Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Scarlet Republics is an upcoming tactical RPG set in a fantasy Renaissance Italy, now on Kickstarter

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Audacity Interactive; Scarlet Republics

Scarlet Republics is an upcoming isometric turn-based tactical RPG in development by a Danish team called Audacity Interactive which showed up on Kickstarter today. The game is set in a fantasy Mediterranean setting inspired by Renaissance Italy, where players will assume the role of a pair of siblings leading a mercenary company in their quest for revenge. Gameplay-wise, it's inspired by tactical JRPGs such as Fire Emblem as well as Divinity: Original Sin 2, with the random character growth mechanic of the former. The game will also have a strong emphasis on choice & consequence. Here's the pitch video and introductory section from the Kickstarter page:

Scarlet Republics is what would happen if Fire Emblem had a love-child with Divinity and a Joe Abercrombie book. It’s a tactical RPG inspired by a mix of western and Japanese gameplay with a deeply interactive and immersive story.

The game is set in the vibrant and treacherous City-states of Corsano, a fantasy world inspired by the Italian Renaissance and the art of Leonardo Da Vinci. The game tells a mature fantasy story of vengeance and conquest, with plenty of choice, consequence and wit.

Ok, so we love choice-driven stories. They’re the ultimate promise of the interactive experience that video games provide. Nothing quite matches the pride and accomplishment that you feel when the credits roll on a story that you felt you co-authored along the way. This feeling has been the lodestar we’ve followed while building Scarlet Republics. This is also why we’ve designed the game in the ultimate genre, the Tactical RPG. Our goal is to give you a game where mastery means feeling that pride about not only the story but also your squad of heroes… or villains, if you’re that kind of player.

Scarlet Republics is set to release on PC and consoles in 2022.

Key Features
  • Outwit the Enemy with Masterful Tactics: In Scarlet Republics you guide a squad of mercenaries in turn-based combat. The game features 7 unique classes divided over 20 playable characters. It’s up to you to pick and mold your squad to suit your playstyle and strategies.
  • Get Creative with Squad-Building: We’ve built the RPG system to match customization with organic, pseudo-random growths that provide interesting and varied avenues for squad building and gut-wrenching choices for how to grow your characters. This means that no two players will end up with the same squad.
  • Did We Mention Choice?: Large parts of the game, including entire battle-maps and quests, are choice specific and it is impossible to see it all in one playthrough. The game features 4 different main endings, but the fate of individual characters or factions may differ vastly across these.
  • Machiavellian Politics and Scheming City-States: The game is set in a low-fantasy world in the country of Corsano. Inspired by the Mediterranean, the Renaissance and the vineyards and olive groves of Italy and Greece, Corsano is a land of vibrant colors, heady spices, merchant lords, pirates, politics, intrigue and, of course, war, as different city-states and princes vie for control and dominion over the country.
  • Da Vinci's Imagination and Dramatic Tango: The game’s art style is inspired by Renaissance art and the sketches of the master Leonardo Da Vinci. The soundtrack mixes classical fantasy with inspirations from tango and flamenco for a dramatic sunset vibe. In fact, if you want the full immersion, why don’t you listen to it while you read the rest of the Kickstarter?

Audacity are looking to raise a minimum of €10,000 to fund the development of Scarlet Republics. That's a paltry sum, so I guess the real point of this will be the stretch goals. You can secure copy of the game for €19 right now, with beta access available at €69. As stated, it's due out in April 2022. For more details, be sure to read the full Kickstarter pitch. You may also want to follow the game's Steam page and official website.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Unlike others, I don't mind more attempts in this space. The more devs that try, the more likely we'll get good games.

At worst, we'll get some decent drama.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
They didn't ask for much, but still got it in under a day. Let's see how they do with a jump to $35k for the first stretch goal, though.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
I can hear Sawyer's cry of anguish and fury from here.

For those of you not understanding the joke - Josh Sawyer, for years now, has been saying his wish is to make a historical (or semi-historical) game set in Renaissance Italy. Someone just beat him to it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's not a historical RPG. This is a fantasy setting (with magic and everything) inspired by Renaissance Italy.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Eeew squares :killit:
Squares, hexes, circles, trapezoids.... they'll say

image.jpg

Risewild

Arbiter
We want you to be able to play the game the way you want to.
Randomized stat growth on characters. So you have to adapt to how your characters are growing and play accordingly.

Doesn't that sound like it contradicts each other?

Also they say they got those random stat growth from jRPGs, but usually jRPGs have static stat growth at level up. Which is another thing that seems to contradict each other.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I think they're referring to a particular JRPG - Fire Emblem.

Risewild

Arbiter
I think they're referring to a particular JRPG - Fire Emblem.
That makes more sense. But the way they said it confused me.

They said "Taking cues from beloved Japanese RPGs." while they meant "Taking cues from a beloved Japanese Tactical RPG series."

At least for me, jRPGs are different from jTRPGs, so I got confused when they mentioned Japanese RPGs and not Japanese Tactical RPGs.
Damn devs not using the right acronyms! :lol:

_V_

Scholar
We want you to be able to play the game the way you want to.
Randomized stat growth on characters. So you have to adapt to how your characters are growing and play accordingly.

Doesn't that sound like it contradicts each other?

Also they say they got those random stat growth from jRPGs, but usually jRPGs have static stat growth at level up. Which is another thing that seems to contradict each other.
It's about two different aspects.
1. Story: Choices and Consequences. (Depending on how "organic" they pull it off, choices that matter can be cool. But too often studios that set out on this track end up with a game that feels formulaic.)
2. Character development: Adapt to what RNG gives you. (I prefer deciding development myself. )

IMHO, players should have to adapt to combat situations and not to shitty RNG that forces char development into a direction you don't want. But games like Battle Brothers strike a good balance in that regard, so the possibility for something good exists even with that feature...

I pledged for early bird. Cause, why not.

Narax

Educated
20+ playable characters? something tells me they will have the depth of an npc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom