Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Crusader Kings III

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I'm not looking for something grand, but for something addictive and surprising.

Grand Strategy games (EU4) bore me quickly - I liked CK / CK2 much better because map painting isn't mandatory and the game is more character focused.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Go for a 2 for one. Install CK2 free and install Princes of Darkness then you don't need CK3 OR Vampire so you've screwed Paradox out of 2 sales!
I do like the free CK2 because its pretty generous when you consider how many mods work with it.

Tbh though I suspect this might have been a huge mistake on their part as they've made something now that competes directly with their newer games and offers value that they just can't match. They somehow managed to create the same scenario they had with Vicky 2 where even though there were newer games to play people still played Vicky 2. Same with EU3 some people didn't update to EU4. So with CK3 I'm expecting a large portion of their install base to just sit on the free version of CK2 and never move. This is why you never ever make past games free especially when your recent game is just retreading old ground.

Vatnik Wumao
And speaking of CK2, Morgoth...
You know you want to. :M
iHktHuV.png

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I don't think that CK3 will fail sales wise - people want something new every decade or so :D. I predict record sales unless Imperator turned the customer base against them.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I always meant to get into Paradox games. Would this be a good entry into it?
Probably.

Systems wise EU is always the one that's the most Grand Strategy-ish.

EU is also the one with the least personality and interesting stuff. Its duration goes from the late middle ages to the Napoleonic era, yet it feels like barely anything is happening other than map painting because compared to other PDX games it barely simulates anything. Victoria has its industrialization and pop management, HoI has in-depth research and combat mechanics, CK has role-playing elements and dynasties...

EU only has the map painting. All the cool features of interior management of a country and international relations are abstracted to a much higher degree than in other PDX games. It's the most generic of their games and the one with the least interesting gameplay mechanics.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Well it has trade - I'd have liked to see some of that make it's way to CK3. Maybe it will with a Republics DLC.

EU is also the one with the least personality and interesting stuff. Its duration goes from the late middle ages to the Napoleonic era, yet it feels like barely anything is happening other than map painting because compared to other PDX games it barely simulates anything. Victoria has its industrialization and pop management, HoI has in-depth research and combat mechanics, CK has role-playing elements and dynasties...

EU only has the map painting. All the cool features of interior management of a country and international relations are abstracted to a much higher degree than in other PDX games. It's the most generic of their games and the one with the least interesting gameplay mechanics.

Yeah, the problem is that EU4 simulates such a long time period that, rather than having mechanics for the changes that went on, they abstract it all to modifiers like "professionalism: +x% combat damage". Funny enough CK2 has a distinction between feudal levy armies and professional armies even though it would be more appropriate in EU4 (professional armies almost didn't exist in CK2's time period), yet EU4 has nothing.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
What's glitterhoof?
The horse you can appoint as an advisor if you're a Lunatic. Was so popular among "certain quarters" that it became a meme.
Lets not forget you can marry it and breed. You're missing half of the fun of the meme. All Glory to our half Horse half Human overlords.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom