Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline is partly caused by fanboyism.

• Thread starter Duralux for Durabux
  • Start date

Poll #71547

• Total voters

Duralux for Durabux

Do you remember back when Bethesda,Obsidian, etc... received overwhelming praise by everyone?
Do you remember back when it was impossible for many people to shit on CD projekt, Bethesda , Bioware, etc...?
Let's be real for a second, if game companies weren't be praise as gods on earth, they would try their best at every installments . But since they have fanatical fanboys on their shoes,day and night, seeking any blasphemy on their favorite company, they won't try to do better. Why Would they? In any case they will buy the game because it was marketed by X and Y and not by Z. The worst exemples of Fanboy are CD Projekt fanboys.

• CD Projekt pushes DLCs which mean releasing shunk of game at launch? It's okay for players, it adds numbers of hours for players.
  • CD Projekt pushes Microtransactions?
    gwent_card_kegs.jpg
    It's okay they do better than Blizzard and Activision and EA( The real evils).
  • CD Projekt releases outdated gameplay,shit driving, retarded AI in a gameplay trailer of a future game? What are you talking about? It's a CD Projekt game it will be good.
  • CD Projekt releases a mobile game? It's okay after all it's CDPR, It's not EA and activision
In Conclusion : Stop being a fanboy. By being a fanboy of anything or any game(even its a masterpiece), you support decline. Be heavily critical in everything. Don't allow a single flaw (in a review or in an opinion) even if it's CD Projekt,Black Isles,etc... behind it.

Avarize

Magister
Fanboyism is even the reason why working in the industry sucks. Retarded fanboys will work for no pay in shitty conditions just to achieve their fanboys dreams.

No. Decline is caused by:

1. Mainstreamization of gaming audience. Back in the 80s and 90s, very few people owned PCs, and they tended to be more intelligent on average than the regular person. Today, everyone owns PCs, and moreover, games are cross-platform generally, so the gaming audience is everyone. So the IQ of the average gamer probably went down by something like 20 points from 90s to today.

2. Games becoming more expensive to make and a huge industry. This forced out smaller dev and publishing companies, and turned over all control to publishing giants like EA, Ubisoft and Activision. It goes without saying that these huge companies are in it only for profit, and have zero interest in doing anything artistic.

So, money oriented suits making games for the average retards. That is what the decline is.

Vlajdermen

Arcane
Fanboyism is even the reason why working in the industry sucks. Retarded fanboys will work for no pay in shitty conditions just to achieve their fanboys dreams.
The vidya industry and animation industry have the same problem of feeding off dreams of soy boys

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
I guess you can argue the studios are downstream of the community they probably come from, so soyboys are part of the problem.

Darkzone

Arcane

1. Mainstreamization of gaming audience. Back in the 80s and 90s, very few people owned PCs, and they tended to be more intelligent on average than the regular person. Today, everyone owns PCs, and moreover, games are cross-platform generally, so the gaming audience is everyone. So the IQ of the average gamer probably went down by something like 20 points from 90s to today.
Technically also the intelligence of the computer games makers went down, due to more accessible and usable tools and cheap game engines. (Just making fun.... Or not?)

2. Games becoming more expensive to make and a huge industry. This forced out smaller dev and publishing companies, and turned over all control to publishing giants like EA, Ubisoft and Activision. It goes without saying that these huge companies are in it only for profit, and have zero interest in doing anything artistic. So, money oriented suits making games for the average retards. That is what the decline is.
The production goals shifted to be more accessible for wider audience. Now the meshes, textures and animations have to look good which consumes a lot of work hours, while the intelligent structures of story, game mechanic and etc has been sacrificed for the wider appearance. But smaller indie devs can survive in the niche, that has been opened up due to the changes and different preferences of audience groups. And this smaller indie devs can produce games to certain parameters and sell it on platforms like Steam and Gog (Epic Store is still not there, but is working on it ).
I believe Fargo has received 30k for making of BT1 now this would not be enough for the Pizza delivery for the devs, to make a small modern game. Also i wouldn't blame the suits alone for this, since Kickstarter has proven that they are sometimes as necessary as a creative developer. At least to remind the developer that money exists and that for everything has to be paid, like for the Pizza, Mountain Dew and the electricity for his computer.
But overall i agree with your statement.

It's hard to say what Kickstarter proved exactly, since most of the money there went to either outright hucksters or washed up devs of years past with a name and zero left in the tank. I wonder if some kind of a guided crowdsourcing system might work, where the crowd provides the funds, but there is a fund manager so to speak, who directs the money intelligently. Of course there is all sorts of potential other issues with this, but I dunno, I am grasping for straws.

Skdursh

Savant
Decline is 10% fanboyism, 90% leftism.

Edit: "Racist" I can readily accept, I mean I post here, so... you know, but the "M'lady" tag just makes absolutely no sense. White Knights / Neckbeards are almost universally Liberals. I am OBVIOUSLY not a Liberal as you can tell by my savage dunk on Leftists as well as my frequent use of gamer words. "Edgy" is probably the more poignant choice. As the kids say, "do better" next time Infinitron.

Last edited:

Takamori

Learned
Meh, decline is caused by the lack of investment in education all over the world, now you have an army of fucking retards that can't manage to use two brain cells to surpass a simple challenge. Ignorance calls for worship, so fanboyism is just a side effect of having the world populated by too many retards.
Meanwhile you have this system where people are rewarded by numbers go up! And you must be the product in order the product to suceed! So people will gobble any shit down in order to have their pathetic lives justified by Hobby/Product.

Lurker47

Savant
I feel like fanboyism would make creators feel free to get more creative (and pretentious.) But most of decline doesn't have to do with the "creator", it's more of the business aspect. Because of that, I don't think fanboyism really has anything to do with decline.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Depends on how terminal their case of mindless consumerism is. Fanboys who do nothing but consume product and integrate it into their identity and sense of self-worth are doomed to lives of vapid mediocrity. Blessed are the few whose autism drives them to find a greater understanding of what it is they worship, and how and why it went to shit in the first place.

Duralux for Durabux

Meh, decline is caused by the lack of investment in education all over the world, now you have an army of fucking retards that can't manage to use two brain cells to surpass a simple challenge.
You are confusing education with intelligence. In the contrary, I think we have too many educated persons, back then it was impossible for them to acces superior studies. Only smart people had access to them. We are creating educated idiots. Anyway, it's totally off-thread.

Sometimes it feels like most of current world DECLINE is result of political / economical reaction of current power holders (being it something like ruling political cabinets all across the globe, corporations becoming more connected in current flow of life and instituations providing stability for everyone with enough resources) to modern turbulent times requiring considerable changes. People (even most mediocre ones by mind and by spirit) still want to be in control of their own life and still want postive changes in our World - or at least something brining world out of stagnation.
But our current world is state where not a lot of people can do something about their lifes at all [unless they live in wilderness by themselves or in small community of like minded people, and even wilderness is tightly controlled in First World countries] - due to different sorts of subliminal and non-subliminal messaging, general apathy, sense of power deficiency, also general sense of DASEIN-deficiency (named by me after Martin Heidegger and it conveys sense of low existence enjoyment and low joy of life).

You can even witness how smart and able people can become husks of their former abilities and talents during their lifetimes. Broken shells of former glory and achievements. This is very sad...
Even people who hold power are not very happy beings - they have everything they want and more, but their power come from stagnation and from avarice without somebody who can challenge them for said power, for most part. They're destined for hollow life as well, even with everything they want.

Basically, our current modern state of world is state where most people are devoid of happiness, robbed out of joy of life and even counter-culture is either dying or dead for some time, depending on part of world.

Gaming industry and people who play games are not exception to this rule. Modern games become something similar to analgesic (just as most of mass culture), because people want to escape their meaningless lifes into something bigger and brighter - and corporations of all sorts capitalising on this by catetering to sort of "digital happiness" distribution where everyone can find something for themselves among many products. It is not about artistic quality becoming less and less prominent and threfore causing a DECLINE in itself (at least for me) - it is more about gaming industry becoming part of larger mass culture and people generally WANT to be happy in our stagnating world, so mass culture tries to deliver happiness to as much people as it can.

The more our World going to be DECLINING, in general - the more all parts of our culture depending on large masses of people going to be DECLINING as well. Here is no quick or easy solutions to most problems in game industry or in our World, sadly.

P.S. Sorry for bit of off-topic and hope everyone reading this is in good health.
Cheers 0/

Darkzone

Arcane
It's hard to say what Kickstarter proved exactly, since most of the money there went to either outright hucksters or washed up devs of years past with a name and zero left in the tank. I wonder if some kind of a guided crowdsourcing system might work, where the crowd provides the funds, but there is a fund manager so to speak, who directs the money intelligently. Of course there is all sorts of potential other issues with this, but I dunno, I am grasping for straws.
Fund manger that only pays if the milestones are meet. But that would require much oversight and control above the projects. But with the one time amount from KS one could get additional funding from other investment sources.
I keep on thinking about it back and forth without a good solution. Currently i think that Patreon (do not use it.. instead use SubscribeStar) type of monthly payment, that can be stopped any time, would be the best solution for keeping up the motivation while fulfilling the vision. And each month the developer should release an update about what has been achieved, in the form of the updated Early Access version of the game or and a video (shown current progress in game) and text update so that suscribers can make an informed decission. And if you have paid enough you are obliged to the release version in the form of an EA steam key, but you could still support it (patronage) further down the road.
This is currently my best guess on how to solve the problem, but it is also limited and could result in other problems.

It's patronage of the arts. Sometimes you get good art, sometimes not. Caveat emptor. I understand that treating it like a purchase is part of the motivation to back projects, but that's a mistake.
This patronage view helps you to emotionally cope with the financial loses, but it does not solve the problem.

To All:
Fanboys are never the problem! Fanboys have made all the big franchises like Star Wars, Marvel and DC Superheroes, Mario Bros, and etc! It was the Fanboys that were the first to watch and support the movies, books and other media. And Fanboys were buying the overpriced statues and figurines and every weekly edition of the comics! Fanboys are the ones who protected and raised the franchises when they were weak and given the money to make the creators rich! The once who are responsible for the downfall are the lefttards whot took the franchises over and twatter idiots which destroy this franchises piece by piece! I'm not a fanboy of anything that is currently popular, but i hate everyone who accuses the fanboys like the OP of the this thread!

Edit: Hat to put it with a exclamation mark.

Last edited:
fanboys, true fanboys, aren't an issue. weaponized fanboyism is the real problem. plants, shills, mono-game forums, echo chambers, herd effect, that's what is ruining it all. and it thrives on human ignorance and stupidity, which are more and more abundant day after day.

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer

2. Games becoming more expensive to make and a huge industry. This forced out smaller dev and publishing companies, and turned over all control to publishing giants like EA, Ubisoft and Activision. It goes without saying that these huge companies are in it only for profit, and have zero interest in doing anything artistic.

So, money oriented suits making games for the average retards. That is what the decline is.
It's not that I strongly disagree with those points, but I think they are not necessarily accurate...

1. Yeah, maybe. But I have not noticed this among my players. It's actually probably opposite. Since I make games for old geezers they are actually quite smarter compared to teenagers they were in the 90s :) I mean, in the 90s everyone was a teenager and that's it. But now the average player's age is 35 or something (it goes up all the time), so...

2. Yes and no. For smaller devs is much cheaper because you can self publish. It was not possible in the 90s (it was possible in the 80s for a while with the British "bedroom coders" on ZX-Spectrum but it has not lasted for long).

Sigourn

uooh afficionado

You can remove consoles and I guarantee nearly nothing would change. This is because you are implying computers are extremely complex to use compared to consoles. That may have been so 30, 35 years ago. But not any longer, and not for the past 20 years for sure (when multiplatform games became this "disease").

Nowadays everyone has access to cellphones, computers, and so forth. And consoles are also considerably more complex than they used to be, with "plug and play" rarely being a thing today. People don't live in an imagined vacuum where the only technologies they know of are consoles and TVs. It's such a dumb criticism from people stuck in the 80s, when non-graphical UIs were a thing.

The nerd that got into programming in the 80s was probably smarter than the guy that didn't own a PC and could only play games on console instead of doing anything else. But guess what, loads more people have access to PCs nowadays, and the amount of people doing something with them other than browsing YouTube, Instagram and so forth are the minority.

1. Yeah, maybe. But I have not noticed this among my players. It's actually probably opposite. Since I make games for old geezers they are actually quite smarter compared to teenagers they were in the 90s :) I mean, in the 90s everyone was a teenager and that's it. But now the average player's age is 35 or something (it goes up all the time), so...

2. Yes and no. For smaller devs is much cheaper because you can self publish. It was not possible in the 90s (it was possible in the 80s for a while with the British "bedroom coders" on ZX-Spectrum but it has not lasted for long).

1. I don't know what kind of games you make, but I am guessing more niche than the typical stuff. I can't look at battle royales and card games and MOBAs and not think the audience is a lot dumber than when you had a lot more challenging RPGs, MMOs, RTSs, adventure games, etc.

2. Yes, it's cheaper for indie games to be made today, but it's not exactly the same. Other than a few outliers, most indie games are utter shit that is not even trying. This is very different from actual professional studios in the past that worked on lower budgets than companies have today, but were still on a much higher level.

Darkzone

Arcane
fanboys, true fanboys, aren't an issue. weaponized fanboyism is the real problem. plants, shills, mono-game forums, echo chambers, herd effect, that's what is ruining it all. and it thrives on human ignorance and stupidity, which are more and more abundant day after day.
Spoken like a true lefttard and despite that you don't have to be one, you still have internalised their agenda. I will try to explain it in a manner that you will understand:
If Tommy and Johnny build their tree house in their garden, with their money and puting their work into it. Then Billy and Jane who do not own the tree, nor bought the boards and neither build the roof, have no rights to it. And if they come into Tommy's and Johnny's tree house and demand that they share the tree house with them and play with them the games that they like and not the games that Tommy and Johnny like, then Billy and Jane are just asholes with a false sense of entitlement. This tree house are the echo chambers of the fans (short for fanatics) and Tommy and Johnny are the herd that supports the franchise. And they have the right to defend their tree house and the games they want to play in their tree house ( fanboyism is the act of aggressively defending of the fandom's subject).
There is no "problematic weaponiszed fanboyism", there is only true fans (defending their fandom's subject) and false fans who pretend to be fans, but they never were. Shills (someone disguised as a customer, but is the accomplice of a swindler) are the false fans and this are always the leftards and the degenerates from twatter, that pretend to buy and support the franchises if the companies implement their degenerate agenda and changes to it. Echo chambers and herd mentality is the main attribute of the left, since they need the blinkers for denial of the reality, but not of the fans since they exactly know the reasons for their fandom and they do not infringe other fandoms to change them to their fandom.
As not a fan of Warhammer i wouldn't go to the Warhammer game sessions and community and demand that they change it, because i think that "the Winged Lancers should be the bestest evaar" shit or so. I wouldn't do it, because i'm not a degenerate self entitled piece of shit. If the Warhammer fans want to be in their "echo chamber" then more power to them. And i don't need to go to there if i don't like how they play their game.

Last edited:

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
As I said, appealing to the lowest common denominator is the cancer that kills anything. As soon as games became profitable business and were recognized as such by the suits, big business engaged in the gamedev industry and started producing soulless, uninspired and casualized titles.

95% of modern bestseller games are form over substance, simplified and overall easy to engage at all levels.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom