Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Crusader Kings III

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
So simply by controlling his own capital, he's "winning the war"? I'm also controlling my capital too. So it makes zero sense.
You want to conquer him. He wants to stay free. By staying free, he's winning the war, yes.

mondblut

Arcane
That is stricter than it was in CK2, right? I can't tell if that's just fucked up CK2 memories on my part or if it is harder to get single heir succession in CK3. I do vaguely remember it being harder to get single heir succession if you started off as a tribal potato, but I don't remember stuff like the hard year-cap of 1050, thought it was just getting high crown authority over a few generations and then passing the law or something before. Guess it also might be that CK3's a bit different than CK2 if you start off in Bumfuck Nowhere rather than being a minor king.

I've read that chechs can have seniority from day one, which makes them a natural culture of choice for anyone who is not a larper pussy who loves giving away his hard-earned stuff.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I think it's time to involve our resident expert on UI: Lacrymas, how do you feel about the UI of CK3? :smug:
It's aesthetically better than Solasta's (which is truly an abomination, I don't have the words), but that's it. It seems all over the place in terms of button placement, but I'm not that big into grand strategy games (not that I don't like them, I just haven't taken the time to get into them yet) so I'm not sure what you need where.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
First born getting shit is Biblical. I don't understand why it's difficult to explain (to people of the time), especially to Christians, that one dude can inherit everything. Is it really historical?

I guess it has a lot to do with how it defines castle. Building something for a son would I imagine seem normal in that time. Not like there's a lack of space.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
First born getting shit is Biblical. I don't understand why it's difficult to explain (to people of the time), especially to Christians, that one dude can inherit everything. Is it really historical?

I guess it has a lot to do with how it defines castle. Building something for a son would I imagine seem normal in that time. Not like there's a lack of space.
I mean the game seems to have gone all in on you assassinating your opposition. Is that historical?

Lacrymas

Arcane

It's kind of complicated. Christianity sanctions/recognizes two types of inheritance - gavelkind and primogeniture. In a gavelkind system, the eldest son inherits only the title of his father, his other children inherit the lands and wealth. Primogeniture is when the eldest son inherits everything, but as far as I remember there's only one such instance in the Bible. That of Isaac's sons, Esau and Jacob. Esau "sold" his right of inheritance to Jacob for food, so it's not a hard and fast rule. There's also the divine right of kings, but that's something else imo.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
In a gavelkind system, the eldest son inherits only the title of his father, his other children inherit the lands and wealth.
What's he gonna do with a cool title, but living on the street with a big fucking nothing?

Kem0sabe

Arcane
After playing it for a bunch of hours, i'm gutted having to say that this is the most disappointing game release of the last few years. I was extremely excited about playing this, having played CK2 for years, but this plays more like a slightly deeper Imperator than a true sequel to CK2.

The game is too streamlined, the character shenanigans that made the previous game a great RPG are now relegated to the backseat while the focus is squarely on map painting.

As it stands, CK2 is still a vastly superior experience and its not worth it to upgrade to this sequel.

Mortmal

Arcane
Isn't there a way to display the line of succession ? Have you tried playing with the title in question to see if it appears somewhere on its window ?

On CK2 it was under the individual titles, try looking at those?
Dont know where it is either but i'll find out,its probably hidden behind one of those streamlined phone game panels . Just dicovered you can modify the amount of levee and tax you gets from the vassals, you have to get them one by one beside the domain panel ...I prefered to change the slider in cK2 modifying 60 vassals one by one not so much.

Smoker

Scholar
Materinal marrying your youngest daughter to the strongest knight in the land :positive:

Highlighting in the UI is nice. My biggest UI complaint so far is changing speed with the mouse moves the map.. and selecting armies is off and sucks during whack a mole and events popping up while you're clicking fucking up whatever you were just looking at. Shrinking the ui in the options helped. I hate that people that maim each other don't become rivals..

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
On the plus side UI-wise the character finder seems to work a lot better now. Marriages/betrothals are much nicer to arrange. But I agree that it's more difficult now to work out who tf actually owns what quickly.

I'm a fan of the new trait system. Certain traits used to be always good while others always sucked. Now they seem to inform the characters playstyle and interactions a lot further.

The combat system is also an improvement over the old gameyness of mixed troop types actually tanking your combat performance by making your commanders play unsuitable strategies. Combined troop type forces are actually useful now due to the countering system (previously having 15 heavy foot in a stack of 5,000 light horse would cause them to try and form a shieldwall. The men-at-arms system is good.

Been having fun in my Asturias playthrough tbh. Game seems a little easier and I've been slowly rolling the Muslims out of Spain without too much difficulty (though Ivar the Boneless landed in Galacia with a scary ass invasion stack and put me through a very painful and long war that took the Franks to bail me out and even then only just).

I wouldn't say this is a Day 1 must-buy but definitely not as bad as some people here are suggesting. I think it'll shape up quite nicely with some patches and mods over time.
Either you are retarded and haven't played ck2 in your life,or you are lying. Either way,go fok yourself faggit!

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
How is the list of concubines populated? I got only two ugly bitches, I want neither.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Noob questions.
- Is it possible to marry some cunt, and then assassinate a lot lot lot of people and then the throne of some foreign land is yours? How would I proceed?

For example, I see that there's current ruler, and his heir. But there's no heir's heir.
Too much work,just create new religion and go declare a religious war for kingdom title and ocupie a few provinces,then profit.

Byzantium rolling over everything, not only its super stable now not a single revolt ever, but you have far more armies than anything around. Seems holy war dont create coalitions against you, you crush the muslims one by one, they never defend against you,send shitty levies, even abassides have like 1/3 of your manpower. Absolutely no challenge so far, everything is easily kept in check, feel like playing stellaris sort of.
Yeah,the ai lacks any agency. It really is a map painting simulator for retards. There is a absolutely no treat in the game. I just created my fate and conquered all the holy sites in like a 5 years. There is absolutely no flavour in the fucking game,i am burning Rome in 920 year and nobody is fucking caring lol. Same with all the other places. Also the enemies can't even send their armies against you,while the wars end after 2-3 occupations lol. Declare war for some kingdom title,occupy 5 random counties and the enemy surrenders.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
fantadomat it's just a game mate.
:lol:
Oh i know,doesn't mean you shouldn't have a bit of passion for your hobby :). Now i when to the local shop begun bitching about how shit CK3 is and people should agree with me......then yeah i am too far gone :). Thank God i still do differentiate the real world from a niche forum for gamez.

That said,fuck that war declaration music is total shit,too loud and meh in the epicness department.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
How is the list of concubines populated? I got only two ugly bitches, I want neither.
Don't worry mate,they are all ugly cows. I am getting all the beautiful trait cunts.....and non of them is even passable,they are all fat and look like germans. SJWs just can't in to women :decline:.

Harthwain

Magister
My character happened to be a handsome gay and the game gave me the option to start a Romance/Seduction scheme involving the Pope (who is bisexual). :philosoraptor: All on standard settings, by the way.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
tl;dr: how many features does this lack compared to full ck2?
A lot,the find character function lacks decent amount of options,the different maps lack a shit load of options,the raise armies do lack options,character diplomacy does lack a lot of options,scheming seems like a downgrade too,battles tactics and such seem dumbed down. There must be a few more,but can't come up to mind.

EDIT: Ohhh also the music player is not in the game,oh and the message options are missing.Now you get swarmed by pointless shit like oh you won a battle,but have no way to disable them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom