Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Why does everyone in this game look so fucking gay? I'm not even sure whether that's supposed to be a man or a woman.

The project director looks like this
4cCqVvFl_400x400.jpg

Though I actually like the haircut of the person in the thumbnail. Looks a bit Hard Nova, though HN gal has a prettier face.
25255_front.jpg
Patel has written things that aren't aggressively shit, though, and while she's got the dyke haircut, she doesn't look like the androgynous lovechild of two gay clones. It's not just the haircuts, it's that everyone looks like they've got some kind of chromosomal disorder that leaves them biologically transexual.
That's a pretty standard look for any female NPC in The Outer Worlds, don't blame Carrie.

Hm, the character art lead on TOW was Omar Aweidah who went on to be the character art lead on Crucible.
maxresdefault.jpg
Looking at that, that's a more likely culprit, yes.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Now that you mention it, it's funny that both FO:NV's first DLC (Dead Money) and this one have a BioShock inspiration.

kangaxx

Arbiter
You know what, ive tried messing with the game, and surprisingly enough you can kill every character so far xD. Killed reed, anabelle, parvati, whole edgewater That's a huge incline.

I have to agree that murdering everyone in the game is fun. When you aggro a whole town that reputation really goes into free fall, and you get that funny "reputation decreased" sound effect on repeat. Quality gaming.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
You know what, ive tried messing with the game, and surprisingly enough you can kill every character so far xD. Killed reed, anabelle, parvati, whole edgewater That's a huge incline.

I have to agree that murdering everyone in the game is fun. When you aggro a whole town that reputation really goes into free fall, and you get that funny "reputation decreased" sound effect on repeat. Quality gaming.

Please don't be sarcastic. Also journal recognize your deeds. Much of codex was butthurt about F3 with its immortal npcs and how decline it is, and now killing npcs is a decline? Can you people make up your minds xD

orcinator

Liturgist

Please don't be sarcastic. Also journal recognize your deeds. Much of codex was butthurt about F3 with its immortal npcs and how decline it is, and now killing npcs is a decline? Can you people make up your minds xD
Killing is decline since the gameplay sucks (of course the nonviolent solutions are boring as well).

I’ve been playing this. Just got to Monarch. Honest question: why is this so derided.by the Codex? Is it just the silly culture wars nonsense? I mean the game isn’t amazing by any means, but it’s thus far completely serviceable. The combat is the only thing about it that I would say is downright bad, but I’ve pretty much come to expect that from Obsidian games at this point. I like the art design, specially the stuff relating to the corporations and colonial aesthetics, variety of C&C seems quite solid, and I haven’t experienced a single bug or crash thus far. I did, admittedly, get it for $1 as part of the game pass trial, so it’s not as though I was ever going to feel cheated, but all in all it seems like a solid enough little game. I would probably say I’m enjoying it more than I did PoE1 at launch (although my expectations for PoE were much higher than for Outer Worlds). If the game maintains momentum and consistency through endgame it seems like an easy 7.5/10 to me.

jackofshadows

Magister
Killing is decline since the gameplay sucks (of course the nonviolent solutions are boring as well).
Have to strongly agree here. The idea itself that every NPC can be killed is really refreshing these days and they've had it from the start but problem is that neigher killing everybody (after a short wile, anyway) nor peaceful solutions i.e. passing checks (since role-play system is loose as old hooker's butt and the writing bland) is fun in this game.

Besides, even if genocide is technically possible - given its extreme nature it's still not exactly well thought out from the end point perspective. As far as I know, you just getting death-settlements slides and then the usual chosen-path ones, even Arcanum's few slides "you went with Kerghan back to the world, killed every living being, then had an argument, you win so enjoy your jorney around empty soulless world" is more fun than that.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why is this so derided.by the Codex?
Codex loves to slam anything that isn't super amazing, and Outer Worlds isn't super amazing. I don't think it's worth the effort to insult it really, but it didn't live up to its potential.

Outer Worlds, as far as I got, was jarringly compressed in a way I found off-putting. Plenty of games use negative space to wonderful effect and this density was certainly not necessary nor called for here. One can say with validity that the compression is for "gameplay reasons", but that doesn't automatically make that gameplay good. I tend to think this is, if anything, not an attempt to design "well", but instead to sell better to a lower common denominator with a shorter attention span. I'm happy to buy the low budget theory as well. In either case, not something we should be pleased about.

I didn't encounter any bugs in my short time with Outer Worlds. I wouldn't even say it was boring exactly, just lackluster and undercooked.

I quit when a group of raiders took a hostage, and you could overhear them talking about how much of a ransom they could get, and how they wished they could get this over with. But there was no way to bargain or negotiate with them, sneak past them or distract them to save the hostage - the only way to continue that mission was to walk towards them while left clicking.

KVVRR

Learned
You know what, ive tried messing with the game, and surprisingly enough you can kill every character so far xD. Killed reed, anabelle, parvati, whole edgewater. That's a huge incline.
I'd have cared more about it if the game gave a shit I wiped out an entire colony several times over outside of the first planet. Did anyone ever called you out on it besides the ship calling you a psycho after your first liftoff?

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why is this so derided.by the Codex?
Codex loves to slam anything that isn't super amazing, and Outer Worlds isn't super amazing.

Fallout, Arcanum and Torment aren't anywhere near super amazing and yet the Codex slurps their cocks like Tim Cain after a month of solitary.

It's (rightfully) derided by the codex because the there's absolutely nothing redeemable about it. The stat system sucks. The setting and characters suck. The c&c sucks. There's nothing there for combatfags or storyfags.

KVVRR

Learned
I’ve been playing this. Just got to Monarch. Honest question: why is this so derided.by the Codex? Is it just the silly culture wars nonsense? I mean the game isn’t amazing by any means, but it’s thus far completely serviceable. The combat is the only thing about it that I would say is downright bad, but I’ve pretty much come to expect that from Obsidian games at this point. I like the art design, specially the stuff relating to the corporations and colonial aesthetics, variety of C&C seems quite solid, and I haven’t experienced a single bug or crash thus far. I did, admittedly, get it for $1 as part of the game pass trial, so it’s not as though I was ever going to feel cheated, but all in all it seems like a solid enough little game. I would probably say I’m enjoying it more than I did PoE1 at launch (although my expectations for PoE were much higher than for Outer Worlds). If the game maintains momentum and consistency through endgame it seems like an easy 7.5/10 to me.
It's very, very bland. The "haha corporation bad" jokes are funny for the first and half of the second hubs but they get really annoying afterwards and the issue only get worse. I seriously couldn't care about anyone on Monarch at all besides that little kid that grows up to be a hostile npc you can't talk to, that's more of an easter egg than anything.
It really could've used some other content besides how awful corporations are in general, I grew up watching Futurama and a lot of these jokes really felt like I had already seen them there, and that show came out two decades ago. There even was a stupid, boring parody sport in it too.
VIoqVi1.gif

Bliblablubb

Arcane
I once stared down the abyss of people complaining "wHy cAnT i kIlL eVeRyOnE!!!!!", especially kids, in a Bethesda game, citing "roleplaying a massmurderer", "testing the mechanics" or other abstruse crap.... oh boy.
After that I am convinced that Todd nailed a giant sign saying "Make every kid and as many NPCs as possible invulnerable!" in every office, just to avoid Fox News dragging one of those psychopaths in front a of camera and making a "Bethesda games are all about genocide and mass murder" spin.

"bUt I aM rOlePlAyInG!!!!". No, you are in need of serious help. :obviously:

Drowed

Arcane
You havent played many actually bad games have you?

Can you blame him? I mean, if when you start playing a game you find that it's terrible, most sane people abandon the game and it probably doesn't even stay in your memory. I myself only remember the games that I found "meh", or better. TOW is perfectly playable, but deeply generic, uninspired and superficial. The more you look at the world, the more caricatured and soulless it seems. Although visually I found it very pleasant, both in the design of the environments and in the art direction - excluding here the characters that seem to have mashed potato faces.

I honestly surprised myself with how positive the reception of the game was. I think a lot of people were simply missing something that reminded them (even if superficially) of the Bethesda's games, and couldn't stand to play one more version of Skyrim, so whatever came from anyone else in that style they would devour. And devour it they did.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom