Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Last Of Us 2 - now with protagonist-murdering trannies

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Ea8O3Y6WoAE-Ki5.png

kangaxx

Arbiter
Why are people surprised this sold well? It was always going to sell well regardless.

It could have been literally this gif on repeat for 20 hours (just replace the figures with Druckmann fucking a troon) and it would have broken gaming review and sales records:

:fallout3:

Some anecdata for you: both of my brothers hate SJW crap. However, they aren't autistic like me and therefore they steer clear of gaming forums on the internet. So they just had the 10/10 reviews to go by. This is the vast majority of the game-buying public.

Anyway, both bought of them the game... both loathed it just like I told them. However, they're both statistically happy customers being argued about in the thread above.

I realise it's another small sample, but the metacritic user score vs. journo reviews are quite funny, and maybe more instructive as to how the game landed with the public. Who knows.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Why are people surprised this sold well? It was always going to sell well regardless.

I don't know if you got the "trade-ins suspended" image right.

Sure the game sold well initially, the point is when people caught up with reality they started trading-in their copies in such numbers stores had to suspend trade-ins altogether.

kangaxx

Arbiter
I don't know if you got the "trade-ins suspended" image right.

Sure the game sold well initially, the point is when people caught up with reality they started trading-in their copies in such numbers stores had to suspend trade-ins altogether.

Yep I've seen it floating around before. I think the point is that it sold very well in spite of all the trade-ins. It fits in perfectly with my anecdata, which is that many people just bought it "because"... then realised how bad it was when it was too late.

Madawc

Educated
Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I don't mean to be a party pooper, but that's an old pic and I'm pretty sure it was confirmed the trade-ins were suspended due to covid.

Jigawatt

Arcane
Confirmed by who? Why would anyone suspend trade-ins due to covid? What's the logic here? Link?

The store is JB Hi Fi Australia, here's a link: https://www.jbhifi.com.au/pages/games-trade-in-disclaimers

Games trade-ins are temporarily suspended. We thank you for cooperation and look forward to re-instating this shortly.

It's been that way since early April, predating not only the release of tlou2 but also the leaks. As to why - well the early response to covid is Aus was very strange, official government guideline had stuff like haircuts were ok, but only if less than 30 minutes. So who knows where the rule came from or if there's any logic behind it

I had to fly back to the States for family crap and some places weren’t taking physical money either. Suspending game trade-ins isn’t unreasonable. The dude’s trying to live in a world that doesn’t exist at the moment.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Surprised this hasn't been posted yet:

He seems to have enjoyed the gameplay, but thinks the story is a mess and the ludonarrative dissonance is impossible to ignore.

Some harsh critiques on the plot:

based boy mathew said:
"Some of these empathy building exercises with her felt extremely forced on my first playtrough, and I still think the zebra one is so ham-fisted it actually works against Abby because it reveals the hand of the writer conspiring in her favor."

"The first time Ellie did this... [footage of Elie shooting Abby in the face triggering a game over screen] I laughed. Not in a callous way, mind you, but because some kind of absurdity crashed down on me at this point. Just hours earlier, redecorating Abby's face was the goal But now it was a failure state. Flipping the script made it abundantly clear how little agency I had as a player. So, all a sudden, the game felt like 2 puppets I was barely in control of, acting out a film I had no impact on. I would have been perfectly content to just set the controller down at this point and let them tell the story they had to tell, because I lost any interest in pretending to pull the strings."

"Despite all of this , the main reason the ending didn't work for me is much more simple. Ellie hasn't seen Abby's side of the story. In order to understand Ellie's perpective, we need to forget all of the Abby chapters. So, regardless of how you feel about Abby by the end to Ellie she's still Joel's killer, first and foremost. Letting Abby go at the last moment, specially after getting two of her finger bitten off, strikes me as dishonest. Not to mention, she had killed over a hundred people just to get to this moment, which is one hell of a sunk cost."

"If this NPC [Abby's father] can turn out to have a backstory, then it stands to reason all those people Ellie killed have stories of their own. I thought this was the point of giving them names and blood curdling screams. By sparring Abby it seems as though Ellie has retained her humanity and become the last of us too. But you've to ignore all those other kills to think so."

"Likewise, Ellie leaving Joel's guitar behind rings equally hollow. It smacks of a desire to end the narrative on a profound image, while ignoring that this just isn't how people behave. Even if my entire reading of the story is wrong and Ellie actually hates Joel, it's still hard to imagine she would leave an heirloom to rot this like. There's a million alternate ending you could propose, so I don't expect my suggestion to change any minds. All I know is whatever intellectual way I might try to rationalize the ending, nothing will change the fact it didn't felt right in the moment. It's as though the story does everything it can to justify Abby's behavior, then fails to honor Ellie's rage once it returns to her perspective. Stories aren't bad just because the protagonist gets fucked over. I would even say TLoU2 ends on a relatively hopeful note anyway, with the implication being that Ellie has nowhere to go but up. Still, considering how well the fist game ended, I think there needed to be a stronger justification for revisiting this character. After all, it's not just that the sequel left me nothing to think about, but also the ambiguity of the first ending is gone now too. Unlike last time I am not apprehensive about how they might continue with Ellie, but I'm not invested either.

Olinser

Savant
Only 6,3 mil as of 30 aug? That's seem way off, no?

Why? It's been shown over and over again. Sales cratered on this piece of crap after the opening weekend. It hasn't been on the top 10 weekly sales since early July. Any time anybody tries to brag about sales it's some variation of FASTEST SELLING OPENING WEEKEND, FOUR MILLION COPIES. The only reason its even gotten where it is, is because you can get a copy for cheap ($35 on Amazon right now).

NOBODY is talking about this game anymore. Shills have moved on, they know that nobody is listening to them. Nobody is recommending you play it. A few people are buying it from the bargain bin, but that's it.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Why? It's been shown over and over again. Sales cratered on this piece of crap after the opening weekend. It hasn't been on the top 10 weekly sales since early July. Any time anybody tries to brag about sales it's some variation of FASTEST SELLING OPENING WEEKEND, FOUR MILLION COPIES. The only reason its even gotten where it is, is because you can get a copy for cheap ($35 on Amazon right now).

NOBODY is talking about this game anymore. Shills have moved on, they know that nobody is listening to them. Nobody is recommending you play it. A few people are buying it from the bargain bin, but that's it.

They later reported that it was the third-highest selling Sony PS exclusive of all time, total sales. Though it had no real numbers and it seemed far-fetched, but that's the NPD said. Citation fucking needed on this both ways, really, but it's not in their interest to clarify apparently.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Dude Mathew's channel is pretty much dedicated to console games, so of course he would cover this one
30 minute reviews aren't honestly that long, for me that is. I would say 30min seems like the sweetspot between brevity and comprehensiveness
Specially when you compare it to autists like Joseph Anderson and Noah Caldwell-Gervais
Speaking of which the latter's review of LoU2 is a fucking travesty, he shamelessly defends the most egregious aspects of the game's plot

Wunderbar

Arcane
Dude Mathew's channel is pretty much dedicated to console games, so of course he would cover this one
eh, his best videos are the ones where he recommends obscure weeb/indie/indie weeb titles. 5-20 minutes long, no plot-retelling bullshit. Sweet and concise.

Specially when you compare it to autists like Joseph Anderson and Noah Caldwell-Gervais
Speaking of which the latter's review of LoU2 is a fucking travesty, he shamelessly defends the most egregious aspects of the game's plot
on top of being autists who make 5 hours long videos full of unedited rambling, they are also pathetic storyfags.

DemonKing

Arcane
The lack of agency in this game is the real issue as the gameplay is pretty decent for a console title and production values are excellent. The most glaring bit is when Elle has to beat some info out of someone to progress and the game will literally not let you continue until you hit the button confirming the beating may commence. I literally put the controller down and walked away for 5 minutes and when I came back Elle was still standing there shivering in rage waiting for me to finally give in and click. Game is literally an interactive movie.

I daresay having the two playable characters consisting of a slight lesbian and a steroid-riddled she hulk did not exactly tick many boxes with the core gaming audience either. I'm sure they did plenty of focus groups with the woke crowd though!

Drakron

Arcane
So, regardless of how you feel about Abby by the end to Ellie she's still Joel's killer, first and foremost. Letting Abby go at the last moment, specially after getting two of her finger bitten off, strikes me as dishonest.

I think I said this ... Abby gets her revenge, learns nothing from it and gets away with it as Ellie forgives Abby because? I mean ... Abby made Ellie watch, Joel didnt kill Abby's father in front of her and made her watch, Joel killed him in self defense unless they want to retcon that bit as well, Joel also saved Ellie's life as he could had walked away and let Dumbfuck M.D. kill Ellie for "muh vaccine".

Its a tale of two sociopaths, Abby that shown no remorse or empathy towards Ellie and Ellie that sacrifices everything for nothing, its true Ellie body count at that point makes it really iffy for her to let Abby walk but she does so because? Its not that she got some revelation because the player might seen Abby sections but Ellie didnt, if she was going to let it go and try to retain some of her life then she would never gone after Abby again because she knew what was going to happen.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Neil is doing overtime.

Troy Baker is still shilling for this piece of shit :)
8z3p3oqszbo51.png

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Noah is the most boring of the bunch, his videos are literally sleeping pills, but as far as I seen he's overly positive about everything. Is there a single video where he bashes anything?

He bashed VtMB for showing tities and being edgy sometimes.

Yeah. Mathew, Noah and Joseph for me all seem to belong in the same category of game reviewer.
Joseph is autistic because he needs 10 minutes to explain something a normal person could in 1 minute at most, plus he sometimes has downright stupid complaints and praises.
Noah might not make videos as lenghty as Joseph, but he sure does love to talk on end. Also he's usually harsh on stupid details but can overlook serious flaws if likes the game, AND he gives little importance to the gameplay unless it's bad enough to annoy.
Mathew is the better of the bunch (even if sometimes I don't agree with him). His videos are succinct, well constructed and comprehensive.
But for some fucking reason, aside from the occasional obscure tile or niche indie, he only does videos on console games. And even in that list he doesn't vary. It's either games from Nintendo, Platinum or famous Playstation exclusives.

Last edited:

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Noah Caldwell-Gervais
That's the pretentious piece of shit that said it was bad for Modern Warfare 2 to have s mission in favelas because muh poor brown people, but it was very good that Russians get to shoot up US suburbia later on.

He also whined about a Vietnam mod taking place in Vietnam and letting you shoot Vietcong.

All his opinions are shit and his videos only exist to showcase what a special little faggot he is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom