Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Elex

Arbiter
You didn't read what you replied to, did you?

The ruleset edition isn't a problem, in my opinion, Icewind Dale 2 still plays similar to Icewind Dale at an abstract level even with all the changes from 2E to 3E.

Pointless story bickering aside, I wonder - is the next game after this one going to be called Baldur's Gate 4? Or Baldur's Gate 3 2?
Icewind dale 3
And the sequel: neverwinter night 3 and then: torment: original sin

Elex

Arbiter
Wasn't he torn apart by the Slayers and drowned in the lava lake?

We go to hell in the prologue and “accidentally” loot irenicus soul coin, and “accidentally” free him, he convince you to resurrect him.
Irenicus still have a vault full of bhaalspawn clones: he manage to reverse the bhaal resurection.

irenicus become so powerfull that he wipe out the mind flayer fleet.

so you have to stop irenicus going to avernus and recover the hand of vecna.

you have to kill tiamat with the support of raphael master: Bel.

the help of raphael and Bel will cost your soul, but bel tell you where you can find the eye of vecna.

you come back with the hand and eye of vecna for a final battle with irenicus.

after the battle you die and go directly to hell for fight in the blood wae and the nameless one tell you “first time?”

remember this post next year.

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Man, first Wasteland 3 is 60 euro and now this. I guess isometric RPGs are finally playing with the big boys.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
Comrades, at first I was half-joking about Irenicus. Now, seeing your comments, I am growing somewhat trepidatious. Especially since his voice actor is alive and more than willing to reprise his role, as we know all too well thanks to Siege of Dragonspear. Which, by the way, was a very decent game, fuck you Lilura.

kangaxx

Arbiter
Why pay full release price for a game in beta... and likely missing content? The main story will already be spoilt for you by the time Larian get round to adding the rest of the game around it.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Why pay full release price for a game in beta... and likely missing content? The main story will already be spoilt for you by the time Larian get round to adding the rest of the game around it.
If you think full price is too expensive for early access, you can instead wait a year and pay the same amount for the final release. Or even wait a bit longer than that for it to go on sale.

I'll be getting the BG3 EA because I want to evaluate Larian's D&D implementation and experiment with various builds.

kangaxx

Arbiter
Fair enough. I still think the problem with being content-spoilt before the full game is out is a problem though. Do you disagree or not bothered by that?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Fair enough. I still think the problem with being content-spoilt before the full game is out is a problem though.
Not really, the content will be almost the same regardless. Nobody is forcing you to play it a lot either way, you might give it a go with 1-2 classes/builds, give your 2c, and be done with it until full release. If Larian take our criticism during EA seriously, it will be worth it to give it and shape the game to our liking. Really, the only things I predict being iffy are the writing and the encounters. Encounters can be easily changed though, so that's a plus.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
And once again the RPG cycle starts:
- Early Access - 2020
- Release - 2021
- DLC + Patches - 2022
- Ultimate Edition - 2023

See you in three years. I hate that Dragon Age: Origins popularised mid-game DLCs.

kangaxx

Arbiter
Fair enough. I still think the problem with being content-spoilt before the full game is out is a problem though.
Not really, the content will be almost the same regardless. Nobody is forcing you to play it a lot either way, you might give it a go with 1-2 classes/builds, give your 2c, and be done with it until full release. If Larian take our criticism during EA seriously, it will be worth it to give it and shape the game to our liking. Really, the only things I predict being iffy are the writing and the encounters. Encounters can be easily changed though, so that's a plus.

Ok, that's changed my perspective a bit. Might be worth a pop.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamer.com/this-is-why...st-dollar60-when-it-launches-in-early-access/

This is why Baldur's Gate 3 will cost $60 when it launches in Early Access

Baldur's Gate 3 is tantalisingly close, or at least the Early Access version is. It's coming at the end of the month, and now we know how much cash will need to be slapped down if you want to take it for a spin early.

According to Larian director of publishing Michael Douse, Baldur's Gate 3 will be $60, making it Larian's priciest PC game. Divinity: Original Sin 2 was $60 on consoles, but on PC it launched at $45.

Douse revealed the price on Twitter, adding that people shouldn't "feel pressured to buy it during EA." As announced last month during the a livestream, the Early Access version will give you a 25-hour adventure that will take you to Faerun, Avernus and the Underdark. Drow and demons, what more could you want? That's just the first act, though, and the finished game will be, not surprisingly, quite a bit longer.

While this is a $15 increase over Larian's last game, Douse tells me that it reflects the size of the game and the team that designed it. Everything's bigger.

"DOS2 was finished with a much smaller team," he says. "Larian is over double the amount of people now, compared to when DOS2 launched. And BG3 is a bigger, deeper game with far higher production values. So not only did we increase depth, but we actually increased production values alongside it."

$60 for a new PC game is hardly uncommon, though in comparison to other Early Access games it is quite steep. Douse says he's seen very few complaints about paying $60 for a game that isn't finished yet, but he still worries about what he sees as a "perception problem" with Early Access. He argues that the $60 still nets Early Access players a full game when it's ready, and in the meantime the ability to play development builds and help shape the game adds additional value.

"It's better to think of Early Access as a playable preorder," he says. "Though of course it isn't exactly that. Its function is entirely to make the game better through pooling feedback and testing ideas, iterating directly with our audience."

Some Early Access players end up putting an ungodly number of hours into in-development games, submitting a litany of bug reports and feature requests. If players are doing QA, even if it's just because they're passionate about the game, there's an argument for that being reflected in a lower price or some other form of reciprocity.

While the price of Baldur's Gate 3 won't be reduced for Early Access, Douse notes some other ways that players can get value out of jumping in early.

"If people look back at the history of DOS2, there's a lot of reciprocity," he says. "We have transparent, consistent, intelligent conversations with our players. I think [they] feel listened to when our games are great value, with a huge amount of content, and we often come up with surprises that are more tangible. We don't have such plans for this yet (indeed during DOS2 at this stage we didn't either), but we did the Gift Bag DLCs, Definitive Edition update, etc. Huge investments, released for free. No promises on mirroring that, but I raise it to make the point that there are many other ways to cater to the audience outside of simply discounting at launch."

The Gift Bag DLCs, the latest of which appeared in June, have been given out to everyone, not just people who played during Early Access, but it still means that they've received a lot more than they paid for, even three years after launch.

"There are good ways and bad ways to do Early Access, but I do think we're doing it the right way," Douse says. "The point is we support our players long into EA, long after launch, long into the game's life-span. DOS2's final Gift Bag wasn't very long ago, and it's still getting updates. So I feel pretty strongly that not only is the value there at day one of Early Access, but the value of your $60 exponentially increases year on year in extraordinary ways. This was proven with DOS2, and BG3 is a new start of a similar journey from the same people."

I always feel a little bit strange embarking on an adventure in an Early Access RPG, because I know I'll never actually finish it. I'll hit the end of the Early Access version but have to wait months or years to start all over again. Of course, I'm willing to go through this terrible ordeal for Baldur's Gate 3. I mean, c'mon, Baldur's Gate 3. I've got to get my hands on it.

Regional prices have yet to be announced, but they'll be covered in an upcoming update ahead of the Early Access launch on September 30.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
LMFAO at the suckers paying 60 bucks to beta test my game.

Holy fck, I truly am a mastermind.

TidyBruisedHedgehog-size_restricted.gif

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You don't pay 60 bucks to beta test the game, you pay 60 bucks for the full game plus beta access. I don't see how that's any different than Kickstarter projects.

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
You don't pay 60 bucks to beta test the game, you pay 60 bucks for the full game plus beta access. I don't see how that's any different than Kickstarter projects.

On September 30th you're only paying for a 'full game' if you choose to delude yourself into thinking that's what it is. It's not. And won't be a for a while.

I do agree though that this is about as scummy as if they went back to Kickstarter. After earning a pretty hefty chunk of change with D:OS 2 I'm sure. They don't need to be doing this, is what I'm saying. But they are, because they're a bunch of shameless greedy pukes trying to take advantage of their fanbase.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
They don't need to be doing this, is what I'm saying. But they are, because they're a bunch of shameless greedy pukes trying to take advantage of their fanbase.
They don't use kickstarter or EA for anything else than a very sly and clever advertisement campaign. It's actually genius tbh, the clients don't feel ripped off (because they aren't) and Larian get free publicity and beta testing (they don't get more money because you get the full game afterwards, you don't buy it again later). Going the kickstarter route means they actually make less money because KS takes a cut, so there's no taking advantage of. It also means we get to feel like our criticism matters. And maybe it does, who knows. Either way, my point is that it's not a scummy practice.

Kamerad!

Have you already forgotten how much Divinity: Original Sin, Divinity: Original Sin 2, Wasteland 3 and so on costed on crowdfunding sites? That's right, only about 25 to 30 Reichsmark including beta access.

J1M

Arcane
This deserves its own thread, but I will bury it here instead. This is the new model for game development. At first the success of early access confounded me, but then I realized that it was just a manifestation of the economic realities of game dev combined with the fact that most people do not finish the games that they start. For the consumer that doesn't normally finish games, early access is a complete experience.

I don't have any delusions about being able to influence the game design, but I am looking forward to the BG3 early access release because I think it will give me an incentive to do something I don't do that often: experiment with multiple character builds in a long RPG. Knowing that they are throwaway characters and that only a subset of the game will be available makes me more interested in experimenting with different builds.

Harthwain

Magister
Kickstarter projects aren't guaranteed to succeed. Early Access titles may fail to deliver (read: be stuck in Early Access forever), but you have a playable game out of it, rather than having your money disappear without a trace.

On September 30th you're only paying for a 'full game' if you choose to delude yourself into thinking that's what it is. It's not. And won't be a for a while.
You are paying for the full game. Assuming it releases. That's the idea. Yes, it's not the finished product, hence the name "Early Access" (and not "Pre-order").

I do agree though that this is about as scummy as if they went back to Kickstarter. After earning a pretty hefty chunk of change with D:OS 2 I'm sure. They don't need to be doing this, is what I'm saying. But they are, because they're a bunch of shameless greedy pukes trying to take advantage of their fanbase.
Kickstarter is more scummy than Early Access, because there is literally no control over Kickstarter and no failsafes of any kind (no refunds when the project gets funded). It operates solely on the goodwill of people pitching for the product and people willing to risk their dime to see it happen. You can't be scammed in that manner by buying an Early Access on Steam, because there has to be the game in the first place and there is the possibility to refund as well.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
I always find it funny that Codex hates Kickstarter and Early Access. As flawed systems as they are, without them RPG Codex would be subforum at Bethesda.net. Reminds me of white feminists who hate western civilization

Yosharian

Arcane
I actually respect that they are coming out in Early Access as a way to improve the game before full release. I think there is an aspect of trying to have one's cake and eat it here, but I at least respect the honesty of it, as opposed to other developers who release games in a half-finished state and attach the 'full game' label to them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom