Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What can change the nature of a man?

JoonaAhonen

Prospernaut
Shitposter
Salutations everybody! Fellow RPG gamer here. I am here once again to discuss RPG gaming. This time the subject is going to be none other than the amazing RPG game, that is Planetscape: Torment! I originally started my RPG gaming as a kid with titles such as Skyrim, Fallout and Pokemon. I never knew much about real RPGs but now I have played the best RPG game in history, and I must say: I am mind-blown. It was such a great experience and the story was so deep! It was like reading a book! I really want to play Tides of Numenera now, which is a nice looking sequel from the makers of Wasteland 3. and I just wanted to recommend the game to everyone here. It truly is the best RPG game of human history. What can change the nature of a man? Planetscape: Torment can!!

What are your mind-blowing experiences with RPG games?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
A vagina.

Ok, lets be serious here. PST was just a contrarian game and the codex likes it because it is so contrarian.

It's a book with clicking. But it's an interesting book with arguably the best writing in a video game to date.

But it's a book. Not sure what's so contrarian about that.

Falksi

Arcane
Amazing OP, vaginas & Mark Knopfler before post 7

Greatest thread ever.

JXHMHw8.png

Goldschmidt

Learned
A vagina.

Ok, lets be serious here. PST was just a contrarian game and the codex likes it because it is so contrarian.

It's a book with clicking. But it's an interesting book with arguably the best writing in a video game to date.

It is contrarian because it laughs with the concept of classical fetch quests by giving you one of immense length in Sigil.

Rats that are elite enemies.

JRPG-style spell casting animations in a western rpg.

A protagonist you can't even name but is called the 'Nameless One'.

A lot more but can't remember. PST likes to turn things on their head. IT is meant as a parody for classical rpg's.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
A vagina.

It is contrarian because it laughs with the concept of classical fetch quests by giving you one of immense length in Sigil.

A lot more but can't remember. PST likes to turn things on their head. IT is meant as a parody for classical rpg's.

43622392.jpg

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik

TNO is immortal but dies all the time.
TNO is a clean slate due to the amnesia, but has a shitton of past personalities.
Main goal in not to save the world, but to find your mortality and finally go to hell. (Venom's "Leave Me in Hell" plays in the background)
Morte is a fucking skull, but is the most lively and lustful character in the game.
Morte is a coward, but one of the best fighters in the TNO team.
Dakkon talks about freedom all the time, but he is in TNO anal slavery.
Dakkon talks about order, but comes from the plane of Chaos.
Fall from Grace is a whore, but a virgin.
Fall from Grace is an angel, but comes from the demon plane making her angel-succubus. Angel-succubus whore-virgin, yes.
Ignus was punished with the permanent burning, but he actually enjoys that.
There are four women who are in love with TNO and not a single one of them can be romanced.
Nordom is a corrupted member of his race, but the most useful one.
Vhailor is all about justice, but TNO can use him to commit the most heinous crimes.
Lawful good characters are merciless killers and just assholes.
PST is a story driven game, but trash combat is abundant.
PST takes place in a one of D&D settings, but unlike most of them is very gritty and has a lot of stuff like allowing a woman to fumble in TNO intestines.
There is no body armour in the game and almost no swords. Most of the weapons are bones, torn hands, legs, antlers, nails, teeth and such.

PST is a masterful deconstruction of a typical D&D fantasy at all levels. The true testimony to the talent of MCA, especially considering the fact that he worked on PST as a side project. Glory to MCA! Demise to the people who brought him down!

latest

Is "contrarian" some kind of pleb talk for subversive

I can never tell with these young pedestrians
PST is subversive, because it turns classic D&D and RPG tropes on their head. It does it spectactularly well. RPG codex is contrarian, because they like to shit on good things just because other people like it, or elevate questionable execution betond what it deserves. Edgelords here do that spectacularly well.

An encounter with ChatGPT would put Ravel on suicide watch.

Ezd68QA.jpg

Plancescape Torment

:negative:
Chat GPT is wrong though. Those who self reflect don't necessarily change. Often times they engage in all manner of rationalization to justify the decisions they have made.

Regret is implicit in having changed from a former viewpoint. That, more than anything, is why regret/remorse is the correct answer.

Humbaba

Arcane
WELL AKHTCHUALLY the answer PST itself provides is "belief" or more precisely whatever you *believe* can change the nature of a man can, regret being one of those things. This means that there's no single correct answer, which is why Ravel doesn't care about finding it but rather wanting to get TNO i.e. the player's answer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom