Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Turn-based combat is not fun

JoonaAhonen

Prospernaut
Shitposter
Okay, idk if people here generally prefer turn-based, real-time or whatever... I just know that turn-based combat is the best way to make a boring RPG, especially when most RPGs are already quite tedious with their constant backtracking, grinding and such. The only instance of a fun turn-based RPG I can think of, is the Mario and Luigi series. In these video games published by Nintendo, you can actually affect the damage you deal with fun little minigames, and you can dodge attacks if you are skilled enough. It takes skill, unlike a book or a movie. However well the developers executed turn-based combat, the best way to execute it is by hanging it from the tree of failed gimmicks.

Turn-based combat originates from hardware limitations, but mere nostalgia keeps it around. What - are you supposed to roleplay some retard Chosen One that is given some extra time by every NPC to plan his next punch? It breaks immersion, and we all know it when we take off our rose-tinted glasses.

What are your thoughts on turn-based combat, and if you have positive thoughts about it, are you sure your thinking is not clouded by your emotions? Thank you for reading!

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I was going to come in here all riled up, but your atttempt at trolling is so pathetic that I just feel sad for you. If you're going to troll, do it properly or not at all. Sit down, son, and let the professional trolls carry on their duty.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

I'm sorry if you feel that way. Your feelings are valid and acceptable, but I'd like to actually discuss this topic. I presume you are a defender of turn-based combat, in which case I'd like to hear out your thoughts.
Sorry I only engage with trolls that score at least :3/5:.
I'd wish you better luck with your next thread, but quite frankly I don't think you have what it takes to be a troll on this forum. Maybe try rpgwatch?

J1M

Arcane
Real-time combat is essentially a game of Simon Says with fuzzy outcomes. At least good turn-based combat can allow the player to feel clever.

J1M

Arcane
Real-time combat is essentially a game of Simon Says with fuzzy outcomes. At least good turn-based combat can allow the player to feel clever.
Clever - for just pressing a button? I reckon you'd feel the opposite when you had to actually press multiple simultaneously and also plan your movement, *and* execute it perfectly.
No. That is a test of dexterity.

JoonaAhonen

Prospernaut
Shitposter
Clever - for just pressing a button? I reckon you'd feel the opposite when you had to actually press multiple simultaneously and also plan your movement, *and* execute it perfectly.
You fapping to your beloved turn-based combat is a test of dexterity. It is far more intellectually demanding to have a strategy that you need to follow, and to need good tactics for whenever you mess up, instead of just having a button that makes awesome things appear on the screen.

J1M

Arcane
You fapping to your beloved turn-based combat is a test of dexterity. It is far more intellectually demanding to have a strategy that you need to follow, and to need good tactics for whenever you mess up, instead of just having a button that makes awesome things appear on the screen.
Turns can have time limits.

JoonaAhonen

Prospernaut
Shitposter
Turns can have time limits.
They far too rarely do though. You should have thought about that before replying, since you had no time limit for that, did you?

Sinatar

Arbiter
Is this really the level of trolling we get around here nowadays?

I mean if you're going to be a dumbfuck, at least put some effort into it.

JoonaAhonen

Prospernaut
Shitposter
Is this really the level of trolling we get around here nowadays?

I mean if you're going to be a dumbfuck, at least put some effort into it.
Are you seriously that in love with turn-based combat, or what is exactly that makes you call me a troll? The fact that I like roasting people? You guys are weird af, and easy to roast anyway... In fact it would take a lot of integrity not to roast you.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Are you sure that your thinking is not clouded by your emotions?

Yeah he said that when he was crawling on the floor and I was kicking him in the ribs ; he certainly was telling the truth but that didn't stop me from kicking him

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
How are actions handled in tabletop DND?

Does everyone just says their actions and then it's resolved by order of initiative, or is it "player 1 says his action, resolve, player 2 says his action, resolve" per each player?

JoonaAhonen

Prospernaut
Shitposter
How are actions handled in tabletop DND?

Does everyone just says their actions and then it's resolved by order of initiative, or is it "action, resolve, action, resolve" per each player?
Never played DND so I have no idea. Are you actually asking me or is that a rhetorical question? Btw I don't care for board games in general, only liked Monopoly for half of the first game.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Such dedicated OP. Responds to every one of the guests in his thread. Thank you for this hospitality.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom