with good ranged stats - which you won't have at the beginning (maybe with the poachers origin exception).
At some point, you just learn to give everyone shield + spear until they had a few levelups.
Spear/shieldwall can carry you through most of the early game (if you avoid undead).

But even with that, the start of the game is just too hard if you don't pick the highest starting gold. I always end up savescumming a lot as I just don't want to restart all the time until I get lucky enough to survive the first bunch of days.
And then gradually reduce it and start accepting losses when it no longer ruins me or would cause me to lose too much time on building up new recruits.

The biggest problem really is the recruit system.
How anyone can play without the mod that clearly shows recruit stats is beyond me. The default recruit system is just plain dumb, even when you spend the tryout money, you only learn some mostly irrelevant traits but not even where the recruits stars are.
At the very least, tryout should show stars and the two or three best stats.

Also, recruits should start at higher levels as your band average level rises (or maybe with an option to buy them at a higher price for a higher level) - there is no challenge in levelling up a fresh recruit (just carry him to battles while keeping him safe), it merely wastes lots of time.

On a different topic:
Is it just me or are improved dog armors (from wolf skin) pretty much useless?
I couldn't really tell a difference between a normal dog armor and the improved variant. I was so happy to finally have something that would make my doggos usable without being in extreme danger all the time - only to find out they still die just as quickly in a few hits (or one lucky hit).
On one hand, I get it. They are dogs. But why even bother with improving armor if it doesn't do anything?

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
Early game when you're not yet used to the game can be brutal, and there's nothing wrong with savescumming a bit as you find your feet.

Spear & shield bros forming basically phalanxes were a noob's crutch for me a long time before I figured out other ways to make it in the first few weeks.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Spear & shield bros forming basically phalanxes were a noob's crutch for me a long time before I figured out other ways to make it in the first few weeks.
I seriously doubt there are any other ways that work as reliably.
Not carrying shield = more dead bros.
Not keeping enemies at bay = more dead bros.
What keeps enemies at bay? Spears. And some two-handers, but that = no shields.

Of course, I say that, and yet the most fun I ever had with the game was a 100% two-handed-no-ranged mercenary band :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom