Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 3 + Battle of Steeltown and Cult of the Holy Detonation Expansions Thread

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
upload_2020-9-1_18-42-11.png

what the fuck is that fire effect around the barrel nozzle?

Is this a fuckin fantasy RPG and that is the "assault rifle of fire"?

jungl

Augur
View attachment 14182

what the fuck is that fire effect around the barrel nozzle?

Is this a fuckin fantasy RPG and that is the "assault rifle of fire"?

Its a game where you have a cat tank a hail of gatling gun fire from scorpitron while the last ranger in your is squad desperately trying to take it down.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
upload_2020-9-1_20-0-5.png

The voice actress voicing this NPC would be perfect to voice Diablo 4's Adria

SoupNazi

One more annoyance - even if you have high enough PER to discover mines, your toons will just run over them casually. You have to manually control each one to get them past a minefield because they're all retarded. Ffs.

Codex Year of the Donut
The difficulty jump between the highest and the one below it is kinda annoying. Enemies go from being pushovers to massive bullet sponges that kill my team members in one hit.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The difficulty jump between the highest and the one below it is kinda annoying. Enemies go from being pushovers to massive bullet sponges that kill my team members in one hit.

I like how the "customize difficulty" option at the beginning is just "Do you want friendly fire on or off?"

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
So 15 hours later 2 things I have noticed very strongly that no one appears to be talking about as most posts seem to be subjective thoughts on the game vs. actual data-

1) Weird Science weapons are weird yes, but don't seem entirely useful, more like novelty items. This is especially true of the various "rocket launcher" type weapons. Frozen Ferret Launcher and Meson Cannon both clearly state they are rocket launchers. So area of effect / splash damage right? Wrong! They are single target weapons which makes no sense since they are literally shoulder fired cannons. *shrug* If you are playing for the role-play effect go crazy, but the 'normal' weapons of the same rank are much better from the looks of it.

2) Energy Weapons >>> ALL. Allow me to explain some quick maths. Energy weapons have roughly equivalent dmg to conventional weapons but have a -30% penalty hitting meat targets vs. armored targets. Sounds like a lot, until you take into consideration that they bypass ALL armor. All of it. So that 30% dmg loss would have easily been soaked by armor shooting a normal weapon w/o high penetration. (non sniper rifle basically). I will gladly take the 30% dmg "loss" for the fact that all the rest of the dmg is applied fully. If you pay attention to the formula laid out in the tutorial you will see that high armor can soak 80% dmg easily so you are in no way penalized for running a full energy squad.

Related to 2, and oddly, energy weapons are now really 'elemental' weapons, they ripped of DOS2 with this. You'd think you would need weird science skill to wield energy weapons but you 100% do not. They are actually controlled by the relevant weapon skill. So big guns, automatic, etc etc. making weird science even less useful. There seems to be no compelling reason not to use them after 10+ hours of watching them melt faces armored and unarmored alike. So tl;dr- Energy Cell Ammo is the only limiting factor in putting your entire party into energy weapons.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
upload_2020-9-2_0-5-32.png

a bug that makes justice to the beautiful 2D aet of items?
:)

equipped guns should should be seen way bigger in the inventory UI

jackofshadows

Magister
2) Energy Weapons >>> ALL. Allow me to explain some quick maths. Energy weapons have roughly equivalent dmg to conventional weapons but have a -30% penalty hitting meat targets vs. armored targets. Sounds like a lot, until you take into consideration that they bypass ALL armor. All of it. So that 30% dmg loss would have easily been soaked by armor shooting a normal weapon w/o high penetration. (non sniper rifle basically). I will gladly take the 30% dmg "loss" for the fact that all the rest of the dmg is applied fully. If you pay attention to the formula laid out in the tutorial you will see that high armor can soak 80% dmg easily so you are in no way penalized for running a full energy squad.
Disagree. I barely see so far (17 lvl) any problem with enemie's armor except for some rare bosses (which are no problem for snipers or explosives anyway) and I went for luck with gunslinger girl so even she's fine. The only real upside of the energy weapons is some occasional effects like shock (it "charms" turrels btw) freeze etc. And of course they're still extremely effective vs robots/sinths which energy cells are for, basically.

LJ40

Cipher
SpaceWizardz has helpfully uploaded the covers of
the Green Acres theme and Wang Chung's Everybody Have Fun Tonight.

These are new to me, so I'm a bit disappointed that the soundtrack that came with the collector's edition wasn't comprehensive.

The Welcome Back Kotter theme song is in there too. If there's a *complete* version of the soundtrack, I would very much like to hear it.

Mystary!

Arcane
Bit confused by the xp system. My Bookworm with 8 Charisma levels up slower than my Charisma 1 dude.
Is it because of how often their skills are being used?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Disagree. I barely see so far (17 lvl) any problem with enemie's armor except for some rare bosses (which are no problem for snipers or explosives anyway) and I went for luck with gunslinger girl so even she's fine. The only real upside of the energy weapons is some occasional effects like shock (it "charms" turrels btw) freeze etc. And of course they're still extremely effective vs robots/sinths which energy cells are for, basically.

There is also the problem with ammo.

jackofshadows

Magister
Bit confused by the xp system. My Bookworm with 8 Charisma levels up slower than my Charisma 1 dude.
Yes, skills like lockpick or nerd stuff are provide quite a lot of XP.

Has anyone done Quarex's quest?

Edit: nvm I think it's bugged.
87B92C05D8CBF5C18D922B249944745687C84F96

I've found him in The Warrens but his pitch makes little sense. Whhich monsters? I cleared the whole map last time. Or he means the mobs back in CS?

Last edited:

jungl

Augur
So 15 hours later 2 things I have noticed very strongly that no one appears to be talking about as most posts seem to be subjective thoughts on the game vs. actual data-

1) Weird Science weapons are weird yes, but don't seem entirely useful, more like novelty items. This is especially true of the various "rocket launcher" type weapons. Frozen Ferret Launcher and Meson Cannon both clearly state they are rocket launchers. So area of effect / splash damage right? Wrong! They are single target weapons which makes no sense since they are literally shoulder fired cannons. *shrug* If you are playing for the role-play effect go crazy, but the 'normal' weapons of the same rank are much better from the looks of it.

Related to 2, and oddly, energy weapons are now really 'elemental' weapons, they ripped of DOS2 with this. You'd think you would need weird science skill to wield energy weapons but you 100% do not. They are actually controlled by the relevant weapon skill. So big guns, automatic, etc etc. making weird science even less useful. There seems to be no compelling reason not to use them after 10+ hours of watching them melt faces armored and unarmored alike. So tl;dr- Energy Cell Ammo is the only limiting factor in putting your entire party into energy weapons.

its easy to get penetration to hurt most enemies. There also the pistol ability that cuts armor in half which makes even robots weak to normal guns.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
So backtracking on my claim on melee skills, they can be useful if leveled up correctly and given the right stats, as I found yesterday. I do agree with complaints regarding Weird Science though. Specced a character to be able to use them and while some of its items are fairly good (the sonic emitter can be helpful in certain scenarios), most of them are incredibly situational at best or impractical at worst. The weird science armor pieces seem neat too, but most of them have strength requirements that seem somewhat counter-intuitive depending on what build you're going for. I just straight-up haven't bothered with big guns because it just looks like a whole bunch of gimmick weapons.

Brickfrog

Learned
I made a buff/debuff leadership and weird science mule and I'm pretty happy with him. Just having him run around using demoralize, rally, and sonic emitter is working fine, but on ranger it seems like everything works anyway.
There's an armor set that requires 6 weird science that's good. Also the +30% experience from max charisma is actually pretty insane. On my next run I'm gonna have max charisma skill mule for sure.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Yes, skills like lockpick or nerd stuff are provide quite a lot of XP.

Has anyone done Quarex's quest?

Edit: nvm I think it's bugged.
87B92C05D8CBF5C18D922B249944745687C84F96

I've found him in The Warrens but his pitch makes little sense. Whhich monsters? I cleared the whole map last time. Or he means the mobs back in CS?
It's not bugged, there are wolverines near the broken pipe in the Warren's. You haven't been paying attention to what he said.

Anyway, I like that after clearing a location some critters appeared, in general world in W3 feels a lot more responsive and dynamic than in W2 or DOS.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom